The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Part of the problem, I believe, is of the airlines own making...turning flying into an uncomfortable cattle car environment over the last 40 years has not helped.

However, passengers becoming citizen reporters with their own cameras and an internet connection, and 24 hour news cycles, doesn't help, either.

Combine that with idiot, self entitled jerk passengers and flight crew who have passed their last straw...and you have what we see. Ten years, twenty years ago much of this wouldn't make the national news.
I believe the Philmeister has just nailed it. Good one Phil!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

If you are not in the cockpit or part of the flight crew, you are... cargo. Things that we used to take for granted (a soda, a meal or a snack, being able to check a bag for free) have gone away. The indignities we endure for an illusion of security are frustrating. Passengers are crass and inconsiderate. There is nothing special about commercial flying anymore. I now equate it with riding a "chicken bus" in a 3rd world country.

It is no wonder that people are frustrated with being nickel and dimed. And crammed into ever-shrinking seat spaces. They try to haul too much carry-on crap so they don't have to pay the baggage fees. Then, make people walk through first class on their way to steerage, adding insult to injury.

My wife and I have owned airplanes. We know how convenient it was to fly to our destination, have a rental car waiting at the ramp, load bags direct from the plane into the car, sign and go. No arrive two hours ahead of departure time, no being groped on your way to a further wait at the gate, no waiting for bags, no schlepping bags through an airport. We only flew commercial for vacations to places beyond the range of our planes. After retiring, we both agreed that we were done flying commercial. We have both had to do it for medical emergencies with our Mothers, and it was beyond unpleasant.

I don't think the "airlines are crazy," it is simply a matter of trying to push too many people into cramped spaces, after enduring the security procedures, and being herded like cattle. The airlines are doing what they think will keep them profitable, people are spending time on-line searching for the cheapest fares (remember the "good ol' days" of travel agents?), then wondering if the person sitting (closely) next to them got their ticket even cheaper? You can't lock your luggage, people are poking through your stuff and patting you down. Just too many indignities for a service you are paying for. It is easy to see why everyone involved is frustrated.

The last commercial flight I took was to get to my Mother's bedside after she had a massive stroke (that took her life 9 days later). I don't wish to be on a commercial airline again. Nothing crazy about that.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
And so she should. That's her job, and if she blows off on a diffiicult passenger, youtube is where she probably deserves to end up. I'm a college prof., and I have the sometimes difficult task of dealing with students who want something for nothing (or very little) in terms of putting the work in. Some are stressed, others trying to hold down a full-time job and study at the same time, while many can be sensitive about getting anything less than a B, etc., etc. Some are just bone idle and want the grade without the work. These conditions can make life demanding for the teacher, but I would never give myself the excuse to 'lose it' and 'just be human' for 10 minutes or so by off-loading on an unreasonable or annoying student with anger and viciousness. I'm paid not to take things personally, and if I can't do that, I don't think I can complain if I'm held to account for it. I think the same standard holds with airport staff.
Big difference in your pay grade and airline frontliners...just sayin'

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Big difference in your pay grade and airline frontliners...just sayin'
Well, their extra pay should be even more reason for them to exercise control.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Well, their extra pay should be even more reason for them to exercise control.
So a college Prof makes less than a flight attendant.
Or maybe you're just joshin' me...

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And so she should. That's her job, and if she blows off on a diffiicult passenger, youtube is where she probably deserves to end up. I'm a college prof., and I have the sometimes difficult task of dealing with students who want something for nothing (or very little) in terms of putting the work in. Some are stressed, others trying to hold down a full-time job and study at the same time, while many can be sensitive about getting anything less than a B, etc., etc. Some are just bone idle and want the grade without the work. These conditions can make life demanding for the teacher, but I would never give myself the excuse to 'lose it' and 'just be human' for 10 minutes or so by off-loading on an unreasonable or annoying student with anger and viciousness. I'm paid not to take things personally, and if I can't do that, I don't think I can complain if I'm held to account for it. I think the same standard holds with airport staff.
You may be reading something into my post. What I shared was an incident when an irate passenger unloaded on the gate agent, who was an incredible example of staying calm, focused, and attentive. You may be one of the rare humans who never lose it. At no time did I offer "losing it" as an excuse for unprofessional behavior. Given how many people fly, and how rare incidents like the extreme, recent ones are, I think airline staff does an excellent job under very difficult conditions. YMMV
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-23-2017, 11:33 AM

I have to give it to Delta, when I fly I fly Delta almost exclusively, and have always been treated well. And I've said this before, but I believe they should do away with the overhead bins and limit carry on bags to what can fit under the seat in front of you. If it won't fit, you don't bring it on. Planes would load and unload so much faster.

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 04-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
So a college Prof makes less than a flight attendant.
Or maybe you're just joshin' me...
My job as a college professor is quite a bit less stressful than the work of a flight attendant. So even if this post is accurate I can live with it!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:06 PM

A lot of things have happened to the airline Industry over the years. As a maintenance worker for one of the majors I have seen the paradigm shift (for all of you that have kids in public schools much of it works the same way.

First know your rights
Second get the names of the people you are dealing with POLITELY repeat their names POLITELY a couple of times during a POLITE interaction. Third if you don't get a satisfactory resolution ask for a supervisor by asking Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. by their name POLITELY.
If all has failed to this point take plan B because as previously mentioned we are all cargo. As previously mentioned in another post. I am sorry if that seems offensive but in reality these people working for the Airlines are performing a job and are subject to many day to day stresses AND some perform their duties better than others. Just like Judges Police Officers Doctors and so on. The goal in the Airline industry is give the people what they want. Give it to them on time. And fill that plane!!! The Airlines also discovered what people want is cheap flights so let's not get into overseas maintenance and transposed liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic