The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-11-2017, 03:14 PM

Default need fender frontman 25r help

i got this buzz on my amp-very annoying- i want to take the back off the power 'box' and check the main power cable and any look for any loose wires, i CAN NOT find a link, instructions, or a video how to this- any help would be appreciated! TIA- john
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Here's a link to the service manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...ntman-25r.html
Old 11-12-2017, 09:42 AM

it looks to me like- remove 4 top screws and the front knobs, then it just slides out, i might try so spray cleaner 1st, a $50 amp isnt worth having it fixed at a shop
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
...a $50 amp isn't worth having fixed at a shop...
In this case I disagree - these little suckers are cult favorites among musicians across a broad variety of styles, and not without good reason. FYI I played more than a few while they were still in production - sorry I didn't grab one back then - and to my ears they're a far-better amp than the successor Champion 20; they really come into their own, however, as platforms for simple DIY modifications. FWIW a Frontman 25R can be turned into a very viable backup amp for small- to medium-size gigs for under $100, starting with an upgraded reverb unit (about $20-25); Eminence seems to be the favored replacement speaker in this application (all in the $60-70 range, BTW), with most of the country/jazz/blues guys using the Lil' Buddy and Ragin' Cajun, and the rockers going for the Copperhead and Ramrod (the new RF10C looks like it has potential as well). Good news is that some of these speakers have efficiency ratings over 100 dB - about 4-5 dB more than the stock speaker in my estimation, which translates to the sonic equivalent of "free watts"; I've heard a 25R with the Cajun, and it's a toneful (and LOUD) little package when you don't want to/physically can't haul (or fit) a larger amp - I'm looking for one for my wife for band use (I'll be swapping in the upgraded 'verb and a Lil' Buddy), and I strongly recommend you keep yours well-maintained...
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 AM

yea, your right, i think ill keep it being i like it anyway- however being poor- LOL, i did check what i could, its seems over 90% of the buzz stop using a large stereo speaker rigged up to it, my guess is the speaker is bad- the one in there now doesnt even say fender on it, i dont even know what it is, soooooo- in my price i can do something like this-- CELESTION Ten 30 8 ohm 10-Inch 30-Watt Guitar Speaker--- would this be a decent speaker for a practice amp? its $35 shipped- john
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-15-2017, 11:56 AM

If the buzz you describe is 60 cycle hum, check the power supply filter capacitor.

BTW, I whole heartedly agree that it is worth fixing.
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Wait a while, do a little research, save up a few more bucks, and buy the good stuff first time around - IME you'll never regret it...
Old 11-15-2017, 05:45 PM

Sounds like you might have a crack or tear in the speaker. Get the speaker out where you can inspect it thoroughly. If it is torn use some glue or even silicone seal to patch the crack until you can afford a new speaker and good components like Steve recommends. I have spent much of my life poor and know what it is like. Patch it the best you can and keep making music while you save more money.
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-15-2017, 11:05 PM

Hang on to this little ss amp. I have a Champion 110 which is similar along with a larger tube amp. The Champion is easy for me to haul around when I go visiting and turns down well when I'm in the house during the winter.

Remember that these small ss Fender amps were built to a price point and a speaker swap is a major makeover. I put a 10" WGS Veteran in mine. These are nice sounding speakers that are usually used in cabs and go for less than 50 bucks.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:21 AM

yea, im keeping it- ill go with the celestion ten 30, it has very good reviews and 85-5000 hz, its $35 bucks shipped, being honest- i dont have any use for a higher power amp or modeling, this stays at home at room volume
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-16-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
yea, im keeping it- ill go with the celestion ten 30, it has very good reviews and 85-5000 hz, its $35 bucks shipped, being honest- i dont have any use for a higher power amp or modeling, this stays at home at room volume
Here's the spec sheet for the Celestion Ten 30:'

https://celestion.com/product/33/ten_30/

A few points based on 40+ years of speaker-swapping experience:
  • "Frequency range" doesn't tell the whole story unless you know the test parameters - 85-5k +/-3dB is going to sound different from 85-5k +/- 10 dB, open-back and sealed cabs will respond differently, etc.;
  • If you're going to interpret the response of a given raw-frame (replacement) speaker, a frequency response-curve chart will give you a far more accurate picture - it'll let you see the peaks and dips that give speakers their characteristic tone, and help you make an informed decision whether or not it'll be a good complement for your particular amp/guitar(s) combination;
  • Another spec that needs to be taken into account is speaker efficiency, the output (in dB) for a given input at a given distance (usually 1W/1M); in simple terms a higher-efficiency speaker provides more output per watt - the sonic equivalent of "free watts," with less load on the power amp for a given volume level - giving you more dynamic range and headroom for cleaner styles;
  • Extrapolating from the last point, some players will use a less-efficient speaker to tame a very high-power amp and/or generate distortion at lower levels - neither of which I suspect you're aiming for in this application;
  • Finally (and this is strictly my own experience here - YMMV), the rated power handling is a little too close to the RMS output of the amp if you're looking to avoid cone breakup and/or overdriving the speaker when/if you push things into the heavy-metal zone - my own rule of thumb has always been to go with at least double the power rating of the amp in question in a single-speaker application...

Just by way of illustration I'm posting a link to Eminence's closest comparable British-voiced 10" speaker:

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/spe...l/?model=RF10C

While Celestion speakers are not my taste, I've always had a respect for their product - and although the response curves of the two speakers are superficially similar, place them side-by-side and take careful note of the SPL intervals compared to those Eminence uses. Frankly, I think they're looking to pass this one off as something it's not - I've replaced similar Chinese-made speakers (didn't think this was a UK product at that price, did ya...?) in a couple of amps (my own as well as friends), and let's just say that you're going to get exactly what you pay for; in your application I think you're going to find it honky, edgy, and gritty based on my experience - OK for some harder styles but lacking versatility...

Caveat emptor...
Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 AM

thx steve, great info on speakers--gawd, now the latest- turns out the speaker is 'ok', when i said i tried a speaker, i used a pioneer old stereo (4 speaker thing) speaker at 8 ohms, so when i took over to my friends we tried 2 guitar speakers in it, 8" and 10"- both speakers still had the loud hum to it, so now ill take it to a guitar shop and get an estimate for a repair, the amp is dated 2012, you would think a SS amp would of been more durable then this
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-17-2017, 08:58 AM

When you say “hum” I automatically think 60 cycle hum, which means it sounds like the AC sine wave at the light socket. If that is the case, check the filter capacitor on the power supply. It is highly likely the source of your problem.
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-17-2017, 09:40 AM

Steve,

I just want to offer my words of appreciation for the thoughtful, lengthy and extremely detailed posts that you offer. With over 7,000 posts if you have posted like this for even a little of that time, you have helped an untold number of people. Being so willing to share your knowledge and experience is MASSIVELY appreciated!
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 PM

MGman- i read numerous info on the power supply filter cap- heres the thing, i have no idea what or where it is!! i wish i did because- if its just an easy access capacitor, i could resolder a new one in
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars