The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Cool Archtop Photo Thread

My collection of archtops is quite miniscule compared to some I've seen around here, but beautiful to me. I acquired one without a pickup when I was a teen, but it was damaged (big crack in the top), but I played it anyway. The double-cutaway Gibson ES-347 TD is one I acquired in a package deal, when I was negotiating with a seller. When I offered to buy it, along with the Martin DC Aura he had, he gave me a super deal!

The D'Angelico "New Yorker" was dumb luck. I was involved in another auction for an identical model, and had already bid, when this one showed up for a substantially lower opening bid. I bid on that one, as well, even though I had no need for both. I was trying to figure out what I needed to do to withdraw my bid on the first one, when the seller contacted me. He told me he had underestimated the shipping cost, and wanted my permission to change the price. Was this was a Godsend, or fate, or just dumb luck??? I told him to figure out the cost of shipping, and I would figure out if I still wanted to enter a bid, but withdraw my bid for now. Since he initiated a change in the cost, I was within my rights to withdraw my bid. He didn't like it, but had no choice.

Long story short, nobody else was looking for a D'Angelico that day, so I won the auction, for an unbelievably low price! Pristine condition, too!

Glen

Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

Last edited by scottishrogue; 03-26-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Thanks for the kind words, kkfan!

There certainly seems to be a renewed interest in the pure acoustic archtop guitar, but I'd still say you're right - there aren't as many strictly acoustic archtops as there are those that are designed to be amplified in one way or another.

Mine is a 2008 that I bought used in January of this year. It was a case of being in the right place at the right time and being able to act. I had wanted one for a long, long time, when a member on the Collings Forum indicated that she might be selling hers. I was able to get in touch with her and work out a deal where I drove six hours to pick up the guitar (thereby avoiding shipping) and pay her what she would've netted through the consignment deal that she planned to proceed with (thereby saving me money!).

It worked out great, and I've been enjoying it ever since. The last new one I saw was from the 2014 NAMM show and went to Eddie's Guitars here in St. Louis. It sold for $12,750 within a few days. I was planning to drive over there to play it side by side with mine, but it sold before I could! I feel very fortunate, as I paid nowhere near that much for mine.

Happy strumming!
What an amazing story! Congratulations!

In the end, perseverance, I believe, is the key to success.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:34 PM

Tom Painter made this guitar for me. I replaced the CC with a Tom Short HB. ES 175 style thin line with a 2 1/2" depth.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 AM

A couple photos I took. I really need to sit down and get the righting right.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:04 AM

I just finished working with Benedetto guitars. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to build a guitar for myself before leaving![IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Wow, a Sinfonietta, no less! And you built it yourself too, how cool! I thought your name looked familiar - I think I've seen it posted throughout the "news" section of Benedetto's website.

That is one gorgeous guitar, enjoy it in good health! So, if you left Benedetto, what's next?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:09 PM

Yes, thats me! Thanks for the complement. I hope to continue building archtops by hand in the traditional way that I've been taught at Benedetto of course! I will be building my first few guitars soon.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 PM

Being a straight up dread flat top player I branched out with 00 size flat tops. Had no luck with em. I got a the 52 l50 to experiment on. Fell in love with them! I tamed them better than the small bodies. The l4 is a joy. Made in 1928. It's a model t compared to a corvette in some aspects, but a true joy to own and play. The smell alone gets me goin. The recording king is the latest one. Also a great and fun lil guitar! The l50 shocks people, I ain't no jazz player but people seeing me beating out van halen tunes on em, heads turn.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by J-55; 06-11-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Pics!grr
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 AM

I was inspired to take this picture on the gig last night:

The BR-6 isn't actually being used there, rather I picked it up from the amp repair shop and didn't want to leave it in the car. Figured it'd look cooler on stage than stashing it with the cases off stage. My amp repair guy gave it it's first "going over" since I got it. He replaced a couple caps (all with NOS ones), a tube, the complete wrong valued fuse that was on it, and put on a three prong power cable. Sounds awesome - I'd intended to plug it in on the gig, but I was running late and didn't have time to "experiment." Still it sounded amazing when I picked it up.

Here's the rest of the family:

The full list in my sig, but there's also a 2010 Eastman 810CE in the picture, and my old Franken-ES150 made out of a thinline fully hollow mid-90's plywood Washburn.

1932 Gibson L-5
1939 Gibson L-5
1937 Gibson ES-150
2012 National Style 1 (German Silver)
2004 Eastman 805 non-cut
2002 John LeVoi 12-fret Petite Bouche
2016 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
1939 Gibson EH-185
Vintage '47 VA-185G
Old 06-12-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campusfive View Post
I was inspired to take this picture on the gig last night:

The BR-6 isn't actually being used there, rather I picked it up from the amp repair shop and didn't want to leave it in the car. Figured it'd look cooler on stage than stashing it with the cases off stage. My amp repair guy gave it it's first "going over" since I got it. He replaced a couple caps (all with NOS ones), a tube, the complete wrong valued fuse that was on it, and put on a three prong power cable. Sounds awesome - I'd intended to plug it in on the gig, but I was running late and didn't have time to "experiment." Still it sounded amazing when I picked it up.

Here's the rest of the family:

The full list in my sig, but there's also a 2010 Eastman 810CE in the picture, and my old Franken-ES150 made out of a thinline fully hollow mid-90's plywood Washburn.
That is awesome! What is the "main" Gibson amp you were using at the gig?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 AM

It's a 1939 EH-185, but it must be an early one, because it's says EH-150.

Gibson was going revamp the 150, but decided to make them two separate models, but not before some went out that say "150" instead of 185.

1932 Gibson L-5
1939 Gibson L-5
1937 Gibson ES-150
2012 National Style 1 (German Silver)
2004 Eastman 805 non-cut
2002 John LeVoi 12-fret Petite Bouche
2016 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
1939 Gibson EH-185
Vintage '47 VA-185G
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Heritage Custom Eagle

This is my Heritage Custom Eagle. It is built to Johnny Smith specifications. It is actually currently for sale!
Lots O Flame!!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 AM

My most recent guitar, this baby is from the 60´s.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:13 PM

Really love 'em all - especially this one.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:49 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops