The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-15-2017, 02:38 PM

Default Am I hearing things or being too fussy?

I got an email link today regaring and arpeggiation lesson. So I watched. And as I did I was particularly annoyed by this guy's high E strings. It just doesn't seem balanced in intensity of timbre. Am I the only one who hears this? And if so, am I the only one annoyed by it? One would think that a quality guitar like this Taylor (714?) and premium strings you wouldn't have on outlier string in the sound mix???

Am I just being too fussy or is this something we guitarists should really pay attention to?

BTW... I have been having difficulty embedding YouTube vids that play within the forum posts. What am I doing wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmoLTAwbvjk

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-15-2017, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Vindibona... check out this link and see if it helps.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-15-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:51 PM

I'm old and so's my hearing, but I've listened to it a couple of times now, and it sounds fine to me...
Old 10-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

This is the AGF so

A) It is highly probable that you are being too picky and
B) No-one is going to call you on it.

But I do hear a little gritchy buzz on the open E every now and again. Tiny bit of a back bow?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

I hear it too. I wondered if he's catching the string slightly with a finger?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

I think he's putting a bit more emphasis on the e treble, plus it is a Taylor he's playing on.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

1. It's a recording!

2. He is picking D-D-D-U-U-U. Ds are fuller sounding the Us (at least in his
hands). The first U is on the E string and you will notice the difference the most.

3. You're being picky.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Yes, it is annoying but unfortunately part of that Taylor sound I don't care for, but many do.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Am I just being too fussy or is this something we guitarists should really pay attention to?

BTW... I have been having difficulty embedding YouTube vids that play within the forum posts. What am I doing wrong?
Some people have more sensitive ears than others. Other people just think people with sensitive ears are fussy.

You are putting the URL inside the youtube shortcode, but you are supposed to strip everything from the URL except the code after v=. In this case it should read only FmoLTAwbvjk inside the bracketed YOUTUBE shortcodes.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 10-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Yes, it is annoying but unfortunately part of that Taylor sound I don't care for, but many do.
What a constructive comment.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-16-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Some people have more sensitive ears than others. Other people just think people with sensitive ears are fussy.

You are putting the URL inside the youtube shortcode, but you are supposed to strip everything from the URL except the code after v=. In this case it should read only FmoLTAwbvjk inside the bracketed YOUTUBE shortcodes.
Thanks.

As far as the "that's Taylor" comments, to some extent I can understand. But perhaps the comment should be "that's Elixir".

I know a lot of folks are committed to Elixir strings for various reasons. And I'm not trying to sway you from them at all. The point of my post was to wonder why Elixir chose to use this promotional tutorial with (IMO) such a flaw. And while Taylor guitars are known to have a ton more shimmer than most guitars (look out- Martin is beginning to play copy-cat), I don't think the guitar itself would be so imbalanced as to have a single string stick out sonically.

I will give credit to Taylor for developing HD lights with 53's on one end and 13's on the other and also 56-12's in addition to standard gauged sets. It's smart because so many guitars aren't balanced in a way that the player wants to experience. But a single string that has such a different timbre is IMO either a design flaw or manufacturing flaw, and I don't believe that a guitar will be so far out of balance on a single string.

I did re-listen to the recording and while I can attribute some of the increased volume on the high E to picking, it still sounds brighter than the adjacent strings made worse perhaps by the picking.

So, as a test I'm going to attempt to repost the video (correctly this time?).

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 10-16-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Look elsewhere. The high E string on Elixirs (as any other brand) are unwound. They sound like any other high E string brand.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-17-2017, 03:20 AM

Quote:
I was particularly annoyed by this guy's high E strings. It just doesn't seem balanced in intensity of timbre. Am I the only one who hears this? And if so, am I the only one annoyed by it?
To my ears it's very noticeable and sounds very unpleasant.

I have four Taylors and none of them sounds like this (I'd never have bought them if they did).
Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Elixir strings to my ears tend to emphasize shimmer on the high end and I think vindabona1's comment that it's the strings, not the guitar is accurate. To my ears I've gotten a more balanced tone from Thomastik Infeld Plectrums, DR Rares and Sunbeams, Martin Retros, and LaBella/Martin Silk and Steels on the various Taylor's I own or have owned as well as my other guitars. The guitar played in that video sounds fine to me and I do hear the emphasis on the high E but I don't find it annoying. I'd actually like to learn that riff, it sounds nice.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I don't think the guitar itself would be so imbalanced as to have a single string stick out sonically.
I should have added to my previous post (saying that none of my four Taylors exhibit this phenomenon) that they're all fitted with Elixir 13-56s. I doubt if there's a generalised 'brand' explanation for that particular top E emphasis in the video.

If this were happening to me, I'd be looking for a notch in the saddle I could smooth; and if I couldn't find one, or if it made no difference, I'd see what a new set of strings might achieve. I wonder what gauge they are? If they're lights, simply moving to mediums might make a difference. I certainly wouldn't be able to live with that top E emphasis, whatever is causing it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write