The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-15-2013, 09:59 AM

Default Buffing Question

I'm in the process of building a buffer from a fan blower motor out of a furnace.

Its a 3 speed motor, black wire is high, 1075 rpms, blue is medium which I'm guessing is around 850 rpms, and the red is low and I have no idea what speed that is, but will probably never need it to go that slow so its a non issue.

I'm going to wire it to basically a single throw double pole switch, and every thing tests out at this point.

I need to order the shaft extension, and buffing pads, I'm just not sure what compound to get. This is my first try at buffing so any help would be great, thanks,
Stu
Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Stu, you and I always seem to be around the place in our learning. I'm building my buffer next week. I bought the Menzerna 3167 fine and the 3186 medium from SM. They are calling the the medium pink and the fine brown, it's not brown, it's green. It looks nothing like the picture on the SM website.

SA

Last edited by KingCavalier; 06-15-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: That's 3168 not 3186
Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 PM

I use to polish after 2000 grit wet and dry with medium and then fine mezerna. I often polish after 1200 now but start with a course compound. I get the same result but in about a third of the time.

Jeff.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like Mezerna is the product I need. I notice LMII sells that one also.

King, I'll post a pic later when I get my creation done, still a few things to tweek.

Thanks once again
Stu

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair