The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM

Default First attempt at shaping a rectangular saddle blank

For my new Hohner Essential dread.

042 by Bohdan79, on Flickr
Old 06-12-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache79 View Post
For my new Hohner Essential dread.

042 by Bohdan79, on Flickr
It can sometimes be preferable to remove (bevel) all sharp corners on saddles. Other than that, the proof is in the pudding - how does it sound??

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 PM

Looks good! A lot of people make them like that, with the square corners at the B and on the ends. I do mine in more of a "wave" (smooth transitions) but it looks right either way to me
Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 PM

It's also fun to use finishing pads for some high-shine polishing, dependent upon the guitar's aesthetic.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Square edges on saddles are problematic when using palm-muting techniques, especially palm muting combined with rhythmic strumming.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM

I was in a hurry when I first posted this. I haven't finished quite yet, so it sill looks a bit crude. The Hohner was a bit sharp on the lower 3 strings so I've been trying to get the bearing edge to sit further back than on the stock saddle for those strings. I'm finding it difficult to maintain a perfect radius while creating the bearing edge. I haven't even touched the sides yet.

My next step will be to shape the sides so it fits the saddle slot and take it down to roughly the ssame height as the old saddle and see if it intonates any better. If so then I'll be ready to remove the excess material and give it a sleeker look.

Thanks guys, any tips? The tools I've been using are a small mill file and 220 grit sandpaper, a block of wood and a table vice.

I've installed pre compensated saddles before and just took them down from the bottom. I wanted to try and do the whole job myself, so I bout 10 blanks on ebay for $27 to start out with.

Last edited by mustache79; 06-13-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Here's a photo album I made a few years ago, but I still use roughly the same process: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014724...ousticSaddles#

I like to make the saddle fit the slot first, before I do any shaping to the top.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
Here's a photo album I made a few years ago, but I still use roughly the same process: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014724...ousticSaddles#

I like to make the saddle fit the slot first, before I do any shaping to the top.
That makes more sense... aye, it's my first time. Nice finished product there, looks nice and smooth. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache79 View Post
That makes more sense... aye, it's my first time. Nice finished product there, looks nice and smooth. Thanks for sharing!
Interestingly, That saddle actually ended up being unusable. Can you see the inconsistency of the bone under the low E string? It was kinda pourous...so much so that it trapped the black dust from the sandpaper I was using. When I installed it (in a guitar with an undersaddle piezo) it sounded awful. Had to make another one.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 PM

Good show, and you learned something!

Aside from what you've done, I also put a very small bevel on all the bottom edges, just in case the corners of the saddle slot aren't themselves sharp. I want full contact with the bridge, on both the sides and bottom of the slot.

Pat
Old 06-17-2013, 12:28 PM

Default UPDATE: Glorious results!

Had some spare time today so I went ahead and finished the saddle. I got the bearing edge and radius perfect. I proceeded to soften the edges so they aren't so square and brought it down to a nice 3/32" action with about .008" of relief in the neck. I did change the radius from the original saddle which was 16" to slightly flatter radius.

One thing I didn't mention before is this guitar has a piezo pickup. The stock saddle produced an uneven volume on the Low E, B and High E. I'm happy to report this is no longer the case. Also, if you look at the picture of the stock saddle the lower strings are not compensated at all. This resulted in the notes being sharp on said strings. This is also not longer the case as the new saddle makes the guitar intonate much better.

I have to say, it is a noticeable difference in tone and volume from the stock saddle as well. I'm still using the strings I had on before I replaced the saddle and the difference is undeniable.

I'll pat myself on the back now...

Stock "Newbone" saddle

015 by Bohdan79, on Flickr

New water buffalo bone saddle

010 by Bohdan79, on Flickr

Tough to see bearing edge

004 by Bohdan79, on Flickr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair