The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Great one Mau! Your pauses and phrases are just magnificent.....I love how there's no rush.....the essence is always preserved......always feel like there's a nice tension as my ears wait for the pause to cease and the music to commence....and then it does on its own time. It's super effective and wonderfully sets the mood for this piece and many others you've offered.
Congrats on bringing us something so lovely and serene.
Oh, yeah.....the D-28.......it's got the goods!!
Fred
Thanks so much for your feedback, Fred.

Most of my pieces are harmonically conventional so I try to be a bit less conventional in other areas -- usually the structure or the phrasing.

You should hear the D-28 in person. It sounds so rich and full. A perfect addition to my collection.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:23 AM

As usual, Mau, beautiful music beautifully played on a beautiful guitar. There's something about the "presence" of your sound which draws me in and surrounds me. Thank you for the pleasure given. Ed.

2016 Maton 808C 70th Anniversary Edition (Australian Blackwood and Sitka Spruce)

1969 Maton FG100 (Mahogany & Sitka Spruce)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely gorgeous, as always! Congratulations on the guitar. Beautiful sound... very rich. Lovely tune. Every note has meaning... nothing wasted
Old 04-12-2017, 03:04 AM

You may think this is a modest piece Mau but I think it really is up there with your best - superb melody and playing.

Excellent

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 04-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodean Ed View Post
As usual, Mau, beautiful music beautifully played on a beautiful guitar. There's something about the "presence" of your sound which draws me in and surrounds me. Thank you for the pleasure given. Ed.
Thanks so much, Ed.

I typically boost the mics up and play very lightly. And I usually keep the same setup for all of my guitars (although the D-28 is strung up with mediums so I had to lower the output a bit).
Old 04-12-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Absolutely gorgeous, as always! Congratulations on the guitar. Beautiful sound... very rich. Lovely tune. Every note has meaning... nothing wasted
A pleasure to hear from you as always, Kerbie.

I was so excited when I first tested my D-28 -- and the excitement has been growing ever since. I know I am repeating myself ad nauseam here but this is truly an exceptional guitar. One of my best purchases ever.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPhil View Post
You may think this is a modest piece Mau but I think it really is up there with your best - superb melody and playing.

Excellent
Thank you, Phil.

I always feel a bit guilty when my pieces are "too easy". I wrote this one in about an hour and rehearsed it 3-4 times before turning on the mics.

I started working on a new piece last night which is technically more demanding and I look forward to sharing it with you.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 PM

Boy I can't add anything better then what everyone above says Mau you know your hi on my list of Solo guitarists and as always I'm never disappointed lol very beautiful song .

I can't but ponder your clarity of recording I know we went over it I'm just thinking out loud .

Your using the duet , iPad and your Mics which I forget if I'm correct so I can cross off the iPad and Daw your using and figure the duet must have some awesome preamps or it's the Mics or combo of the two . I take it there's no other in line mic preamps used ?

I apologize if I'm getting off topic , I always looking to improve my recording quality .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-13-2017, 12:29 AM

So soothing... Awesome.

I love the look and vibe of your video as well, kinda the same as mine :P haha

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy
Old 04-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Boy I can't add anything better then what everyone above says Mau you know your hi on my list of Solo guitarists and as always I'm never disappointed lol very beautiful song .

I can't but ponder your clarity of recording I know we went over it I'm just thinking out loud .

Your using the duet , iPad and your Mics which I forget if I'm correct so I can cross off the iPad and Daw your using and figure the duet must have some awesome preamps or it's the Mics or combo of the two . I take it there's no other in line mic preamps used ?

I apologize if I'm getting off topic , I always looking to improve my recording quality .
Thanks for listening, Ray.

There's no external mic preamp in my setup.

I'm definitely not a recording gear head and have next to no interest in messing around with my setup. My goal is to post decent recordings on YouTube, not to replace a professional recording engineer or to tweak my settings ad nauseam.

My goal is to become a better player and composer. I often get questions about my recording gear -- and while I always politely answer, I don't think that the average hobbyist needs to worry about brand of mic or type of preamp to get a decent sound. I know I don't...
Old 04-13-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post
So soothing... Awesome.

I love the look and vibe of your video as well, kinda the same as mine :P haha
Thanks so much.

We share the same kind of vibe indeed although I am less keen to use colour. Makes it easier for me to choose what to wear...
Old 04-13-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Thanks for listening, Ray.

There's no external mic preamp in my setup.

I'm definitely not a recording gear head and have next to no interest in messing around with my setup. My goal is to post decent recordings on YouTube, not to replace a professional recording engineer or to tweak my settings ad nauseam.

My goal is to become a better player and composer. I often get questions about my recording gear -- and while I always politely answer, I don't think that the average hobbyist needs to worry about brand of mic or type of preamp to get a decent sound. I know I don't...

You hit the mark on decent recordings. Playing skill is one thing good sound is another guitar quality , mic quality , preamp quality are major factors in finial results . You have it all from the home front to my ears

Does everyone have to go highend to get great sound maybe , good sound not so much but the better the gear the better the results . Most what I have is the best of the cheapist I can find via research but I still have herdels .

No need to respond to this as I'm just thinking out loud to better my recordings .

You inspire me to improve my own compositions in addition to a clean recordings

Cheers

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-13-2017, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

That sure was beautiful!
Old 04-13-2017, 05:15 PM

I think everything has been said already but may I add (if not said ahead of me) that you made me feel like I was there, sitting comfy in front of you while you played.
There's a rare "un-rushed" down-to-earth feel to the performance which adds to the whole listening experience.
Thank you for posting.
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele

Last edited by Picking Moose; 05-07-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

What a beautiful melody, Mau!

Do you care to share some of the players who have influenced you?

I hear some Pat Metheney, but would guess you listen to lots of music, both guitar and other players.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell