The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-30-2017, 12:41 PM

Default GuitarPro 6 vs 7 strangeness?

I've been using GuitarPro for a couple years because I really like the way most music has both standard notation and tabs. I've recently purchased the v7 upgrade while still maintaining GP6 on my computer. In another thread we're discussing Masaaki Kishibe's music as a side note to the thread. And so I downloaded Kishibe's "Rainy Window" tune to begin learning.

It opened in default to GP6. The header indicated open D tuning and that was it. The notes in the standard notation were proper as if uncapo'd; beginning pickup notes E to F#. However later on I opened the same file in GP7 and that same file then indicated to capo on fret 5 and then transposed the standard notation as well. Interestingly, but not a surprise, the tab notations on both versions were the same, relative to the nut/capo position, just like our chord shapes remain the same as we transpose keys with capos.

Your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GuitarPro_comparisons.jpg (45.7 KB, 56 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

That is odd. I downloaded my Kishibe stuff from www.classclef.com
Where did you get yours from?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-30-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That is odd. I downloaded my Kishibe stuff from www.classclef.com
Where did you get yours from?
Probably 911 tabs or Ultimate Tabs. I'll try finding it on classclef. Hadn't heard of them before.

Thanks
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-30-2017, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Probably 911 tabs or Ultimate Tabs. I'll try finding it on classclef. Hadn't heard of them before.

Thanks
There's tons of his stuff on classclef. I downloaded both the pdf files and the GP files, but the PDFs were made using GP and some of the songs could be formatted better to put more measures on a page. So don't print before reviewing in design mode what you could move around.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-31-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
There's tons of his stuff on classclef. I downloaded both the pdf files and the GP files, but the PDFs were made using GP and some of the songs could be formatted better to put more measures on a page. So don't print before reviewing in design mode what you could move around.
Are suggesting moving the music around in GP or Acrobat?

So I downloaded the Classclef version and opened it in GP7. For the most part it looked like the version shaded in blue except that the title was in a font that the computer could translate into real words.

The one thing I can say for GP7 and my original download was that it actually transposed the standard notation into concert pitch, while my original version in GP6 as well as the Classclef version in both GPversions did not transpose the standard notation. While in alternate tuning the standard notation becomes largely irrelevant for the guitar unless you know where the notes like in the altered tuning. But I think if the piece is to be capoed as indicated the standard notation should be transposed in the event that you want to play it on another instrument or have someone else playing along.

I'm not sure where the source of each of these notations are, but I find it extremely annoying to have 2 or 3 or 4 16ths tied together. It's visually confusing. Additionally, in the standard notation I'd prefer to see the bass line written "stems down" which would provide a better idea of the movement and phrasing of the bass. After listening to the midi version several times I could hear the bass line which was camouflaged within the other notes. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have this tune on paper. But I think some modification of the standard notation would make it easier to learn for those of us who do a pretty good job with standard notation. [End rant]

Anyway, thanks for sharing Barry. This is my 2nd tune that isn't in standard tuning or drop D. I'm thinking, back in the day we never even considered this alternate stuff. I'm looking forward to finish this tune (it will take a month or more, I'm sure) and then go onto some other stuff. Would love to tackle some Andy McKee some day.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Move the measures around in GP's design mode.

GP 6 is driving me nuts lately as it decided it wants to do stems up regardless of which voice I'm using.

Andy McKee does interesting stuff. His brother by another mother, Don Ross is excellent also. Klimblim, by Ross is a fun tune

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-03-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Move the measures around in GP's design mode.

GP 6 is driving me nuts lately as it decided it wants to do stems up regardless of which voice I'm using.

Andy McKee does interesting stuff. His brother by another mother, Don Ross is excellent also. Klimblim, by Ross is a fun tune.
Cool. Thanks for turning me on to Ross.

As far as GP6 goes, perhaps you want to upgrade to GP7. It seems to handle files much differently than v6.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write