The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM

Default Need Help with "Helpless" and "I Believe In You"

I learned Neil Young's "Helpless" with a D-A-G progression. But, when I tried to play along with the recording from the "Live at Massey Hall" CD, Neil was either playing in a different key, a different tuning, or at the very least he was using a capo. I was way off from what he was doing. But then when I played along with the version from "Deja Vu" he was definitely doing it D-A-G. At least I was in sync with that recording.

Same thing happened when I tried playing to "I Believe in You" from "After the Gold Rush". I learned it in the Key of D, but the recording was different.

So, how's he playing these?
Old 10-04-2017, 03:14 PM

On Helpless he's tuned halfway between concert pitch and a semitone below. So he's in between the keys of C# and D. But he's playing the D A G that you're playing.
I think he's just concerned about getting the guitar in tune with itself, and because he's not playing with other musicians he doesn't care if it's not exact concert pitch.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:53 PM

JerrysGuitarBar is right about Massey Hall - he's tuned about a quarter tone flat.

In most other live versions on youtube - recorded in later years - he plays Helpless in C (chords C-G-F), probably because he couldn't make those high notes any more.

EDIT: I Believe in You is in Db (on After the Gold Rush). He probably played it in C with capo on 1. To play along with the record in D, you'd need to tune down a half-step.
In this live version he's in C with no capo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko1QCOc82ZY

Last edited by JonPR; 10-05-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Excellent to know! Big Neil fan here and this is helpful.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM

Thank you guys for the feedback. Much appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write