The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-28-2015, 06:54 PM

Well what do I know? Oak it is.

Not like I need to start another project but somehow they just start up by themselves. Really thought it would be a piece of cake and go really fast. Should have known better, do something for the first time and things you never thought of will bite you. Going to do a nylon stringed guitar. Back and sides went alright, neck is on its way, walnut fretboard and bridge.

Just for the heck of it since I heard a few Martin nylons I went with an X brace.

Had some problems bending the sides.

A little better but the waist is somewhat creased.

Finally went thinner on the side and bent with no problem. Still I wanted the sides thicker so I am laminating the earlier sides on. Doing a piece at a time, do not have an inside mold to use so I improvised.

Hopefully all goes well and in a couple of days I will have some sides to glue the top and back to.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:43 PM

Speaking of Oak, well it came at a not bad time. I had other things planed but when it falls in your lap. Now how the heck am I going to split this thing?

Old 07-02-2015, 04:53 PM

I was at a Woodcraft store demo a couple of years ago. The guy was working with sections of a wind-fallen tree from his backyard, and made a V-shaped carriage to safely hold the round log so he could saw off flat side slabs and eventually get to a shape that would work for re-sawing thin slices on his band saw. I'm thinking a band saw may be the only good way to do this because of the depth needed. Hope you have one available.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:55 PM

It ain't getting off the ground until I break it down. It is a good thing it is round and rolls. There is a few hundred pounds here.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:58 PM

Picked out how I wanted to quarter the log. Then I stripped off the bark. Changed my mind. Not as clear as I hoped. A few guitars in there though.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:15 AM

Could not get the chainsaw so cut a slot with a circular saw. Let me tell you, it was not happy. After some hindsight I could have rubbed some wax on the blade, did that with a handsaw which I extended the cut with. Then comes out the wedge.

Thanks Dad for the wedge. A couple of wooden wedges and we have two halves.

Now to split these and clean up the surfaces. This is going to be an all day thing.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:37 PM

All day? Try day 2. I won't be going far out in public with this chainsaw. Hey it is all I could scrounge up. The log put up a good fight but I got a piece off of it. Once I run it though my little 4" Beaver jointer nobody will know the difference.

Last edited by printer2; 07-04-2015 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Just added a picture
Old 07-06-2015, 08:14 PM

Now just to clean up.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:02 PM

Looks good man. What you gonna do with it?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Looks good man. What you gonna do with it?
Build a guitar of course.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:33 PM

I wanted to see if you could Ebonise Jatoba so I did a cutoff of a fretboard. Steel wool in vinegar, had it sit in there a day. I sanded the bottom half of the test piece with 400 grit, the color goes a ways through. Going to have to decide on a guitar to build in order to try it out don't you think?

Also I wanted to do some experimenting on guitar tops and bracing, make a body and bolt on the tops. I got lucky and found some boards at Home Depot, pine will do. Nine inches wide, eight feet long and almost all clear and quartered straight grain. The bottom board is better than this side it just did not photograph well.

Now I just have to hold off on building an all pine guitar out of it. Even then I have a few tops to play with. Might be a winter project.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:39 PM

My local hardware store never has pine that nice. It's always super knotty and flat sawn.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Build a guitar of course.
Of course... I meant, what kind of body shape, top material, etc. Details man, details!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Of course... I meant, what kind of body shape, top material, etc. Details man, details!
When I got the log into my garage I got onto another forum and I asked a well respected luthier who processes his own wood how I should cut it. He just said cut it a bit over 1" thick, wax the ends and sticker it. When I started splitting up the log I realized it was the log that was going to tell me how it was to be cut. Where were the knots and how do I get the best yield out of it in terms of both back and sides?

So when it is time to cut this stuff up I am sure the wood will have some say in what I am going to do with it. I am hoping an OM or two, a couple of 00's and some 0's, possibly an L-1. A few uke's just for fun. You question got me thinking about some 1" spruce I got in last week. It is for an archtop, wonder about an Oak one rather than Maple? Have the thickness but would like a little more width than what I have. Mind you the Epiphone Olympic had a 14.5" lower bout, might be an interesting project.

Lot of ideas, the question is where will I be in two years when the wood is ready? What have I built in that time and what do I want to do next? Too far out there to guess what I will be building. Lot of learning to do before then.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
My local hardware store never has pine that nice. It's always super knotty and flat sawn.
I always take a peek to see what they have, most of the time nothing is suitable. That is why I was wondering what to do when I saw these. Will I use them or not? I left a couple more there that were close to these, all likely cut from the same tree. Probably should have taken them also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair