The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2008, 12:13 PM

How about a Martin JG16RGTE? I got one a month or so ago and it's great. Affordable as far as guitars go with a neck like an aircraft carrier. Brighter mids than you would think but it still sounds like a Martin. I think the 16 series jumbos all have 1 3/4-2 1/4 necks.
Alvarez RD20SC
Old 02-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Hey poorbs, Thanks for the tip!
TTM-KAE

"Whether you have good taste or not depends on how many people agree with you" - George Martin
Old 01-11-2009, 01:23 PM

Default All solid - wide neck

I've been hunting for reasonably priced wide neck, all solid acoustics as this is going to be my next buy, possibly an electro, with curves as I prefer the comfort so dreadnoughts are out . Found the following in english pounds, cheapest first, all solid woods with 1.75 (45mm) necks
...Crafter TV300 £380. Walden G300 £400. Crafter TV300 electro £450 (loads of Crafters have wide necks). Guild GAD 30r £500. Guild GAD 30 pce £550. Guild GAD 30re £600. Eastman acoustics have wide necks £500 - £700. Martin 000-15s £860. Gibson songwriter series £600 - £1600. Taylor GA series £780 - £1600. Martin JC16RGTE £1200.
And that's about it, I haven't looked at really expensive models as I'd never consider buying one. So I have to decide what price range and which guitar to go for.If anyones got any feedback on the above or know of any models I've missed please let me know, happy playing.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallbloke44 View Post
I've been hunting for reasonably priced wide neck, all solid acoustics as this is going to be my next buy, possibly an electro, with curves as I prefer the comfort so dreadnoughts are out . Found the following in english pounds, cheapest first, all solid woods with 1.75 (45mm) necks...
Hi tallbloke44...
Do I detect an accent from across the pond? First off, hello and welcome to the group. Thanks for joining and jumping in...

Youv'e been doing some reading if you picked up on a thread that is 11 months old (not a problem).

Our rules don't permit open discussion of the prices of guitars in the group (private messaging is fine). We can discuss the prices of other gear, just not guitars...

My recommendation would be for you to go and play the guitars you are considering and pick the one that best suits your playing and your ears. Price and builder can have a real impact on the outcome, but the real test is your hands and ears on an instrument, not ours.

All we can offer you is opinions of guitars based on our skills, and style, on guitars.

Speaking of that, what style are you planning to use the guitar for?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-11-2009, 07:34 PM

hdueck,

Martin makes a few models with wider than 1-3/4" nut widths. Typically in their 2 fret models. If you look at some of their 12 fret 0 and 00s such as the 0-16NY or 00-21NY as examples. Occasionally, you can find other Martin models with wider necks, as well as, some Santa Cruz, Collings and Bourgeois models. And of course you can always order wider from any builder and the one-man-shop builders will make anything you want.

Also, I have a 1985 Ovation Folklore that has a 12 fret neck, spruce top and 1-7/8" nut width, slim low-profile 5-piece laminated neck. Awesome fingerstyle player and very comfortable to play, if one can get by the all-to-normal Ovation bias. Oh by the way, it is for sale, if you are interested.

Brian
Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 PM

I have a Recording King RD-227 with a 1 3/4" neck.
It also has a modified V neck.
This is a great guitar for the money.
Check them out here. http://guitarhut.net/
Old 01-11-2009, 08:09 PM

Default Get a Stanford!

The Stanford (Performer Series) Guitars offer an extremely well contoured 1-3/4" neck..... and are some of the best sounding sub $1K guitars you will find.

Ryan
Old 01-11-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
How much do you want to spend and how wide do you want the neck to be? 1 3/4" or more.
1-3/4 has become pretty standard and I wouldn't consider it a "wide" neck. I'd bet if you walked into any guitar store, 80% of the acoustics would have a 1-3/4" nut.

Since the OP is having trouble finding a "wide" nut, I'd bet that he's already tried plenty of 1-3/4" guitars and is looking for something wider.

Some people have suggested looking at some of the smaller body guitars as some manufacturers build those with 1-7/8" nuts. That's some good advice there. To get some idea of the width of a 1-7/8" nut, capo a 1-3/4" nut guitar at the 4th fret and play it. Naturally, the space between the frets will be wider on a true 1-7/8" nut guitar, but the space between the strings will be pretty close.

If that's not enough, then your choices become even more limited. You could go with a 12-string with half the strings removed, as someone suggested, or you'll have to go with a custom made guitar.

But as I was typing that, another thought came to mind. You might try playing a capoed up baritone guitar. That might be fun.

Good luck on your guitar hunt!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdueck View Post
I am looking for an acoustic guitar that has a wide neck. I have a 1971 Yamaha FG2000 that I really love but my fingers are somewhat stubby and they are getting stiffer in my middle age. I also play a Yamaha classical guitar and find it much "friendlier" to play because of the wider neck. I love the bright sound of a spruce top acoustic and am wondering if any of you know of a wide neck spruce top acoustic guitar.

And if you ever want to sell your FG2000, drop me a line. I'll give it a good home!!

Vincent
Old 01-12-2009, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Hi, just thought i'd chime in. I've got a Larrivee SD-50. It's got a 1 7/8" nut width that took some getting used to but since then its become the most comfortable guitar i own for fingerpicking, barre chords are another matter! The wide nut width is counterbalanced by a fairly slim neck profile, not chunky, nor as comfrotable as my old Guild but it feels fine nonetheless, just takes some getting used to.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 AM

Default wide neck

Try the martin smartwood om model. I love mine.

I also just looked at a martin hd28 s custom from graigs list here in saint louis. perfect for you. sound is killer

he want s 2 thousand for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdueck View Post
I am looking for an acoustic guitar that has a wide neck. I have a 1971 Yamaha FG2000 that I really love but my fingers are somewhat stubby and they are getting stiffer in my middle age. I also play a Yamaha classical guitar and find it much "friendlier" to play because of the wider neck. I love the bright sound of a spruce top acoustic and am wondering if any of you know of a wide neck spruce top acoustic guitar.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:31 AM

My Martin 000-28EC has a 1 3/4 neck on it and it's very comfy. Really depends on how much you're wanting to spend.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 01-12-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi tallbloke44...
Do I detect an accent from across the pond? First off, hello and welcome to the group. Thanks for joining and jumping in...

Youv'e been doing some reading if you picked up on a thread that is 11 months old (not a problem).

Our rules don't permit open discussion of the prices of guitars in the group (private messaging is fine). We can discuss the prices of other gear, just not guitars...

My recommendation would be for you to go and play the guitars you are considering and pick the one that best suits your playing and your ears. Price and builder can have a real impact on the outcome, but the real test is your hands and ears on an instrument, not ours.

All we can offer you is opinions of guitars based on our skills, and style, on guitars.

Speaking of that, what style are you planning to use the guitar for?
Thanks for the reply...Yeah I'm from Liverpool U.K. I'm planning on experimenting with what I play on my classical on steal strings mainly...melodic finger picking trying for a beautiful sound as opposed to flamenco thrashing.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:00 AM

Default Seagull S6 Folk Wide Neck

For anyone looking for a wide neck acoustic guitar for finger picking, the Seagull S6 Folk is ideal with a nut width of 1.8 inches. They go for $400 new, but I have purchased one for $215 used but in new condition and see another used one for sale right now for $250 that is "like new." Sold cedar top and great sound.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf42 View Post
"As to acoustics with wide necks, I've seen a couple of players take a standard 12 string guitar and remove the ''high'' strings, turning it into a wide necked 6 string instrument."

I was looking at THIS on eBay when they had one with a pickup for $69 shipped last week. What got me was the width of the neck......2 1/16th! I wrote the guy and he said that it was no mis-print, the necks at the nuts were 2 1/16th.......how is that for a wide neck? LOL
Yes,but doesi t SOUND tinny??"Never met a Guitar I didn't tlike"-Me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion