The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-12-2011, 02:53 AM

... I was hoping that by putting in that I would need to build all new jigs to do something other than an OM or Dread would limit the other choices

No mercy... I see how you guys are...

Wood and inlay thoughts are appreciated but they don't count until that question is asked
Old 11-12-2011, 03:11 AM

I think a 000 is in order. I'm just saying'. Small and powerful, something a little out of your more common styles.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:32 AM

A modified dread sounds really nice...
Old 11-12-2011, 07:16 AM

I vote for a 000 12fret, slotted head stock with a dread depth body.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 AM

12 fret 1 3/4" nut long scale 000.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:19 AM

I think ole Harv is pullin' our collective leg. No way he's been building guitars for 40 years. He's only about 34!

OK, maybe I'm wrong, but I would expect someone who's been whittling on banjo necks and such for 40 years to look a lot more grizzled. Why, Harv can get around spryly without his walker, most all the time!

Congratulations on this upcoming milestone, my friend. Because I like what you've been doing so much, I got nothing.

Except thanks!
cotten
Old 11-12-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I think ole Harv is pullin' our collective leg. No way he's been building guitars for 40 years. He's only about 34!

OK, maybe I'm wrong, but I would expect someone who's been whittling on banjo necks and such for 40 years to look a lot more grizzled. Why, Harv can get around spryly without his walker, most all the time!

Congratulations on this upcoming milestone, my friend. Because I like what you've been doing so much, I got nothing.

Except thanks!
cotten
Cotten....Thanks!....but you need new glasses
Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Harvey, you're TOO generous opening up the decision making process to the whole world. Let me restate that--reserve some of those decisions for yourself.
That being said, let me tell you what to do:

Build the very first guitar shape you ever did. Whatever it was.
This is a celebration of your career--so far.
Let's see you dance with the first one that got you out on the floor.

(And then we can tell you all the rest....)

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 PM

I would love to see a 00 built totally of domestic materials . I won't go too far and suggest that it be a lefty .
I will even donate a back/side set of Walnut for an all domestic short scale 00 12 fret . I know just the piece . It has been resting for over 5 years .
Congratulations on 40 years of building . May you have many more .
Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I would love to see a 00 built totally of domestic materials . I won't go too far and suggest that it be a lefty .
I will even donate a back/side set of Walnut for an all domestic short scale 00 12 fret . I know just the piece . It has been resting for over 5 years .
Congratulations on 40 years of building . May you have many more .
Thanks for the wood offer but to make this work I need to use wood that is in my shop, ready to start building with on Jan. 1 As far as the lefty, all of my guitars can be strung up either left or right (barring a cutaway obviously)
Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 AM

OK, so it’s time to move to question # 2 but first here is what I have decided for the body style. Just for the record the vote was 00 – 7, 000/OM – 7, Dread – 5 (I counted all votes so if you voted for a 00 or 000 each got 1). The body style I’m choosing is based partially on the tally but also based on the comments of a couple of people.

Steve: Build the very first guitar shape you ever did. Whatever it was.
Jay: ...something a little out of your more common styles.
dekutree64: I shall vote... a banjo.

...no wait,... how did that get in there...

My first guitar was a modified dreadnought, way back before it was trendy! I really never even thought about it until people started to mention a modified dread (I actually had to look it up to see what exactly was modified... who knew!) my first guitar was based on an old beater my dad had, I traced it and never looked back. in fact I didn’t realize that I had essentially reproduced it with my prototype Voyage Air dread (in 2004, back before there was a company called Voyage Air) so really, this model actually has 2 ties to my “beginning.”

Now what is interesting (and should help to understand why I didn’t go with one of the models that got more votes) is that one of the “mods” on that first guitar was that while it was a dread it was only 15” at the lower bout! likewise, when I designed the original VG dread I wanted it to fit in the same case as the OM (to make it as small as possible and so I didn’t have to stock 2 cases) I was amazed to find just how close the 2 guitars, separated by so many years, were in shape and dimensions. So, the body of choice will be my “modified” dread, it’s where I started, I think dreads are my best guitars and it should satisfy anyone who prefers a smaller body size. The main difference between the “original” the the VG-D is the VG-D is a slope-shoulder. Just for fun here are pictures of my first guitar and my first VG dread.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
dekutree64: I shall vote... a banjo.

...no wait,... how did that get in there...

You said "40 years since I whittled my first banjo neck", so I figured it was worth a thought to go back to the beginning

I approve of your choice though. I just finished up a 15" dread-like guitar, with short-ish 24.75" scale. Love it. I'll definitely be building more.

Now what's the next question?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:53 AM
*mahoganut*

Very cool! 15" modified dread, nice curves on that beauty Harv!

Next question?

(oh, and a suggestion to consider... depending on how this anniversary guitar turns out, maybe a limited run release based on the same shapes and woods, but perhaps with more standard ornamentation?)

Thanks for the ride!

Phil
Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Harvey,
Interesting choice on body style/size. I'm glad that the final selection wasn't simply based on AGF votes. I also like that the body size isn't typical dread width; I like 15" lower bouts. What's the body depth going to be?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Harvy,

Hopefully it will not be a slothead. : )

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop