The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Went to a new open mic - turned pro!

So we decided to go to a new open mic tonight that'd heard good things about but had previously not attended. Since I work evening shifts, open mics that fit our schedule (weekends only) are few and far between. A buddy told me about this one a few towns away that was promising.

So we made the drive up. Pulled and it's a restaurant with a small pub attached. Biker-ish kinda crowd. I'm a biker so that's cool. But when we walked in there was a full band cranking out some Skynyrd and Springsteen and the like. I looked at my panic-stricken wife. We do mostly uber-mellow covers, just me on guitar and her on vocals.

Went to the bar and got a beer and went up to the sound guy who said, "You're up next." Great, not even enough time to get my beer going through my bloodstream. It was probably for the better as we didn't have a lot of time to get too nervous. The band on finished up two songs after we got in and we were on.

We played six songs before we ran out of time and it went over pretty well. People seemed to enjoy it and we got a bunch of applause during and compliments after the fact. We stuck around to hear the last guys play, again a full band with upbeat stuff.

As they were finishing up the sound man was walking around with fist full of cash and came up and handed us $40. Said they run a tip jar and split it with acts that stick around to the end! Whoa! Bonus!! Had fun and made some cash, more than enough to pay for beers and some grub!

We'll definitely go back but we need to learn some more upbeat songs!!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Great stuff!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:27 PM

Well that is a great story. "Well played."

I miss the open mics where you get to do a few songs, and establish some sense of rapport and rythmn. Around here you get two songs or 6 minutes if you are lucky.

I used to run an open mic in Brooklyn once a month at the old Freddy's where you got two songs, and then everyone kept going around the rotation for once song each as long as people wanted to stick around and keep playing. That was fun.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:31 PM

Very cool trip report.

Next stop ... busking!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:35 PM

How cool is that!!

Yaknow, I always envy you guys who have a wife who sings with you.

And I was thinking about the times I've played a four hour set in a band for not much more than you two got for your six songs.
Very cool.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:14 PM

You will be filling stadiums in now time, good job!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Man, Methos!

What a great story! And that sounded like a great time for you and your wife! Very nice!

- Glenn
Old 04-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Awesome!!! If you'll notice at open mics almost everyone is wanting to play slow "heartfelt" songs. You can very easily make yourself stand out by doing fun upbeat songs. Remember that all those folks sitting in the audience came out for a good time. Go back and "kill them" again!!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 PM

VERY COOL!

And, I'm glad to say, I know the feeling. Sometime in 1969 I was invited up on stage at an open mic at a pizza parlor. I was asked to sing Paul Simon's "America".

I was tipped a 1921 .900 2 Peso Mexican coin for that one tune, easily the best and most fun tip ever for me.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
...We stuck around to hear the last guys play, again a full band with upbeat stuff.

As they were finishing up the sound man was walking around with fist full of cash and came up and handed us $40. Said they run a tip jar and split it with acts that stick around to the end! Whoa! Bonus!! Had fun and made some cash, more than enough to pay for beers and some grub!

We'll definitely go back but we need to learn some more upbeat songs!!
^^^This folks!!! I have hosted and played at open mics for many years. My biggest complaint is the "play 'n run" crowd. If you come to my open mic and leave as soon as your turn is done, leaving the poor SOB who goes up last an empty house to play to, YOU WILL BE LAST next time you show up. It doesn't support the venue, the event or the other players.

Yes, upbeat tunes are what people want to hear. Every gig I put together a series of mini-sets: 5 tunes where the first one is fast and upbeat, the next a little slower, the third kind of slow/ballad, 4th pick it up some, 5th another fast fun tune.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:43 PM

Open Mic Etiquette 101

If you want people to stay and listen to you, stay and listen to them!

And if you're all together jamming, don't step on anyone else's toes.

I was at a regular blues jam while I was in college. There was a local guy who thought he was a hero (had a tattoo of himself playing his guitar on his shoulder),used to always show up wearing a double breasted suit and fedora with silver conchas (a la Stevie Ray). Played the exact same 12 bar solo in whatever key it was. Same moves (looked like a Weeble Wobble when he played), same faces, everything exactly the same.

Anyway, he'd show up, walk the circuit of the room holding court then uncase his ES 175 (Steve Howe model IIRC). Get on stage and play.

Often, he would start playing his (same 12 bar solo) before I was done with mine. Even would move in front of me so he had his back to me as he was playing (boringly).

Of course the crowd ate it up. He'd even step off stage before the song was over, putting his guitar away. He'd hang out until the people stopped buying him beers, then leave.

Total DB IMO.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 PM

That is awesome!!!!!

A few years ago I went down to our condo alone to get some things done. Went to a restaurant we frequented on Ft Myers Beach for dinner. A young guy was playing near the boardwalk and believe it or not, he had to...go to the John. Asked me to watch his guitar while he went. Said feel free to play it. He had zero tips in his case.

It was a cheap laminated Epiphone. I started playing Fire and Rain and a cute college aged girl came up and started singing along. Believe me, she could sing! Within a few minutes people were dropping money in his case! Did Fire and Rain and Something in the way she moves. Such a sweet girl. Gave me a hug and left! The guy came back in less than 10 minutes and I had $38 in his case. He said, "Dude.....what on earth did you do???" I said, enjoy the money kid and walked to my car. I heard him say..."who was that guy?" I still get a kick out of it today.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:23 AM
Charter Member

I'd just like to know where you could get two beers and meals for $40 (£31)
Old 04-24-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Around here, in a small rural town, $40 would get you two nice meals and a few beers.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Plenty of places around here.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion