The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Affordable modern guitar

I have plenty of guitars with what I’d consider fundamental tone, plenty of hog and other simple tonewoods. And I recently sold my more expensive guitars to stick with an under $1k rule. So now I get to pick out an affordable but modern axe for the stable.
I want something that will get me close to a boutique sound but costs Walmart money. My first inclination has been a Yamaha LL in rosewood.

Any other ideas? In the 500-800 range.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

I have had *AMAZING* luck with the Ibanez Artwood series...I've purchased three of them and *LOVED* every one of them. In fact one is now my exclusive gigging acoustic - I used it last night at rehearsal in fact and was marveling at how much I love playing it.

Yamaha's are very well-respected (and rightly so).

But these Artwoods are my favorite "budget" guitars.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-21-2024, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I have plenty of guitars with what I’d consider fundamental tone, plenty of hog and other simple tonewoods. And I recently sold my more expensive guitars to stick with an under $1k rule. So now I get to pick out an affordable but modern axe for the stable.
I want something that will get me close to a boutique sound but costs Walmart money. My first inclination has been a Yamaha LL in rosewood.

Any other ideas? In the 500-800 range.
I bought a Taylor Urban Ash GT in that price range on facebook marketplace. I’m following a couple more, also in that range.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:44 AM

I would go with a Furch, used if necessary. They are the company that jump out to me as premium build quality/tone at budget prices.
- Atkin LG47 (aged finish)
- Furch G-CR
Old 03-21-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
....I recently sold my more expensive guitars to stick with an under $1k rule.....
That's weird. I went the opposite way -- sold the several under $1K guitars I'd accumulated in order to fund a couple more expensive guitars. And happy with that decision!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-21-2024, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Sarhog, I may have to go try one of those GT urban ash out. I'm a little hesitant because of the shorter scale. If it were 24.75 I'd be even more interested.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Sarhog, I may have to go try one of those GT urban ash out. I'm a little hesitant because of the shorter scale. If it were 24.75 I'd be even more interested.
My two main gigging guitars right now are a AD12e and a GTe Blacktop. Of the two my favorite to play is the GTe. The size and scale length make it really easy to play and is so nice on the fingers after a long week of gigging.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-21-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I got it, in part, because of the shorter scale. I see no downside, other than cramped frets way up the neck.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:51 AM

I've got to plug the Eastman E2OM-CD (again). For me (and a few other AGF members) it's hard to believe a guitar that plays and sounds this good with such high quality fit/finish can be had for so little.

If you're up for buying used (as I am) you can pick up some great Gibson's or Martin's for right around $1 k.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-21-2024, 10:10 AM

I have a Yamaha LL 16D and love it. The other big winner in under $1000.00 is Eastman. I give Alvarez 3rd place.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:21 AM

Try a Seagull. Everthing you need, nothing you don't need.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have a Yamaha LL 16D and love it. The other big winner in under $1000.00 is Eastman. I give Alvarez 3rd place.
Thanks. I like the looks of the LS16 but it being a small guitar it might be a bit smaller sounding. Seems like the LL is a sure bet for best tone. Eastmans look great too but I'm thinking of going for something a little different looking, not a Martin copy.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I have had *AMAZING* luck with the Ibanez Artwood series...I've purchased three of them and *LOVED* every one of them. In fact one is now my exclusive gigging acoustic - I used it last night at rehearsal in fact and was marveling at how much I love playing it.
Which model is your gigging instrument, Faz?
Old 03-21-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
WRT the ergos of the short scale, it plays very nicely. But, I don't think it matches your "boutique sound but costs Walmart money" requirement. A "boutique sound" (which I'm not too big a fan of), to me, is having a piano-like brightness with sustain and clarity and with less overtones than the 28 series Martin. However, maybe I understand boutique sound wrong.

Also, I bought mine when they were discounted to $1k at my local Guitar Center a few months back. They are currently at $1.5k; so they are above your price range as well.

I'd recommend looking into the Alvarez Masterworks series guitars; I think they fit your requirement better than the GT.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:20 PM

Eastman makes good guitars, but from your description of looking for a more modern boutique sound, I don't think they will fit the bill. They definitely have a more traditional tone. It's not a dig, I love my Eastmans. But they are what they are.

Furch makes nice guitars, but not many options in the sub $1K segment (even used). Taylors have a more modern voice, but not the more shimmering tones I associate with boutique. I used to really like Breedlove, but the ones I have played recently have sounded very dull and boring to me.

There are a lot of guitars that I have not played, nor owned. But of those that I have, Yamahas come the closest to a boutique voice without boutique pricing.

The Alvarez Masterworks also intrigue me, but I have only heard them in video clips.

Something else to consider, not a modern boutique sound, but if looking for a different sound to your standard acoustics might be to dip your toes in the archtop waters. Plenty of options under $1K used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion