The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 AM

Default Another filling/staining/finishing question...

As a follow-up to another question I posted: if you're going to stain a neck, for example, once you stain, seal, pore fill, and seal again, is there a way to make sure you don't sand off the stain when sanding off the extra pore filler? The neck color is nice and even now, but I want to keep it as such!

Is that the order in which you guys typically do this?

Thanks a lot

p
Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 AM

I use two coats of sealer over my stain before the pore filler. I try not to leave much pore filler to be sanded off. Sand very carefully and not too aggressive with 320 grit. I have sanded thru the sealer and hit my stain before, then I touch it up with more stain or a tinted lacquer. Of course you have to be extra careful sanding the square corners of the headstock.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:26 AM

Couldn't you pore fill, then stain...??

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-11-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Couldn't you pore fill, then stain...??
Perhaps I should have, Ned. I feared it would end up too dark. Would have been simpler, though...
Old 06-11-2015, 04:25 PM

Simpler just to buy a guitar. Don't know why we do it.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Simpler just to buy a guitar. Don't know why we do it.
Ha! That would just be too simple, wouldn't it?
Old 06-14-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilQ View Post
As a follow-up to another question I posted: if you're going to stain a neck, for example, once you stain, seal, pore fill, and seal again, is there a way to make sure you don't sand off the stain when sanding off the extra pore filler?
It takes experience to learn this and it is dependent on your being able to put down coats of sealer at even thickness. And Knowing what that thickness is. Simply put , practice and lot's of it.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilQ View Post
As a follow-up to another question I posted: if you're going to stain a neck, for example, once you stain, seal, pore fill, and seal again, is there a way to make sure you don't sand off the stain when sanding off the extra pore filler? The neck color is nice and even now, but I want to keep it as such!
One thing to be aware of, is that if you apply a stain, it will seep down into the grain, if that is the look your going for, then two thumbs up.

Most manufacturers do not actually stain the wood, some people like gibson on there electric guitars will use a coloured pore filler.

The trick to getting than even smooth look but still having grain showing is to seal the wood, get it smooth, apply one or two coats of your clear on, and then sand it flat and smooth, then mix some stain into your lacquer and spray that on, two or three coats usually is enough, then follow up with more clear.

Taylor use a UV gel on the wood, so they retain that natural colour, but the gel actually makes the wood look wet, absolutely beautiful, other manufacturers like PRS are now switching to UV

Steve
Old 06-22-2015, 04:29 AM

Thank you for the info

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair