The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-30-2022, 08:53 AM

Glenn! What a fantastic cover. You hit all the notes including that fat lead sound. Great singing too as this song requires a great range.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 11-30-2022, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Really enjoyed Wicked Ways and equally I enjoyed a bit of Glenn history above!
Thank you Bob!

I always appreciate hearing from you! And I am so glad you enjoyed my cover of "Wicked Game," and that you didn't mind my long response to GITM. Thank you for your kind words and for taking time to respond!

I hope all is well for you Bob!

- Glenn
Old 11-30-2022, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Glenn! What a fantastic cover. You hit all the notes including that fat lead sound. Great singing too as this song requires a great range.
Hi Started!

It's great to hear from you! Thank you for listening and taking time to comment here! Much appreciated! I'm glad you thought this came out well!

Yes, Chris Isaak uses a fair amount of vocal range, mostly because he tends to start out his songs so low. Most singers these days don't really want to use that low register, but Chris Isaak really makes good use of it, very much the way Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison did. He also knows how to keep his voice musical when singing down low. He really has mastered that style.

That fat sound from the Stratocaster comes from the neck pickup, as I'm sure you realize. I actually had to take most of the bass out of the guitar amp because the sound was almost too fat. The pickups on this new Strat Pro II that I have sound really great.

Thank you again for taking time to comment, Started! I hope all is well for you and your family!

- Glenn
Old 11-30-2022, 05:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just fantastic! I've always loved this song too, and am frequently disappointed when some folks try to cover it. But you nailed it - the vocals, the guitars and the whole production. Bravo, my friend!!
Old 11-30-2022, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Crazy good. Great work on all fronts, Glenn. Cheers

Paul

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-30-2022, 06:27 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi GITM,

My family and I did some professional performing back from 1986-1992 around the Pacific Northwest where my wife and I put together all original songs about the Northwest and our family performed about 30 community concert performances per year over those years. We produced two albums plus a Christmas album, recorded in our own studio with a Tascam 388 8-track tape machine.

I hope all is well for you! Take care!

- Glenn
Thanks for the background, Glenn. I surmised you had a professional background, but clearly music has been part of your life for a long time. You are very talented and I suspect some of the detail-orientation required in engineering serves you well in the production process. It's really good!

Given your time spent in the PNW writing and performing, I wonder if you ever happened upon an old troubadour named Jack Williams? Just curious...

As for me, all is well here in the KC area! Just waiting on old man winter to come knocking...
Old 11-30-2022, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Just fantastic! I've always loved this song too, and am frequently disappointed when some folks try to cover it. But you nailed it - the vocals, the guitars and the whole production. Bravo, my friend!!
Thank you Larry!

How nice of you!! Thank you for your kind words!

I agree, this is a difficult song to sing well, I think because Chris Isaak covers so much vocal range. Some people sound better on the low stuff but not so good on the high stuff, or vice versa. Also, it's tough to sing a song like this with such long notes and still maintain correct pitch. It takes considerable practice, time, and effort.

I am really pleased that you felt this came out well, Larry! Thank you for taking time to comment!

I hope your business is doing well! I also hope you and your family are all well!

- Glenn
Old 11-30-2022, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Crazy good. Great work on all fronts, Glenn. Cheers

Paul
Thank you so much Paul!

I'm glad you got a chance to listen to this; and thank you for taking time to comment and offer support! It's greatly appreciated!

I am extremely pleased that you thought this came out well! Thanks so much for your kind feedback!

I hope all is well for you, Paul!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 12-01-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Thanks for the background, Glenn. I surmised you had a professional background, but clearly music has been part of your life for a long time. You are very talented and I suspect some of the detail-orientation required in engineering serves you well in the production process. It's really good!

Given your time spent in the PNW writing and performing, I wonder if you ever happened upon an old troubadour named Jack Williams? Just curious...

As for me, all is well here in the KC area! Just waiting on old man winter to come knocking...
Hi GITM!

Man, I bet winter is a challenge out there in the KC area! Stay safe and warm! I have been in your neck of the woods during some difficult winter weather and remember the experience rather well.

I do have some recollection of the name Jack Williams associated with a guitar player or troubadour, but my memory is not real clear. My brain is very good at dumping information I haven't used for a while. I supposed that gives me better access to more recent information, but I can lose information from my past.

Thanks for your response to my rather long answer to your very generous comments. Take care!

- Glenn
Old 11-30-2022, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Wow! One of your best productions!!

Really enjoyable, Glenn
Old 11-30-2022, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Wow! One of your best productions!!

Really enjoyable, Glenn
Thank you Bob!

I really appreciate the kind words! I'm so glad you thought this came across well! I do appreciate your time in watching this and in offering your supportive comments here!

I hope all is well for you, Bob, as the winter approaches! Enjoy the holiday season!

- Glenn
Old 12-01-2022, 12:50 PM

I'm a big Chris Isaak Fan I also do the song but your version is great!!
For ease of playing and singing I capo Fret 1 or 2 depending on the day and play it in Am

Now I wish I played bass and knew how to do all the fancy camera stuff Makes the recording so much better

Great voice!!
Old 12-01-2022, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I'm a big Chris Isaak Fan I also do the song but your version is great!!
For ease of playing and singing I capo Fret 1 or 2 depending on the day and play it in Am

Now I wish I played bass and knew how to do all the fancy camera stuff Makes the recording so much better

Great voice!!
Thank you CASD57! I appreciate your watching and your comments very much!

Yes, a person could certainly capo the guitar and play |Am|G|D|D|. It would work just as well. For me, there is something quite a bit fuller sounding in the E chord using the progression |Bm|A|E|E|. But there are often multiple ways to play a song.

If you can play the guitar, you could very likely learn to play a bass. And there are some good sounding basses out there for reasonable cost. I don't even have a bass amp. I plug into my computer interface and use a bass program from Guitar Rig, which is a plug-in to my DAW (Cubase). I also have a rack mount processor from Line 6 (Line 6 POD HD Pro X) with several bass programs in it.

Thanks for taking time to watch and comment! And thanks for your kind words, as well! I hope all is well for you!

-Glenn
Old 12-01-2022, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

What an outstanding presentation Glenn! It fits your voice perfectly and your playing was terrific. It’s a pretty great song and I think it might be one of the very best covers I’ve ever heard. Snap, snap (fingers snapping)!
Old 12-01-2022, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
What an outstanding presentation Glenn! It fits your voice perfectly and your playing was terrific. It’s a pretty great song and I think it might be one of the very best covers I’ve ever heard. Snap, snap (fingers snapping)!
Thank you Paul!

Thank you so much! That's pretty nice, Paul! I'm so glad you thought this came out well! Of course, a person has to like the song first, and I'm glad you do! It was a fun project for me, and I'm really glad folks are appreciative.

Thanks for your very encouraging response here! It's greatly appreciated! You've made my day!!!

I hope all is well for you, Paul!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell