The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 PM

Default Straight Neck Larrivee OM-03

A while back I posted about my new OM-03 having a straight neck with no relief with absolutely no tension on the truss rod.

I actually talked to someone today from the Vancouver factory and he said that's the way they set them up from factory. Straight with as low action as possible. But much to my surprise, he stated that about a year ago Larrivee started putting double action truss rods in their OM-03 models. ( not sure about the others). I know the LO-3 I had didn't have one but it was about 7 years old. Sure enough. A bit of a turn counter clockwise and I could feel it start to tighten. I now have about .003 relief on my neck. I'm happy . It was on the verge of buzzing.

Thought you'd like to know.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 06-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
A while back I posted about my new OM-03 having a straight neck with no relief with absolutely no tension on the truss rod.

I actually talked to someone today from the Vancouver factory and he said that's the way they set them up from factory. Straight with as low action as possible. But much to my surprise, he stated that about a year ago Larrivee started putting double action truss rods in their OM-03 models. ( not sure about the others). I know the LO-3 I had didn't have one but it was about 7 years old. Sure enough. A bit of a turn counter clockwise and I could feel it start to tighten. I now have about .003 relief on my neck. I'm happy . It was on the verge of buzzing.

Thought you'd like to know.
Counterclockwise to tighten?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Counterclockwise to tighten?
I think he means he felt tension on the rod. The double action truss rod will add relief with a counterclockwise turn.

I also am in the practice of setting the relief to "0" without the strings and letting the strings pull the neck forward slightly. That usually adds a good amount of relief. I bet that's what Larrivee meant when they said they set them like that from the factory. You've gotta have SOME relief.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair