The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post

Dead strings are a lot of it but there's something else at work that I can't define.
Atmosphere.

Guitars always sound better in a high-end guitar store.

I can't shake the feeling that if it's in a Guitar Center, it can't be a decent guitar.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
I have to agree with petty1818's comments:
Even with the 'new' design, the thin, tinny tone comes out.
Yes, the bass has improved, but the design emphasis (IMO) is on the mids and highs.
That's OK if that is what YOUR ear likes.
I guess that's why there are so many guitar companies - a tone to fit what you like.
Try a rosewood 12 fret and you may well change your opinion! I only tried my first Taylors a couple of years ago but was impressed with the GA models, especially in all mahogany. In the UK, Taylors are not that common, so I hadn't played one since then till last August. It was the bass at first strum which sold me on the 712e and I've been a happy Taylor fanboy for over 6 months now. Have since tried a few others at a Taylor roadshow and can see another Taylor at some point in my future. (Conversely, the only Martin I've tried over the same period that I'd consider buying would be the 00-17S Whiskey Smoke, which does not sound like any Martin I've played!)
Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Old models or not, I've always liked the maple and ovangkol b/s Taylors. Why I don't have one, I'll never figure out. Hmmm.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Played a new 616 that scared me! Man was it spectacular.
It scared me too, in fact to the point that I ordered one with a 1-7/8" nut. A year after owning it I think it sounds even better tuned down a half step.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 04-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
If you haven't tried the new models your posts are irrelevant. As irrelevant as mine when commenting on the "thin, metallic" Taylor sound I was accustomed to. It was only a subjective, personal opinion.
Well as you conclude liking or not liking guitar tone is subjective and personal opinion . We all have different ears and different likes, dislikes, and preferences. One would think that would be patently obvious given the success of so many different guitar makers with different tonal qualities .

But I wonder if irrelevent is really the correct term? Maybe uninformed is more accurate.
Because my dislikes are just as relevant to me as my likes.

Now I have to admit I have not tried any of the new Taylors or any new Martins for that matter. So this next part is about what was considered the prototypical Martin and Taylor sound of say 10 years and further back.

(note I realize you may not be a Martin fan, I am using the typical Martin vs Taylor debate as simply an example)

Honestly in terms of objectivity the new voicing on Taylor is also somewhat irrelevant, because there was nothing objectively wrong with the old voicing. It was just different than Martin or other voicing. While I completely understand that the new Taylor voicing may be different and for you it was a game changer. But for someone like me who liked the old voicing that is not particularly relevant

And far as "thin and metallic" that is a very relevant notion (totally subjective but relevant) for someone who liked the Martin sound. Because that might be the honest impression for them and relevant to them .

Just like for me, who loves the sound of my 2002 Taylor 810 to whom "thin and metallic" actually means detailed and clear with pristine highs. Where as all the 50 -70 some Martins I played prior to buying my Taylor, sounded like Lower Mid to Mid range heavy... mush... lacking detail (again totally subjective ) but that's the way they sound to me and it was very relevant.

But the important point is the fact that I do not care for sweet potato should have no influence on your liking it, nor should my dislike have any effect on you or insult you . Just like I don't care if someone can't stand the taste and texture of Avocado I love it and have a whole one almost every day. Which is the meat of the entire Taylor V. Martin silliness

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I feel the same way. Andy Powers has done a good thing there at Taylor guitars. I played the new 9 series at Gryphon recently and I was pleasantly surprised. It actually felt worth the cost which was high.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

in total agreement that Andy Powers has moved Taylor into a positive direction and is/will be appealing to more people who in the past were not attracted to a Taylor.

I'm liking his more organic look to the guitars as well. I've never cared for some of the visual appointments pre-powers.

I've owned all over the map(Martin,Guild,Yairi,Taylor,Goodall,Gibson,Larri vee, Santa Cruz,some carbon,some luthier builds) and I've found the Taylors I've played in the past 2 years to be much more appealing in tone and visual appointments, than in previous years.

d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion