The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 PM

Default Buzzing on frets -- and pretty sure its me

So, I've been playing a long time (which doesn't mean anything except, I should know better...) But last night I had a frustrating practice session due to buzzing. I'd like some opinions.

This might be TMI, but I know its hard to answer a question like this without seeing and hearing the player, so maybe the detail helps?

I've been a one guitar man for 36 years (been through 3 wives -- but one guitar!) so I know it pretty well. It's a Guild D40C. 11/16s neck at the nut. I play with pretty low action.

Recently had the guitar to a luthier, and he suggested doing a refret. Which we did. The neck needs reset, too, but right now -- with the saddle lowered -- I have the buzz free low action I want, so I'm holding off on that.

When he did the refret, he put D'Addario lights on it. I had Elixir Nano Mediums on it right before that. But I was just trying them out. I normally run with lights. Before the Elizir I had Martin Retro lights on it.

First thing I noticed when I get it back is my fingers seem to "drag" on the strings. Even though they are lighter, they "feel" heavier.

But everything sounds pretty good. Until last night.

I go to the church to practice, and plug into the PA system. I have a nice setup now (Fishman Matrix Under saddle pickup feeding into an Aura pedal, which is set to an Olson JT model sound. Really sweet, clear sound!)

But I'm playing and I notice a lot of buzzing. It doesn't happen open, only when I'm chording, so I'm pretty sure it must be me. And, pressing down harder is making it go away. So, really sure it's me.

Except pressing down that hard seems wrong to me. I don't think I normally need that pressure to get a clean sound. And after awhile the fingers really start hurting -- especially certain chords. (And I have pretty good callouses.) I do notice that my fingers are not as close the the fret as I would expect them to be, but I don't know if that's something new or not. I mean, 40 some years of playing, I really don't look at my fingers much anymore. I expect them to be where they are supposed to be.

But, I'm definitely hearing a buzz and it is frequent. And that's definitely new.

So, I have several thoughts of what is happening. Here's what I can think of:

1) Maybe I just had a bad day. It happens, I guess. I was tired yesterday, and the temperature was down to about 64, and I didn't bother turning up the heat while I was there.

2) Neck is going to need reset sooner than I had hoped. The saddle is too low, for sure. And that might be bringing the action closer in some areas than it has to be.

3) Refret wasn't as good as I hoped for. (I sort of doubt this. The luthier really knows his stuff...) Maybe go get the thing Plek'd? IDK.

4) I always play this bad, but because I am usually not amped I don't notice. And, it seems to me that UTS pickups amplify metal sounds more than normal. If I turn my preamp all the way up and just hit a chord position hard, I can hear the tick of the string touching the fret on the way down. I never hear that in acoustic only. Only when amped. Maybe the pickup is hearing what is normally really low fret buzz and increasing it so it "stand out more in the mix."

My plan right now is to go to GC, take a good mic for my phone, along with my Guild, and play a bunch of mid to high range guitars and see if I buzz on everything or just my Guild. It isn't a great test, since I doubt I will find an off the rack guitar with the low action I like, but it will at least give me a point of reference.

What else should I try? Thoughts?
Old 10-30-2017, 12:49 PM

DID YOU ADJUST THE TRUSS ROD? A lighter string than your usual mediums will cause the neck to "unbow" a bit because there is less resistance from the lighter strings and the strings will be lower to the frets. That's the first place to look.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-30-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
DID YOU ADJUST THE TRUSS ROD? A lighter string than your usual mediums will cause the neck to "unbow" a bit because there is less resistance from the lighter strings and the strings will be lower to the frets. That's the first place to look.
I did not. But I'm pretty sure my Luthier did that when he put the new strings on. The refret included a setup.

But help me on that for a sec... if it isn't buzzing in open (i.e. strumming or picking open strings) that means it isn't the truss rod... right? or wrong?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapinFan View Post
But help me on that for a sec... if it isn't buzzing in open (i.e. strumming or picking open strings) that means it isn't the truss rod... right? or wrong?
Wrong.
It could still be the light strings, even if the truss rod was adjusted to the same relief as before, lighter strings have lower tension and higher excursion, so they require a little more relief.
et al
Old 10-30-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Wrong.
It could still be the light strings, even if the truss rod was adjusted to the same relief as before, lighter strings have lower tension and higher excursion, so they require a little more relief.
So, assuming that my luthier missed that and I have to adjust the truss rod (and, yeah, in 36 years I have never done that!) I'm guessing I need to find an allen wrench that fits (which I should have) and then I just eyeball it? Or is there some sort of a gauge I should get to be precise?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

You might be noticing string buzzing right on the fret you are fretting. The degree of that can vary with crown shape and is more noticeable on the wound strings. Pressing harder on the fret reduces it or eliminates it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-30-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapinFan View Post
So, assuming that my luthier missed that and I have to adjust the truss rod (and, yeah, in 36 years I have never done that!) I'm guessing I need to find an allen wrench that fits (which I should have) and then I just eyeball it? Or is there some sort of a gauge I should get to be precise?
It's not too likely that he missed it if he adjusted the rod for the lighter strings, but it's possible.

If you fret a string at the first and 14th fret, there should be 0.003" to 0.008" or so. Loosen the rod a little at a time until the buzzing quits or the relief gets to be more than 0.010". A steel straightedge from the 1st to 14th fret will make it easier to get accurate measurements, use feeler gauges to measure the gap. I don't usually measure any of this, it's easier to go by feel and estimation, and the answer depends on how it works for the player anyway.

Don't feel bad, the truss rod cover has never been off my J-50 in the 50 years I've owned it. I've always considered the truss rod as something to "set and forget", but you may need to adjust it when changing string gauges.
et al
Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Bring it back to the luthier who did the work and show him the problem. He'll probably figure it out in 3 seconds.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-31-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Bring it back to the luthier who did the work and show him the problem. He'll probably figure it out in 3 seconds.
The neck may have moved a bit after he adjusted it initially. Not all truss rod adjustments happen instantaneously.
et al
Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
The neck may have moved a bit after he adjusted it initially. Not all truss rod adjustments happen instantaneously.
Fair point.

Thanks all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write