The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-17-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Need a Backup for My T5z

I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive to act as a seldom-used backup to my T5z. It must do decent acoustic tones, and if it does electric as well, that's definitely a bonus.

Probably used.

So why here and not on the classifieds? Well, because I'm looking for input on what I should be looking at. Sure, there are the Michael Kellys of the world, and maybe I can find an inexpensive Crowdster or Godin A6. But what else should I consider?

You thoughts are appreciated.

Joe
Old 04-17-2017, 03:29 PM

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra, if you can get a good one - IME the fretwork can be iffy and, based on my experience with my own 339 Ultra (discontinued a few years ago), you'll need to experiment a bit with string types/gauges (electric only, BTW - I'm using D'A flatwound 12's on mine) to get both the acoustic and electric tones dialed in; FYI the better examples can easily serve as main instruments - especially if you're playing in an environment that's not conducive to either your physical well-being or that of your Taylor - but in this case you're going to need to kiss a lot of frogs before you finally find your princess...
Old 04-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

What would you consider as "inexpensive"? The Michael Kelly models are much better than their price point would seem to place them.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-17-2017, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

They are hard to find because I believe they are no longer made, but a Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster (a telecaster with, I believe, Fishman acoustic-ish pickup systems) might fill the bill. There are a couple on Reverb.
-Bob
Old 04-17-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInOttawa View Post
I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive to act as a seldom-used backup to my T5z. It must do decent acoustic tones, and if it does electric as well, that's definitely a bonus.

Probably used.

So why here and not on the classifieds? Well, because I'm looking for input on what I should be looking at. Sure, there are the Michael Kellys of the world, and maybe I can find an inexpensive Crowdster or Godin A6. But what else should I consider?

You thoughts are appreciated.

Joe
Another T5z Classic? I think you can get a new one for under $2K, but you didn't define "something fairly inexpensive.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

You can find Fender Deluxe Power Strats and Power Telecasters. Both come with Fishman piezo pickups. I have a PRS SE in spalted maple that I have a piezo installed in, along with two David Allen P51 humbuckers that split, so it gets a load of sounds, and sounds terrific. I've gotten into Teles (I have a Ron Kirn custom with a Piezo) and don't play the PRS. It's beautiful. It weighs in at about 9 pounds. If you'd be interested in that, let me know and I will send pictures and other details.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 AM

There's a used T5 in the AGF Classifieds...
Old 04-18-2017, 09:54 AM

Default What's Inexpensive? Well, Maybe I Should Have Said "Cheap..."

Sorry, guys, I should have been a lot more specific. I'm really looking for a cheap backup. I'd consider the Michael Kellys if I could find a used one in Canada, but so far, no luck.

I know I'm probably asking the moon here, but I'd like to keep it to about $500 or less. This will be a guitar that will, for the most part, god-willing, be a stand queen and never actually get played.

I have a custom Variax that can serve as the backup if needs be, but I wondered if there was something else that gave off more of an acoustic vibe that might make a better partner.

The alternative would be to do some sort of Piezo pickup on one of my lesser-played guitars. Maybe someone has a suggestion for a piezo Tele bridge?

Thanks for all your thoughts -- much appreciated. Given the refined parameters, what else you got?

Joe
Old 04-18-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInOttawa View Post
Sorry, guys, I should have been a lot more specific. I'm really looking for a cheap backup. I'd consider the Michael Kellys if I could find a used one in Canada, but so far, no luck.

I know I'm probably asking the moon here, but I'd like to keep it to about $500 or less. This will be a guitar that will, for the most part, god-willing, be a stand queen and never actually get played.

I have a custom Variax that can serve as the backup if needs be, but I wondered if there was something else that gave off more of an acoustic vibe that might make a better partner.

The alternative would be to do some sort of Piezo pickup on one of my lesser-played guitars. Maybe someone has a suggestion for a piezo Tele bridge?

Thanks for all your thoughts -- much appreciated. Given the refined parameters, what else you got?

Joe
The Fender Stratacoustic of Telecoustic mentioned earlier have surprisingly good acoustic tone when plugged in. I got rid of mine because it wouldn't hold tune. A used A6 seems like the best bet, but personally I'm not as impressed with them as I gather I'm supposed to be. You don't have any good options at that price, really, I think you should seriously consider saving your money and sticking with the Variax.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:10 PM

Thumbs up

Used Godin Acousticaster. You can't beat them!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:24 AM

Definitely a Godin, as stated above, is a great backup. It's actually a great primary.

However, if you have the chance, test drive a Yamaha silent guitar. It would fill a great niche for anyone. A travel guitar you can practice with with headphones in hotel rooms. A truly gig worthy guitar you can take to the sketchiest jam/gig. Built in "acoustic" effects. Nylon or Steel string. Great guitar. There's a guy who plays jazz locally at restaurants, city park concerts, things like that who plays a nylon one. He ALWAYS sounds great.

So the almost "guaranteed you'll be happy" answer is Godin. The Yamaha should be investigated, but it may not be for you.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:20 AM

Wonder have you heard of crafter guitars. Korean made. The Slip Arch Top series has some similarity to the T5.
http://www.crafterusa.com/hybrid-models
Old 04-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I'll suggest one that is a bit hard to find, but a solid hybrid, Yamaha AEX500. I have one and upgraded the humbucker. I really like it and can be had for about $375-400 if you find one.
Good luck and let us know, if and what you decide on.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:40 PM

If its just a backup would a used Ovation shallow body work? Easy to find under the price you are willing to pay.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
Wonder have you heard of crafter guitars. Korean made. The Slip Arch Top series has some similarity to the T5.
http://www.crafterusa.com/hybrid-models
+1 for the Crafter SA, if you can find one.

I had one and bitterly regret selling it.

The "acoustic" tone was very piezo, but putting it through something like a Momma Bear made it much more lifelike. The single coil lipstick was perfectly OK. They now make a humbucker equipped one, which is what I would have bought if it had been out when I bought mine, and I am sure that if I had started out with a humbucker equipped one I would still have it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars