The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 PM

Default Went to sleep as a Martin guy – woke up as a...

Hi good people out there. This is my first post here, and I could really need some good irrational different view on a matter that right now mix up my mind.
To put it shortly: I want to buy a Gibson Hummingbird TV or a J200TV – and let go of either my Martin OMJM (John Mayer Signature2010) or my Martin J40 (2009), so I end up with a great couple, a Martin and a Gibson. What to buy and what to let go – I know that you probably need a little more background information to try to give a good answer, but don’t mind that, just shoot?

Anyway here is the story: I have been playing guitar for over 30 years, both electric and acoustic. In recent years mostly acoustic, and I think it’s fair to say, that I am really really fascinated by great guitars, and all the gear around playing acoustic guitar, from strings, over cables to preamps etc.

I was brought up with “the choice” to be either a Fender guy or a Gibson guy (back in the electric days). I was a Fender guy, and I have never owned a Gibson guitar of any kind. Actually I have been proven right in my “not loving Gibson” over and over again, by reading about how bad and inconsistent Gibson is in their guitar making. So why even bother trying them out. Yes this is how long time and insisting brain wash works :-)

When it came to acoustic, I clearly was not a Gibson guy, but not so much a Martin guy either. So I have been around with many great guitars, never really being 100% happy, until I 3 years ago suddenly became more mature, and lost my heart to Martin. Well most of my heart...

Among others I am now the owner of 3 Martins, and 2 of them I was totally sure that I would never let go in this lifetime - my OMJM and my J40. Really really great guitars, but for some reason I have never found my “go to – ever trusty – ever inspirational guitar” in the Martins. They are really close, but always “something” has been missing.

And then… 1 week ago (after more than 30 years) I played a Hummingbird True Vintage and a J200TV in a guitarshop. This was the most special experience, cause my eyes and brain was so skeptic but my ears and heart dancing of joy. This was the sound I have had in my mind and heart always, and the sound and feel I have tried to get out of my Martins…

I honestly thought that the sound that I have always “felt” inside of me, did not exist, and that my Martins was as close as it could get. Knowing now that I was wrong, my GAS has exploded – I want a Gibson!!

I could buy the Gibson without selling one of my Martins, but I just can’t have too many expensive and great guitars that I don’t play and give attention.
I normally play 50% fingerstyle and 50% strumming style and I need 2 guitars, since I like one to be in DADGAD tuning. Style wise I play the whole plate of modern country/pop/rock/soul/sometimes a little folk style/sometimes a little jazz… Right now I only play in simple acoustic set-up, either alone or with 1 or 2 other guitars, sometimes joined by a upright bass. Do a lot of recording to…

I really don’t know what to go for, both the Hummingbird and the J200 are just blowing me away. And what to keep, my omjm or my J40? I love to sit in my couch with my guitar, being inspired and writing songs, which guitar do you think will be my best soul mate and inspire me most?

I really look forward to hear your thoughts - and thanks for reading to the end :-)
Old 03-28-2013, 05:02 PM

I'm giving you no advice, but a Martin-Gibson duo is so so very sweet - can't be beat.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Stiv123

What a problem. The J200 and J40 cover the same sort of territory. The OMJM is a whole different deal. So, logically, you'd ditch the J40 for the J200. However, I have a J40, and you couldn't pry it out of my hands for anybody's J200. I understand the appeal, though.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM

Wink

GOSWO, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in the same boat. Martin was the sound..then I heard the Gibson "growl", the clear notation without any sustain, merging consise sound that doesn't muddle up the composition, and I was hooked! Don't fret(pun), get that Gibson and move on! J.D.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Hmm yes, the J40 is really a great guitar. I am thinking of a combination of J40 and Hummingbird - or maybe more crazy J40 and J200TV. Even though they bouth are Jumbo's they are still so very different. Ohh all these difficult choices :-) J40 does a great DADGAD to...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM

whatever you do.... don't play the Jackson Browne Model 1!
It sounds like the perfectt axe for you.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou...Signature.aspx
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Hi Goswo,
Welcome to the forum. You're well suited to join us, as most of us can't make up our minds and hence acquire the next guitar after the last one we will ever need.

I have neither advice nor stones to throw--a confirmed Martin guy for 40 years, I've been using a J 50 as my go to for the past few months. I still have my 00018s, but will part with one this year in order to reduce the number of strings I gotta change.

On electric, I started a Gibson guy but became a fender guy then returned to Gibson.

Consistently inconsistent.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
whatever you do.... don't play the Jackson Browne Model 1!
It sounds like the perfectt axe for you.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou...Signature.aspx
MJZ, that was not a nice thing to do, ho ho :-) I know very well the Martin universe, but the Gibson world is new to me. But what a world, and boy this looks and sounds like an amazing guitar. Not so sure about the 12 fret to body though...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Go back to the shop (as soon as) with your Martins. Play all four guitars for as long as you need to before making a decision.

Keep three guitars for six months. Sell the one you enjoy the least after this time.

That's what I'd do.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Have you played a Guild? ;-) It might make your decision easier.

Jim
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 PM

And the Guild guy pipes in......I just bought a F47rc hehe. Best thing I've played.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Goswo,
Welcome to the forum. You're well suited to join us, as most of us can't make up our minds and hence acquire the next guitar after the last one we will ever need.

I have neither advice nor stones to throw--a confirmed Martin guy for 40 years, I've been using a J 50 as my go to for the past few months. I still have my 00018s, but will part with one this year in order to reduce the number of strings I gotta change.

On electric, I started a Gibson guy but became a fender guy then returned to Gibson.

Consistently inconsistent.
Thanks Jim.
Yes being addicted to guitars is a hard one to deal with... When I played a lot electric guitars, and had really great gear, I could one day be in tone heaven, come back a few days later, plug in and turn on the power, and wondering what had changed. I know for sure that our perception of tone, changes accordinig to our psycologial mode, but hey, being a gear freak, its so good and easy to blame the gear. But I want to buy my last guitar and being in tone heaven forever, ha ha :-)
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goswo View Post
I love to sit in my couch with my guitar, being inspired and writing songs, which guitar do you think will be my best soul mate and inspire me most?
What color is your couch?

How can we make that decision for you? This ain't no on-line dating forum.

Bottom line: You're on your own. Make your own choices. Of course, the downside of that approach is that you can't blame someone else if the first answer is wrong.

Oh yeah, good luck!

George
Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Something Dan Grace in the Acoustic Section at GAK HQ in Brighton said (don't know if he's watching ) : His personal fave guitar and what he owns is the Hummingbird.

For those that don't know GAK is one of the largest guitar retailers in the UK, and their showroom has the gamut of Martin, Taylor, Gibson, etc etc on display for trying.

Out of all the guitars he has the chance to play every working day - his personal choice is the Hummingbird. And even with his staff discount I'd say it's more expensive this side of the pond than you can buy them on your side of the pond.

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion