The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha LL16M Jumbo

I've been wanting to buy another Yamaha ever since I sold my FG340 (big mistake) This model has had my attention for awhile, but no one carries it locally, I would have to buy it online.

Anyone here own this model?
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by rrgguitarman; 02-19-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:38 PM

I owned it for a little over a year. Best sounding Guitar (acoustically) I've ever owned. I didn't care for the lack of a preamp although it did sound real good through any amp, just not great to my ears direct into a PA system and that's usually how I play.

I swapped out the nut and saddle for Tusq, and put in ebony bridge pins and added a strap button to the neck heel block.

Everyone who played it agreed it sounded fantastic. Great stiff neck, dual action truss rod. It would be hard to find a sub $1500 solid wood guitar that sounds as good.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:58 PM

All I know is the A3M I bought for $498 is the best guitar I've owned...It won't be leaving my hands for a long long time...
Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 PM

I own an L6, the original L series from 1977, made in a small shop in rural Japan. I love it. Every L series guitar I have played has been very nice.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Excellent.
All the reviews online are very good.

Quote:
I swapped out the nut and saddle for Tusq
I thought it came with Tusq nut and saddle.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:45 PM

The LL models I've played (including my own LL16-12) have been great! Really nice woods, build quality, etc.

The only caveat is with regard to things like the saddle, pins, nut, tuners, end-pin. All of these items, at least on mine, were absolute junk...cheap plastic saddle, nut, pins and end-pin (the end-pin was glued in fer cry eye eye). I had to replace all of these items to get it to sing.

The tuners were likewise horrendous...lots of backlash, wouldn't hold tune, just awful. I replaced them with Grover mediums with size-small buttons and everything's fine now...they were a drop-in replacement and required no extra holes or anything

It's a pity that they chose to put such junk on an otherwise fantastic guitar. If I didn't know any better, the weak, thin tone I was getting would have been all she wrote but I chose to sort it all out rather than return the guitar. It did cost me a bit for all these new parts, and quite bit of time invested in making a 12-string nut, but the guitar sounds glorious now.

Incidentally, I also installed a K&K 12-string pickup, which it turns out is just the older K&K Pure Western full-size transducers. I would have been better off with the standard PWM, but I removed the center transducer and it is perfect now...really sings and plays beautifully.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 04-24-2017, 03:17 AM

I currently have the LL16R A.R.E and it's the latest of several 'L'series (6 and 16D) which have passed through my hands. I have not played the mahogany model, but if my experience is anything to go by you can buy with confidence. These are superb guitars by any metric; well built, great sounding and everything works as it should.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:20 AM

I have an older LL16 that I like a lot. Some consider them over built because they are very substantial - I would disagree with that. Mine is definitely heavier that my other acoustics, but it doesn't seem to effect the tone in any negative way. It sounds great. And the construction is flawless: everything is neat and fits perfectly, nothing amiss anywhere, and I also find it a very pretty guitar to look at. And I also broke the rule of play-before-you-pay: I bought mine online sight unseen.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

I have an LLX26C, which is more than a dressed up LL16. Workmanship & sound are equally superb. Still, dollar for dollar hard to beat the LL16.

Last edited by ronadair; 04-24-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

This really helps a bunch.

Quote:
The only caveat is with regard to things like the saddle, pins, nut, tuners, end-pin. All of these items, at least on mine, were absolute junk...cheap plastic saddle, nut, pins and end-pin (the end-pin was glued in fer cry eye eye). I had to replace all of these items to get it to sing.

The tuners were likewise horrendous...lots of backlash, wouldn't hold tune, just awful. I replaced them with Grover mediums with size-small buttons and everything's fine now...they were a drop-in replacement and required no extra holes or anything
I've had a few guitars that needed the same treatment.
Not a deal breaker.

Thank you so much for all your input.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:31 AM

I bought a LL16 on the off chance it was going to save me some money down the road. I'm a beginner at acoustic guitar but not with musical wood instruments, my starter guitar was a 214ce dlx then moved to a HD28. It was after a couple years of playing I found out I really preferred the the increased string spacing that 1 3/4" nut can provide. Based on a recommendation here on the AGF I was told to check out the post 2012 D18's, which I did and really like btw. But thinking that my preferences my change again as I gain experience but wanting the wider nut I bought the LL16. Very nice guitar that sounds way better than it's price say's it should. Size wise it more like my Martin but sound wise it compares better to my Taylor but with a better bottom end and more volume. Haven't regretted my purchase for a second, I'll also agree with above post, the tuners aren't that great. Still a D18 in my future when I find the right one, (some seem better than others) but I'm happy for now.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Are these guitars made in China or Japan?
Old 04-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
Are these guitars made in China or Japan?
They're made in China. The 26 Series and up are handcrafted in Japan.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Cool. Not a problem.
Thanks.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:22 PM

Just played a LL16ARE at Sam Ash this evening. Even with dead strings it sounded amazing! One of the nicest guitars I have ever played regardless of price. At $799 it's an incredible bargain. I have played one before and it was very good, but this particular guitar is one of those rare guitars where everything just came together perfectly. Anyone in the Cleveland area who is looking for a great guitar should go to the Lyndhurst store and check it out.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion