The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
The bigger, the better. Jumbo, if you have one. And my experience is that a rosewood jumbo is louder than maple.
Your experience would buck conventional wisdom, maple for projection.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:35 AM

A Taylor 816 sounds...pretty fantastic outdoors, in my opinion.

Indoors, too.

Greg Rappleye
Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
I think guitars sound better inside generally where it can be quiet and the sound can reflect off surfaces. But what about outside with all the background noise, what guitar do you think cuts through best. My vote is for an Adirondack topped guitar.
Can't argue with that. But there's a difference between what 'sounds the best' and what 'cuts through the best'. As a (mostly) fingerpicker doing mainly singer/songwriter stuff, and because I am not a proficient bluegrass flatpicker (maybe one day), I personally prefer sitka to Adirondack no matter where I'm playing. But yes, all other specs equal, the Adirondack topped guitar cuts through best, in or out.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 AM

One of the best memories I have is from a long long time ago. I had a inexpensive Yamaha, if I remember, and we went camping to some reservoir outside San Francisco. We hiked up to the side of the water and pitched our tents, we were being sort of loud, smoking some weed and drinking. Then we got tired and the quiet came upon the water around us. I picked up that guitar and it rang across the water and made that valley sing out like I have never heard. I played and played until I looked over and my friends were all fast asleep, I laid the guitar down and went off to frequency heaven for the night.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 AM

Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
Can't argue with that. But there's a difference between what 'sounds the best' and what 'cuts through the best'. As a (mostly) fingerpicker doing mainly singer/songwriter stuff, and because I am not a proficient bluegrass flatpicker (maybe one day), I personally prefer sitka to Adirondack no matter where I'm playing. But yes, all other specs equal, the Adirondack topped guitar cuts through best, in or out.
This is an interesting topic. My two primary guitars (the upcoming custom Worland and the Pono) both have Engelmann tops, and I don't imagine I'll be taking them outside very often, if at all. I'm thinking about getting another all-solid that I can take outside. I'm not sure if an Adi guitar would be in that price range, but all things being equal, would a Sitka top be more suitable for that than an Engelmann top?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
Was my thought exactly except a Les Paul
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Interesting thread. I tend to play my Rainsong guitars outside and they sound good but lately I've been using "loudy copper", my copper-topped L-OO style guitar and I have to admit that I notice that it sounds better outside for some reason.

JR
Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo_King View Post
National resonator. Street band guitar of choice.
I totally agree ,I've got Martins,Gibson,Taylor,handcrafted Yamaha but nothing beats my three Nationals outdoors,sheer joy!and they keep the tuning much better
Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The answer would be a loud one. With no reflecting surfaces and higher ambient noise, it takes a lot more volume to be heard well. In the overall scheme of things, acoustic guitars simply do not have much power.
I agree on both counts. That said, I have a Dieter Hopf Grand Concierto classical guitar that is an absolute canon. It is especially good for orchestral situations and ensemble work. Indoors, outdoors, no matter! Its always the loudest guitar around. Interesting to note that the top is Canadian cedar and the back and sides are EIR.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
The bigger, the better. Jumbo, if you have one. And my experience is that a rosewood jumbo is louder than maple.

Yep. Dreads will provided a good amount of volume, as well as a Jumbo. I played an old Hummingbird once that could rattle windows!! LOL

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:22 PM

i like my fg 180 red label nippon gakkai out doors. they are so solid you could row a boat with them then hang em up to dry and play with no problems. and loud and punchy. not the complex tone of a high end guitar but loud and no worries about weather. those nippon gakkai red labels were the best cheapos ever made
Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 PM

I'm far from an expert, but to my ears, my jumbo (1996 Taylor 815 w/ mustache bridge) doesn't seem to be a particularly loud or projective guitar. Mellow and sonorous? Yes! But not loud. My dreds definitely seem louder...
Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
I think guitars sound better inside generally where it can be quiet and the sound can reflect off surfaces. But what about outside with all the background noise, what guitar do you think cuts through best. My vote is for an Adirondack topped guitar.
Any guitar, as long as it's plugged into a 100W plexi.

Edit: We Walk In Song beat me to it.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:14 PM

My wife says any guitar I play outside sounds better and farther outside I get, the better it sounds :-)
2008 J45 True Vintage Classic
2008 Martin 0018H Geoff Muldaur
2012 Gibson Advanced Jumbo. Added Trance Amulet p/u

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion