The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-23-2017, 12:53 PM

The problem is that there are sooo many of pedals available and funds are limited, so I can only get so many, try them out decide which ones to keep and which ones to sell.....after a while you get pedal overload and just plain have too many pedals....that's where I'm finding myself. Even if I were rich and could afford to buy them all, how practical would it be to have 42 OD pedals ??
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 04-23-2017, 01:29 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I figured out that I needed about three... Soul Food adds a little oomph... Sweet Honey adds a little more... Plimsoul continues and offers a different flavour for different guitars... (and a DS-1 for straight up distortion).
Old 04-23-2017, 01:43 PM

All I know is I don't have enough yet to make a good comparison. But I will by the end of this week. Right now my DS-1 is in the lead for best OD pedal I have. I'm hoping either the Timmy or one of the Marshalls will knock it out. I've got the Gov'Nor and the Blues Breaker II coming so we'll see.

I wanted to have a matching set of the Marshall pedals because the chorus sounded so good. I got them for a very good price, and the Timmy was much more expensive, so it had better be good. I wanted the Marshall because they are not BOSS as that's seems to be what everybody else has, I wanted something different.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 04-23-2017, 02:54 PM

wow...the dealer I bought my new Timmy from had 20 of them I bought one, and is now down to just 3 left....they really are going fast....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 04-23-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:25 PM

Well the Timmy is here. First impressions is it seems to have a bit more hiss that I expected, but it can be quieted down with some fine tuning. It's got some dynamite gain. A definite improvement over the Tube Screamer I had. Much nicer, easier to tune in a great sounding grind....I can get a nice clean sound out of it too....turn it off and you can hear the A/B difference. It adds a lot to my pedalboard. Tweaking the tone controls gets rid of a lot of the hiss. Once the hiss is gone you get a very nice sounding distortion, a couple of notches above the DS-1 too. It doesn't take long to dial up a great sound. Maybe I'm expecting too much from an overdrive pedal, maybe they are supposed to have hiss ?? Once you get the settings right though, you're ready to rock and roll.

I've come down with a bad cold so I'm not really up to par myself....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 04-24-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Well the Timmy is here. First impressions is it seems to have a bit more hiss that I expected, but it can be quieted down with some fine tuning. It's got some dynamite gain. A definite improvement over the Tube Screamer I had. Much nicer, easier to tune in a great sounding grind....I can get a nice clean sound out of it too....turn it off and you can hear the A/B difference. It adds a lot to my pedalboard. Tweaking the tone controls gets rid of a lot of the hiss. Once the hiss is gone you get a very nice sounding distortion, a couple of notches above the DS-1 too. It doesn't take long to dial up a great sound. Maybe I'm expecting too much from an overdrive pedal, maybe they are supposed to have hiss ?? Once you get the settings right though, you're ready to rock and roll.

I've come down with a bad cold so I'm not really up to par myself....
FYI, my understanding is that most folks who use the Timmy are using it with the gain set very low and the volume up, more as a sort of clean boost or line driver than an OD pedal (as most tend to use them, with gain higher than volume). That could explain the hiss. Otherwise, I'd look at exchanging it, because I've never heard anyone report a Timmy with hiss.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
FYI, my understanding is that most folks who use the Timmy are using it with the gain set very low and the volume up, more as a sort of clean boost or line driver than an OD pedal (as most tend to use them, with gain higher than volume). That could explain the hiss. Otherwise, I'd look at exchanging it, because I've never heard anyone report a Timmy with hiss.
You nailed it....I tried the setting the gain very low and the volume up and it sounded great. no hiss. I did cut the high eq a bit and got a perfectly clean sound. Nope, no need to exchange it now.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 04-24-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
You nailed it....I tried the setting the gain very low and the volume up and it sounded great. no hiss. I did cut the high eq a bit and got a perfectly clean sound. Nope, no need to exchange it now.
Cool! Cool! Cool!

I had to say that three times to hit the forum software's 10-character rule.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 PM

Like I said I came down with a bad cold and I'm not with it at all.....I'm so out of it it's crazy....my nose is running like a faucet. Very hard to concentrate on music right now....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 PM

Well I did a little recording and mixing and this is what my pedal board sounds like tonight....

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars