The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM

Default Question on Reattaching Neck Block

A neck block on my guitar came off the other day. It looks like the block was on with double-sided tapes. Here's a photo.

I'd like to fix this myself, and was wondering if there's a special type of double-sided tape I should use since it'll be stuck on a wooden surface.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM

I have never seen a neck block look like this. Is this an acoustic guitar? The four dark patches look like CF to me.
Tom
Old 06-13-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
I have never seen a neck block look like this. Is this an acoustic guitar? The four dark patches look like CF to me.
Tom
Tom,

This is an acoustic guitar. The dark patches are double-sided tape or some sort of an adhesive. I guess they weren't strong enough to stick onto the wood. Then again, a 9V battery pouch was on the other side of the neck block (for powering LR Baggs Anthem). I think the block came off because the battery was too heavy.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyirich View Post
Tom,

This is an acoustic guitar. The dark patches are double-sided tape or some sort of an adhesive. I guess they weren't strong enough to stick onto the wood. Then again, a 9V battery pouch was on the other side of the neck block (for powering LR Baggs Anthem). I think the block came off because the battery was too heavy.
The block would NEVER come off due to a battery being too heavy. Take and post some photos of the inside of the guitar, if you can.

A neck block, even if 3 glued sides spontaneously came un-glued, could not slip out of the guitar unless it was vastly undersized, since the string tension would pull the fingerboard extension onto the neck block itself.

I expect there is more to this than we understand with the information on your first post.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-14-2013, 05:44 AM

How's the neck attached, is it a glued butt joint (thats a joke folks). Sorry, I'm wondering is it from under the fretboard extention (even though It sould be glued above the neck block, not inline with it). Photo's would definitely help. I'm stumped.

Jeff.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 AM

It looks to me this is just a block stuck to the sides or heel block. And it holds a battery. Nothing special or critical here in my mind. New double stick tape or a couple of dabs of glue. I don't think it resides on a high end guitar.............???
Tom
Old 06-14-2013, 06:28 AM

Yes, I think you are likely correct, Tom. The cuts in the wood suggest that it isn't a guitar part, other than a home-made battery holder.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
It looks to me this is just a block stuck to the sides or heel block. And it holds a battery. Nothing special or critical here in my mind. New double stick tape or a couple of dabs of glue. I don't think it resides on a high end guitar.............???
Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCG Canada View Post
Yes, I think you are likely correct, Tom. The cuts in the wood suggest that it isn't a guitar part, other than a home-made battery holder.
Both of you are correct. I guess I didn't describe it correctly. My apologies.

Since it'll be sticking to the wood, is there a specific double stick tape I should look for?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM

Rich: I would think any double sided will work. The worst that can happen is that it drops off again.
Tom
Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM

why not try something a little more ~elegant~ then that hunk 'o wood?

$10 from board sponsor and all around good guy Bob Colosi:

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/bband.asp

unless you really need a button cell battery?

Last edited by arie; 06-14-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyirich View Post
Since it'll be sticking to the wood, is there a specific double stick tape I should look for?
As Tom says, pretty much any double sided tape will work. I find I get better results on wood, however, with spongy double sided tape (any thickness will do, but thin - about 1/2 mm or so - is nice).

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 AM

Bought a spongy double sided tape (recommended by HCG Canada) and loop velcro at Home Depot. Block is reattached and fixed. Thanks everyone for your support!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair