The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
I can't count how many times, when it was time to change strings, I could not remember what was on there in the first place, whether they were wonderful or lousy.

Some other poster here said he tossed the empty package in the case. Amazing how that simple, obvious idea has helped me.
I keep a record of every time I change strings in my notebook. Then I make a note of what I thought about them. I started the record myself, but I got the tip of recording what I thought about them here on AGF from someone who I can't recall now.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:42 AM

This wasn't advice, exactly, but through this forum I discovered

Wolfram nail files
John Pearse strings

Both of which have improved the tone and playability of my instruments and brought me more joy while playing. Thanks, AGF members!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I've selected luthiers, strings, capos, picks, an amp, tuners, a pickup, books, stores to visit, musicians to see, and songs to learn based on advice I've received on the AGF. There is great collective knowledge here, and a wonderful willingness to share it.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
I keep a record of every time I change strings in my notebook. Then I make a note of what I thought about them. I started the record myself, but I got the tip of recording what I thought about them here on AGF from someone who I can't recall now.
I use a spread sheet for this. Column A, is for the string brand/type, then B through whatever is headed up by guitar model. In the intersecting cell (of {Column A, row "Y"} and {Column "X", row "Y"}) is the date the strings were put on. The far right column is used for comments. Strings that I really liked are highlighted using a distinctive background cell color.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-23-2017, 01:30 PM

Cycle Bob, the BEST advice I ever got was along the lines of your 50 pennies (I like it... sounds about right).

The best advice I ever got on AGF? Slow down, use a metronome to get your timing down perfect, and build speed slowly.

I only had to read this about 100 times, said in a variety of different ways, to really believe it and apply it. I would have learned much faster had I applied this advice a few years sooner.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:56 PM

Quality guitars don't make you a better picker, but they sure make practicing a lot more enjoyable. And more enjoyable practice means more frequent practice which makes one a better picker.

Sage advice from more than one member.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Not sure it it counts as "advice" but I read rave reviews here, especially from Toby Walker about the book Zen Guitar.

I bought it and it sits on my shelf in a very prominent place. I am reading it again and find it to be the type of book you can read over and over forever and gave wisdom, insight and spirituality from.

Truly a life-changing book and, by extension, a life changing bit of advice.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion