The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-29-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Tiple string spacing on nut

I know this is a shot in the dark, but worth a try. I picked up a 10-string tiple at an estate sale, missing strings and a nut. I am replacing with a blank guitar nut, but am having trouble with figuring out the string spacing I need to cut into the blank nut. The nut needs to be 1 9/16" wide and the strings are paired similar to a 12-string guitar. I am hesitating at making cuts without knowing how far apart they should be. Any guidance would be appreciated, even if its complex math.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:31 PM

You probably know this but just in case: tiple strings aren't exactly paired, they're arranged in four groups , 2-3-3-2.

Tiples are also notoriously difficult to intonate properly (the middle string in each group of three is a low octave string).

If you don't get an answer here you might try the Mandolin Café forums, they discuss tiples from time to time. Or the Martin forum, Martin made a lot (relatively speaking) of tiples.

Last edited by frankmcr; 08-29-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:02 AM

Thanks Frank. Yes 2-3-3-2. I was oversimplifying. Good leads for other sites. I doubt I will be mastering the instrument, but thought it was worth rescuing.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:42 AM

Apologies for my ignorance but what is a triple? I've got to 64 years old, played guitar since I was 8, but never heard of this. Do you have any pictures of yours?
2015 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Old 08-30-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman2201 View Post
Apologies for my ignorance but what is a triple? I've got to 64 years old, played guitar since I was 8, but never heard of this. Do you have any pictures of yours?
Here's an article I wrote when I got my 1949 Martin T-18.

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2013/...-martin-tiple/

The intonation and playability of my T-18 were much improved after these recordings by a neck reset, new saddle, and refret. Neck angle is an issue on these because the string tension is rather high.

Martin used the "tiple" name for their `ukulele derived steel strung jangle box. They made various versions starting in the 1920s and ending (I understand) in the 1960s.

They were somewhat popular in Hawaiian music at various times, with artists like Peter Moon and the Waiehu Sons featuring the chiming sound of the Martin tiple.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Very nice!

Old 08-30-2017, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

I knew a chap who had a Martin tiple , maybe back in the late '60s, the only one I've ever sen. I think his had a hog top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments