The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
How important is it really to have the side be perfectly perpendicular to the sole? Using the typical shooting board setup to joint the edges, the halves will mate up perfectly when laid flat, even if the joint is not perpendicular to the face.

At least, that's what I've read from a number of other sources.
Yes, you are right. As long as the angles are the exact same, there is no disadvantage. In fact, this makes the gluing area slightly larger, so some would argue it makes the glue joint stronger.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCG Canada View Post
Yes, you are right. As long as the angles are the exact same, there is no disadvantage. In fact, this makes the gluing area slightly larger, so some would argue it makes the glue joint stronger.
Okay. That's what I was thinking. My plane isn't that bad, though the sides certainly aren't perpendicular to the sole. They're about 3-4 degrees off. Hasn't seemed to matter though and I've glued up a number of WRC strips so far.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post

Charles and I have crossed swords before on this matter , my take being that it is not strictly necessary for the sole and the side to be square to each other ...
Agreed. However, for some tasks it makes the task much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Using the typical shooting board setup to joint the edges, the halves will mate up perfectly when laid flat, even if the joint is not perpendicular to the face.
Agreed. The two halves are supplementary angles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair