The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2024, 07:25 AM

Default 12 Fret Sloped Dread Options

hey friends! I'm VERY much wanting to get a 12 fret, sloped dread. i'd also love it to be matte sunburst with an open headstock.

up to this point, the larrivee sd60 & the keb mo 3.0 are the two that, while not exact, feel closest. I got to play a keb mo, but still haven't had the chance to play an SD60. really curious about the neck profile on those & the 1 7/8 nut on the early SD60's i've seen.

anyone have experience with either? i do a lot of strumming & a little bit of finger picking. style is more acoustic indie, indie/folkish kind of a vibe. singer songwriter stuff.

i know there's an alvarez out there, but just not a fan of it for some reason. i also know there are some higher end boutique models like this, but my MAX is probably 2,500...which may not even be enough to get me either of the 2 options i listed earlier unless I wait around for awhile & get lucky.

would love to hear any thoughts!
Old 02-08-2024, 07:30 AM

You can get a nice used Martin D-18S for $2500

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 02-08-2024, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Check out Pono guitars.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

If you can find a Martin d-15s that would be a killer.

IRIS DS Smeck is probably the best bang for the Buck at any price point.

Ponos are incredible - the current iterations have 1 13/16 nuts if wider necks are your thing
Old 02-08-2024, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

If you start looking at used D-18 12 fret guitar I should mention, there has been different bracings at different times. I'm not saying one is better than another, but you might want to know before buying what you are buying.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-08-2024, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

A lot of people who are "put off" by Alvarez seem to dislike the bridge they use. I believe they are building a 12 fret dread in the Alvarez Yairi and the Alvarez Masterworks lines. I'm a fan of Yairi but have not played either one. Might be worth playing one to see if it's really worth considering. They are a lot of bang for the buck and Yairi models are comparable to most boutique builders IMHO. Best of luck to you!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-08-2024, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I have an 2011 Eastman E10SS which is copy of an Gibson J45 that I'm more than happy with considering what I paid for it. I'm not familiar with their current lineup but I'm sure they offer something similar.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:06 AM

A Pono will save you considerable money. I have a 12-fret Slope Dread that I really enjoy. Playability is about the best of any guitar I’ve held, and that’s with a 1 13/16 nut. Great guitar.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
I have an 2011 Eastman E10SS which is copy of an Gibson J45 that I'm more than happy with considering what I paid for it. I'm not familiar with their current lineup but I'm sure they offer something similar.
I've not seen an Eastman 12 fret dread. It would be a nice addition to their line however in my opinion. Guess most people are interested in 14 fret dreads...slope or standard?

Old 02-08-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
If you can find a Martin D-15S that would be a killer...
I own one, and it is - especially if you string it up with Retro Monels...
Old 02-08-2024, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I've not seen an Eastman 12 fret dread. It would be a nice addition to their line however in my opinion. Guess most people are interested in 14 fret dreads...slope or standard?
Right, somehow I think I equate 12 fret with short scale. I should finish my coffee in the morning before I start typing.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
Right, somehow I think I equate 12 fret with short scale. I should finish my coffee in the morning before I start typing.
No worries...some days I need an extra cup myself!

Old 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM

Can only tell you what I went with which was a used Fairbanks Roy Smeck. Snagged it for $3800. At least when compared to modern Gibson takes on that model, Bozeman gets some things right and some things wrong. Dale got everything right.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Can only tell you what I went with which was a used Fairbanks Roy Smeck. Snagged it for $3800. At least when compared to modern Gibson takes on that model, Bozeman gets some things right and some things wrong. Dale got everything right.
Im sure that's a stellar guitar!

Old 02-08-2024, 11:22 AM

I have played the Larrivee SD60 and the SD50 and found them both to be tight and over built, I have owned a Collings DS1a and a DS 2h and not kept either of them very long. I now own a Martin Ditson 111 which I am happy with, but these are quite rare and outside your budget. I think the best suggestion is to look out for a well used Martin D18s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion