The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Guest 928

I've had my X10N for 5 years and it's a keeper. It is the most comfortable guitar I've ever played, it has an incredibly high fret reach, and it sounds good.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:23 AM

I'm leaning heavily towards an X20 with modified scale/nut/string spacing - the portability factor for me is largely about resilience to conditions (car journeys, outdoors etc.), rather than size, anyway.

I've been in contact with Alistair by email, and hoping he's not fed up yet with all my questions...

If you're reading Alistair, thanks for all the help so far.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 05-27-2015, 12:13 PM

If size isn't critical, I'd definitely go for X20 too. Mainly because I prefer the sound of the larger guitar.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-27-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
I'm considering my first CF guitar, possibly to replace one of my Taylors, but either way to have something to take on holiday, especially when travelling within the UK by car.

So, a number of questions.

1. What does the neck profile compare best to? I have two Taylors, and the Martin D28 with its own version of a low profile - is the standard X7 similar?

2. I'd don't really need electronics, but would prefer one with for all eventualities - if I ever go to open mics it's likely I'd use this for beer-proofing - the question is whether the K&K mini option entirely replaces the B-band electronics? I assume it does, leaving a passive output only, and no hole in the side/battery compartment/battery to worry about.

3. Scale length. I have a variety on my existing guitars, and picked up a s/h Taylor Baby this weekend which has a just usable 22.75" scale. I'd prefer more than 24" on a guitar that I'd be using more seriously, but wonder whether it's worth the custom price, and perhaps moreover, whether it would upset the balance of the guitar's playability and tone anyway to deviate from standard?

4. Finish. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the gloss vs "black ice"? Does the gloss mark up badly and easily?

5. Customisation. Has anyone specified anything away from the standard offerings? What was the experience and end result?

Thanks for any insights you may offer.
I own both the X7 and a D-28, so I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1. The X7 neck profile is a slim C compared to the D-28 low profile (more like a Breedlove).

2. Highly recommend you go without the electronics and have a K&K mini installed. I really like the K&K in general (have it in my D-28) and like the smaller/lighter package in the smaller bodies like the X7.

3. I had a Little Martin and couldn't bond with the ultra short scale. The X7 scale is fine and I have no issue going back and forth between the D-28 and the X7.

4. I bought the X7 for travel, so I prefer the Crystal Ice of the Opus series because its less prone to showing marks (the top is still high gloss).

5. I did not get any custom features from Emerald, but I did have the saddle changed to Mother of Pearl and use 80/20 medium strings as I like the added warmth of this set up (see MacNichol, www.macnichol.com for the MOP saddle).

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
Hope this helps.
Stephen, yes, thanks.

As per my above post I've decided to go for the larger X20 to entirely replace my 512ce. I still have some thinking to do - but one thing you've mentioned really helps - the K&K it will be.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 AM

You can't go wrong with the X20. Tonally I prefer it to the X7 (a bit more bass response), but was looking at the trade off of size for travel. In the travel CF size, it was down to the X7 and the Blackbird Lucky 13.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:56 PM

An X20 it will be.

Spoke to the immensely helpful Alistair today, and will be putting an order in soon. Need to make final decisions on neck dimensions / profile.

Also need to choose the colour. Red is my favourite I think.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 05-29-2015, 07:36 AM

The red is nice. I really liked the bronze finish.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
The red is nice. I really liked the bronze finish.
Is that "Amber"?

My order is going in today!

I have a month or two before the build starts to finalise colour and neck profile

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 05-29-2015, 10:02 PM

My X10 is Amber and I love the color
Old 05-30-2015, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
My X10 is Amber and I love the color
I'd be interested in pictures if you have them.

I'm currently considering most of the colour options!

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 05-31-2015, 08:33 PM

If you go to the Emerald website and look at the X10 (even though it says under development) pictures. Mine is shown in pictures 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 17. Gives a pretty good idea :-)
Old 06-01-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
If you go to the Emerald website and look at the X10 (even though it says under development) pictures. Mine is shown in pictures 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 17. Gives a pretty good idea :-)
Very cool.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber