The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-21-2015, 04:07 PM

Default Garageband Punch-in techniques.

Although Garageband has neither Quick Swipe Comping nor the automatic punch in mode found in Logic, there are two punch in methods outlined in the following video. Hope this is helpful to anyone in the early stages of recording in Garageband.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:46 PM

I'm surprised there are no comments yet. Then again, these techniques may be more obvious to people less technically challenged than I am. For example, my initial attempts at the 2nd punch in method outlined in the video were unsuccessful because I didn't realize the punch in had to be recorded onto a "duplicate" track because you can't drag regions between independent tracks.
I'm also interested in general impressions of the video.
Thanks,
Trevor
Old 11-23-2015, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Honestly it may be more a matter of, not that many use GB and I'm guessing not that many home recordists use the punch in method period .
Particularly since the looped multiple takes feature came to most DAWs
Just some guesses . Myself for example although I have used PT since 2003 and long thought I should try it, it is something I have just never done. But your post has me thinking about again.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-23-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Honestly it may be more a matter of, not that many use GB and I'm guessing not that many home recordists use the punch in method period .
Particularly since the looped multiple takes feature came to most DAWs
Just some guesses . Myself for example although I have used PT since 2003 and long thought I should try it, it is something I have just never done. But your post has me thinking about again.
No doubt you're right that most home recordists use more feature rich software than GB and with free versions of many DAWs available GB loses it's one big advantage. While I readily concede that GB can't compete with Pro Tools, Sonar, and Logic Pro (my DAW of choice) I am surprised by the number and quality of features in the recording software included with the sale of every Mac computer. You allude to the looped multiple take feature. GB does have that feature too, although it's far less intuitive and much more labor intensive to use than in professional DAWs.
Thanks for contributing to the thread.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:55 PM

I just record on to another track then copy or cut and paste. I just thought everyone else did the same.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
I just record on to another track then copy or cut and paste. I just thought everyone else did the same.
Before making the leap to Logic Pro I used the same procedure in GB as you but as the video illustrates, it's possible with cycle mode turned on to record multiple takes of a region either on the original track (awkward process in my view) or on a duplicate track (much easier). It was this "feature" that I was unaware of and leads me to a somewhat better opinion of GB.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:01 PM

Hi Trevor, Garageband newbie here and I find this very helpful-heck I didn't even know about command 'j'!
Old 11-26-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpick View Post
Hi Trevor, Garageband newbie here and I find this very helpful-heck I didn't even know about command 'j'!
Hey Redpick,
Glad you find the video helpful. I've seen and heard people refer to GB as little more than a toy but in my view it's a great piece of software for learning the basics of home recording.
Regarding "command j" to join regions, it's an indication of just how useful the apple key (command) is for Mac users i.e. command t to split regions, command A to select all, command q to quit, etc, etc, etc..
Thanks for joining the conversation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD