The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-08-2023, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

I really went through the greatest period of learning to play on my 12-string guitar, a 1966 Harmony H1270. It was my only guitar for a number of years until I got my Martin D-35.

I traded that Harmony away along with some cash in 1975 when I found a used Guild F-212 built in 1972.

- Glenn
Old 11-09-2023, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

I picked up a 12 string Emerald X30-12 in their 25 anniversary sale this past summer. I have played six string for quite a while but had only touched a 12 once in a store for a few minutes before ordering.

My thinking was that the carbon would deal with the tuning and neck stability issues better and I already know their neck and playability and rough idea of the tone.

It is taking a bit more to learn to play it cleanly and find tunes that suit it than I had expected but overall I'm happy with that lovely 12 string tone and I am starting to find my way with it.

The carbon aspect has certainly held true. The neck doesn't move at all and it is incredibly stable for tuning.

Oh and I got to experience the joy of searching for a capo that actually works on a 12. Finally found one in the g7.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:29 AM

12-string Question #1: Anyone start their journey on 12-string?

Warning: Lazarus thread, rock rolled way back.

My previous post, #11:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Close.

Started on 6 string back in the 60's. Had a 12 string within a couple of years. Have owned at least one 12 string since. Currently own 2 Taylor 12 string guitars.

Don
Back in the 60's I had started on a six string dread, which I got rid of and got an EKO Ranger XII 12 string Dread. Yes, 'XII' is Roman numerals for '12'. I had gotten into electric, and for a great many years it was my only acoustic. But it was great fun and had a lot of good times with it.

Haven't plugged in since the 80's. Since that earlier post, I have added two Guild 12 strings, an F-2512 arch-back maple laminate and an F-1512 solid-wood spruce over rosewood. Both Jumboes of 'course'.

I enjoy playing 12 string guitars a lot, sometimes binging on them for quite a while. As in hours, days and weeks. I think when I got my last one, the F-1512, I binged on it well over 90% of the time for over a month.

I tune all my 12 string guitars down a semi-tone to 'D#', and sometimes one will end up in 'C#' with DADGAD or DADFAD intervals. That is, {C#, G#, . . . C#}.

And I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post

It is taking a bit more to learn to play it cleanly and find tunes that suit it than I had expected but overall I'm happy with that lovely 12 string tone and I am starting to find my way with it.

Oh and I got to experience the joy of searching for a capo that actually works on a 12. Finally found one in the g7.

Aspiring,

About, ". . . and find tunes that suit it . . ." I would suggest playing all of your material on a 12 string at least once. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you hear. I do some 60's instrumentals like "Walk Don't Run", Apache", and "Pipeline" on a 12 string. Also some songs as instrumentals in a raga style in C# DADFAD or DADGAD. And a great many songs in D# 'standard' intervals (what I tune 12's to) like "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and the Beatles' "It's Only Love" with it's melody and harmonies as an instrumental outro. I actually like playing "Ghost Riders" with an instrumental intro, and append "Apache" to it as an outro. Both in Key of 'A minor' ('C') for chord forms. Really in 'B#' playing Key of 'C' chord forms.

And I also found that a "G7th 12 string Newport capo with the compensated string pad" works exceptionally well with my 12 string guitars, all at 1+7/8" nut/fretboard width.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 11-09-2023 at 01:04 AM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 11-09-2023, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

My first decent acoustic guitar was an Epiphone 12 string dread with a bolt on neck (through the back - like a strat or tele). I don't recall the model. I was about 14 (around 1970) and I was captivated by the sound. It was my only guitar for a few years. I never shook the 12 string bug. I've owned a few since then and still have my Guild JF65-12 (purchased new in 1987).
Old 11-09-2023, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I didn't begin on a 12 but early on traded a couple pieces of gear for an Epiphone 12 string. After hearing Leo Kottke's 'armadillo' album I figured I'd learn to play like that. I did learn to be a competent finger picker on a 12 string (I don't recommend learning to finger pick that way, but it's served me well!) but Leo's skills are still in another universe 50 years later.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:49 AM

Continuation/sequel from/to my last post, #33.

After some thought, here's a specific artist recommendation for solo 12 string guitar.

Almost anything by John Fogerty/CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival) works out pretty well on 12 string.
Open notes and cowboy chords preferred in my arrangements to his songs.

Favorite examples:

Who'll stop the rain
Down on the corner
Bad moon rising
Proud Mary
Looking out my back door
Up around the bend
Midnight special, but a bit more like Lead Belly than Fogerty
Green River
Old man down the road

Might have missed a couple, but choose about any Fogerty material you like, originals or covers.

On my EKO Ranger XII 12 string back during the Vietnam War days, I played a lot of Fortunate Son, Run through the Jungle, and Country Joe's "Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die (Rag)" complete with Fish chant. (Gimme an 'F' . . . What's that spell?)

Maybe check out some Lead Belly (Huddie Ledbetter) songs too.

I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

Be well and play well,

Don

Last edited by donlyn; 11-10-2023 at 09:04 AM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 11-21-2023, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

After some thought, here's a specific artist recommendation for solo 12 string guitar.

Almost anything by John Fogerty/CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival) works out pretty well on 12 string.

Favorite examples:

Who'll stop the rain
Down on the corner
Bad moon rising
Proud Mary
Looking out my back door
Up around the bend
Green River
Old man down the road

Might have missed a couple, but choose about any Fogerty material you like, originals or covers.

On my EKO Ranger XII 12 string back during the Vietnam War days, I played a lot of Fortunate Son, Run through the Jungle, and Country Joe's "Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die (Rag)" complete with Fish chant. (Gimme an 'F' . . . What's that spell?)

Be well and play well,

Don
Don, thanks for the pointers and suggestions. I'm also exclusively fingerpicking as a solo instrumentalist I appreciate some of the suggestions.

I have recently come across a version of Hallelujah that sounds great on the 12 as well as bringing a Hal Leonard version of Silver Bells.

I have also changed from the Emerald stock EJ38 12 - 53 based 12 string set to Curt Mangans 11 based set.

I also still think my 12 needs some setup improvements.
Old 11-21-2023, 02:27 PM

I didn't completely start on a 12, but pretty much so. After a few years on a cheap Kay, I got my first good guitar, a 12 string (inspired by Leadbelly and Dave "Snaker" Ray). It was my only guitar for most of the next 10 years, so it really forged my playing style. Still have it, my '64 one owner F212.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:04 PM

I basically started on electric guitar after a painful beginning with a Harmony Stella 3/4 guitar.

I was getting decent on electric, but the mid-Seventies singer-songwriter boom was happening, and I wanted an acoustic.

Bought a 68 Gibson B-45-12 in a pawn shop for $275.

I played that for a few years until I had to get a 6 string flat top.

I can remember gaining ridiculous hand strength learning Mood For A Day on 12-string!

Although I love the sound of 12 strings, I realized that (for me) it is always a supporting player rather than a leading one.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-22-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Sorta kinda. I had a nylon-string acoustic and two very low-end electric guitars when I bought my first steel-string acoustic it was a 12-string.

As I mentioned in another thread, it was Minneapolis in the 70s, and 12-string acoustic was prominent in the local scene. If I ever was to reduce myself to one acoustic it would be a 6 string, but if the cut was to just two, the other would be a 12 I think. Think of the title of the Leo Kottke "Armadillo" album, that's pretty much my acoustic guitar credo: "6 and 12-string guitar."
Based on this reply, I pulled up that Leo Kottke album and am listening to him for the first time. Some of it is too chaotic and busy for me, but some is mind-bendingly beautiful. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-23-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Based on this reply, I pulled up that Leo Kottke album and am listening to him for the first time. Some of it is too chaotic and busy for me, but some is mind-bendingly beautiful. Thanks for the heads up.
It's a classic record. Yes, in his early years there as a some flash and brash in his playing, but his career shows a range of musical expression.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-23-2023, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
It's a classic record. Yes, in his early years there as a some flash and brash in his playing, but his career shows a range of musical expression.
Yes, he's quoted as saying that due to the intensity of his early career playing he had to completely change his style as it was not physically sustainable.
Old 11-23-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Yes, he's quoted as saying that due to the intensity of his early career playing he had to completely change his style as it was not physically sustainable.
I had to do the same; not that i'm kottke, but playing his tunes and emulating him takes its toll too.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:10 AM

I've been pulling up several Kottke videos since hearing that record a few days ago. He's seems to have a truly original approach to the guitar. I love how his 12-string sounds too: very piano-like, especially since he keeps it tuned down pretty low. I was able to find an interview with him where he demonstrated how he plays and tunes his 12-strings. He said a 12-string in standard tuning is really like a big mandolin. That's a great way to put it. To take full advantage of all those tones and overtones, one really needs to tune them down. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one myself! Maybe a great New Year's project...
Old 11-25-2023, 10:23 AM

Guess this is a continuing story.
My work is never done.

Quote:

Favorite examples:

Who'll stop the rain
Down on the corner
Bad moon rising
Proud Mary
Looking out my back door
Up around the bend
Green River
Old man down the road

Be well and play well,

Don
Forgot to mention a huge Fogerty song with multiple consecutive arpeggio riffs.
So here 'tis:

"Centerfield"

I was playing some Forgerty this morning, and it just spilled out right after "Who'll stop the rain".

What a fun song!

Hits a Home Run every time out.
The arpeggio chord runs sound great on a 12 string.

And Fogerty plays a baseball bat guitar on this 'Fogerty Factory' video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s94GcyEL2K4

Who's on First ?

Be well, and serve some swamp funk today,

Don

Last edited by donlyn; 11-25-2023 at 10:44 AM. Reason: proof-reading

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion