The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-17-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonk#9 View Post
In the name of science and mysticism, i am really hoping we get a video demonstration of this demonic parasitic tone.

Food for thought, if we play it backwards , it might tell us what it wants??

On a serious note, so no buzzing from these finicky strings when played open or with harmonics?
wave form and spectrogram (note: open at full screen!) :
https://vimeo.com/182827085

sound clip of the same tones of the video clip (I could not couple the two):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ZIP%20TONE.mp3

Now let's call the exorcist.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:20 PM

Kelly:
I had suggested that early on in the thread. At the moment the focus seems to be on another, and somewhat more esoteric, possible cause. Now that a sound file is available I'm hoping I can get a better handle on this.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:06 AM

Here video and audio coupled, with captions:

Vimeo:https://vimeo.com/183188346

YouTube:
Old 09-18-2016, 07:02 PM

We need a video of you playing the guitar. I am not making it up when I tell you that we will solve this if you show us a video of you physically playing the guitar when it happens.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
We need a video of you playing the guitar. I am not making it up when I tell you that we will solve this if you show us a video of you physically playing the guitar when it happens.
+1 I agree.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&MyGuitar View Post
Last news, and good news.
Experiments included to try steel phosphor-bronze strings on the crossover, and nylon strings on an acoustic. Well, phosphor-bronze wound strings sound perfectly on the crossover guitar, while nylon strings generate the well known parasite tone on the western guitar.

Then two different D strings were put on the crossover, one D'Addario and one Aquila, the last being thinner than the first. Well the D'Addario sounded very bad, while the Aquila sounded significantly better.

So the problem was focused on the strings.
Nylon strings were not tied to the bridge of the crossover but fixed at the ending holes of the bridge by a knot: the parasite tone was reduced just a bit.

The Aquila strings were obviously chosen to go on with next tries.
But the most significative step was to twist on itself the string, ten-twelve folds, as to tighten the wounding, and while keeping it firmly twisted to fix it to the post and tension to pitch.
Gone. The parasite tone is completely gone on E and D strings and almost completely gone on the A string.
The plain nylon strings were substituted with ball end strings (some D'Addario EJ32) and that's all for now folks.

I have planned next tries with Thomastik "John Pearse Folk" strings, Thomastik "Classic N" and "Classic S" strings.
hi me&myguitar,

so do you consider all of this resolved? i was hoping for a more definitive ending. there are lots of knowledgeable members participating in this thread.

to my amateur uneducated ear it doesn't seem like improper technique to me. at least, i can't get any of my classical guitars to sound like that. really light pressure between the frets gives me a buzz and rattle but only a single note.

what you have seems more like uneven frets or damaged strings. but that's just my guess. really i'd like the experts to agree.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
hi me&myguitar,

so do you consider all of this resolved? i was hoping for a more definitive ending. there are lots of knowledgeable members participating in this thread.

to my amateur uneducated ear it doesn't seem like improper technique to me. at least, i can't get any of my classical guitars to sound like that. really light pressure between the frets gives me a buzz and rattle but only a single note.

what you have seems more like uneven frets or damaged strings. but that's just my guess. really i'd like the experts to agree.
If the frets are REALLY low, it is conceivable that non-precise finger placement could result in more difficulty in achieving positive string pressure against the fret.

Also, it is conceivable that frets are loose, and non-precise finger placement could allow the fret to vibrate in its slot.

Either way, it seems that non-precise finger placement is at the very least a contributing factor (whether the sole factor, I don't know), since the OP stated and confirmed that it only happens when there in non-precise finger placement.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair