The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
I haven’t had my hands on the guitar yet, but I am thinking tens to start with but I like light strings. D’iaderro’s.

Edit: I was looking at the specs and the guitar comes with nines. If Gibson is good enough with them from the factory, I will give ‘em a chance. Is it nines that Earnie Ball calls the slinkies?
I think so.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I finally had a chance to air this out our weekly jam session. Had the amp up loud, and the guitar was just singing! In the zone!I'm here to tell you I had no idea it would sound this could and play so easily.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:10 PM

Well, you’re getting me anxious G! How long did it take you to receive after you placed the order?

Glad you are enjoying it.
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-13-2017, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
Well, you’re getting me anxious G! How long did it take you to receive after you placed the order?

Glad you are enjoying it.
Three business days, I think. They ship from Kansas City, so maybe faster for you.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:29 AM

Thanks G!

This is all your fault you know!😊

Seriously though, I am anxious to get it in my hands. The two Les Paul’s I have had in my hands have pleased me very much, but they were high dollar ones. You are not the only one who has said that these versions play as well or are at least close. You and your teacher have even said they were equal in your evaluations, so yours and others statements is what has led me, for the first time, to buy a guitar without having it in my hands before hand.

I have been pleased to find out that Gibson’s lower priced models are made in the USA and it appears from their sales pitch that there is technology used in critical areas such as the way the set up the frets for accuracy.

Don’t worry. If mine turns out to be a lemon, it won’t be your fault. I am unlucky sometimes. I fully expect this to be a nice instrument. After this I will go back to my never buy it before playing it rule, or I will be thrilled.

My tracking number stil doesn’t indicate where it is, but it has to be somewhere.
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 PM

I made it home for about an hour this evening and it was waiting for me. I only played it for about fifteen or twenty minutes, but just like G said it feels and sounds as good as the high end Les Paul’s I have played. There are differences like the aluminum tuning mechanisms and the different, probably cheaper, humbuckers. That aside it feels as good as the expensive ones I have played.

I have tried several strats of different levels and just never warmed up to them. Nothing wrong with them, it was just that they never felt right to me. It is all about what feels and sounds best to YOU. My son prefers a strat and he is an
Amazing guitarist, but maybe it was the German Framus that I started with that made the strats not make me grin so much.

Anyway I am so glad Gmountain started this thread and pointed out the sale price. It was exactly the right time for me. I also appreciate him giving me the link and answering my questions. I really think I will get many good years from this jewel.

I also am very happy that Gibson makes their lower end models right here in the USA. I hope these guys read how happy I am with their work and am pleased to know that Gibson makes jobs for a few of my fellow Americans.
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-16-2017, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Cool! I am so impressed by this model. Best deal in electric guitars, if you ask me. Glad you got one, and am looking forward to the pictures.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:44 AM

I brought it with me even though I have no Amp with me, I have gotten some more time with her. Maybe it is just the honeymoon period, but I’m in love!❤️����

I took some pictures, but I don’t see how to post them. Since I am a forum rookie, I might be disallowed posting pictures at this point.
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S

Last edited by MBDiagMan; 11-17-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:09 PM

I really feel like a dummy. Other forums have a Go Advanced button for posting pictures. I can not figure out how to post them here. HELP please!
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

You have to have the photos hosted on a site like Imgur, or photobucket. Then on Imgur, you click "direct link" and then copy that address into the photo button on this site. The photo button is the button that has a picture of a mountain on it, just above where you type.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
You have to have the photos hosted on a site like Imgur, or photobucket. Then on Imgur, you click "direct link" and then copy that address into the photo button on this site. The photo button is the button that has a picture of a mountain on it, just above where you type.
G the other method in Imgur is to click BBC Code ... and then in AGF just use paste command (don't have to click image icon)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-21-2017, 09:54 PM

Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-22-2017, 06:25 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Guys, enjoy the Les Pauls! Don't listen to the Telecaster Mafia and the Stratocaster cult who tell you Les Pauls have no character. Let me begin by saying that I own both a Tele and a Strat and enjoy them both, but my main squeeze for years was my '74 Les Paul Standard that I bought used in 1977. For twenty years it was my only electric for lead, rhythm, etc.

The deal with all these guitars is that you have to learn how to make each of them sing. The LP, for instance, has less overtone bloom off the top but pays you back by having a long sustain and a strong midrange that make legato leads just sing. My old Les Paul is still regularly working recording sessions.

(Um, here I am playing a single-string lead.)

I recently picked up a '60s Tribute LP (in the same price range as yours) equipped with P90 pickups and found the neck to be very comfortable.

Enjoy your Les Pauls!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-22-2017, 06:46 AM

Thanks Bob!
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars