The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-29-2016, 01:18 AM

Default Any updates on Obbligato saddles?

It's been 3 years since any posts on the whole AGF forum.

These are expensive, but how do they sound? Anyone been able to compare the hybrids with the pure ones?

I'm quite happy with my bone saddle - but tinkering with my guitar's features is my form of (more affordable) GAS.

http://www.obbligatoinc.com/trad_sdl.aspx
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 08-29-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:50 AM

A while back I did some comparisons of a few of the various types, when Michael from Machnichols sent some around. I found they did make a difference but not a huge one - I'm assuming I tested them on my GX but honestly can't remember. I can't recall which ones I preferred but I think the "black diamond", which is not a hybrid one, was the one I favored, personally - it was a bit clearer. I posted a video at the time but its gone, I guess I removed it.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 08-29-2016, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I was also on the saddle road trip, and after trying all the versions on my CA GX, replaced the bone saddle (from MacNichols) with an Obbligato Black Diamond. It is still the one I use and it is in good shape after 3 years. The bone saddle it replaced was worn out after 2 years of use.

Soundwise, for me, the black diamond was a subtle but "worth it" upgrade. I don't recall being impressed with any of the hybrids that were on the trip. I think they had wood inlays and may not be the same as what is offered now.

Jon the owner, will probably help you with choosing options. Just be a little patient, the Obbligato project is apparently not a full time one and I when contacted him this spring I did not get an immediate response, but I did get one.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 AM

I use their saddles (mesquite hybrid) on my classical guitars. They seem to make the initial sound of a note louder and clearer while also increasing the quality of the sympathetic vibration of the instrument as the note sustains. I can almost tune my guitars by ear because when the notes are on, everything sings.
They are definitely still in business.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:17 PM

The folks at Obligato were kind enough to send me a few samples, here is a quote from my review from 2/2015:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
...As to saddles, I have tried two identical Rainsong guitars with different saddles and could only hear a subtle difference with the Obligato saddles, which added a bit of warmth by muting some of the highs. Also tried bone and Micarta but there wasn't enough difference with these to worry about over the stock Tusq saddle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber