The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-25-2015, 08:06 PM

Default Flight case for Stratocaster

Hi Folks;

Please let me know your opinion on which flight case is preferred for checked guitars. I've found Calton (Austin), Hoffee and the SKB Si waterproof as the major players. Thank you all much - Landru
Old 05-28-2015, 07:46 PM

I imagine that everyone who has visited this thread was hoping that I was going to give the answer instead of ask the question.

My luthier - John Carruthers - has an opinion, and that is the SKB 3i series of waterproof, recessed TSA locks with wheels case. If he's right, that saves a tone of cash. I've seen a demo video of this case, where is demonstrator from SKB jumped up and down on the flat of the case. However, he was careful to jump at the edges and not inside the flat zone where all of the guitar and none of the edge support is. Not a convincing demo, IMO.

The alternatives are Calton (Austin) and Hoffee. Expensive. Any thoughts?
Old 05-29-2015, 07:49 AM
Cocobologist

I don't travel with electrics, but think any of the choices you listed would be fine. Another option might be the classic Anvil flight case. Seems to be the choice of many touring pros. Older technology, but seems to do the job.

Good luck in your search!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 05-29-2015, 08:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If it is really going down into the hold often, my choice would be Anvil or Calzone Cases. We just cased a bunch of gear for a fly-pack P.A. and used Calzone. We've got both Anvil and Calzone and they both last and last.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars