The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM

I think I am normal like the OP. I do spend some time laughing at myself now when I react like a dope. This helps

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 04-20-2017, 02:47 PM

Bus? Taxi? Uber?
Old 04-20-2017, 03:10 PM

When you see an idiot driver - immediately get far away. You have more important problems to worry about.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

On my 17th birthday, I had my first "official" driving lesson (I'd been driving since I was nine as my father owned a garage but not on the road).

I remember that fat, politically incorrect driving instructor's first words : "Assume that every other driver on the road is a dangerous idiot". Wise counsel.

I passed my test a couple of months later and drove my Ford Anglia (105e) like many young fools do.

I got into scrapes and had an accident or two, but remained "invincible" in my own tiny mind.

Through my twenties and thirties, especially when driving alone and on business I became a rather aggressive driver.

The drivers that I really hated were the old grey haired ones who toddled along within the speed limits and tok their time on roundabouts etc., when I was driving as fast as possible from one traffic jam t the next.

A couple of "events" showed me that I was not invincible, and commuting 400 frustrating milles a week to sit in a frustrating office showed me too many nasty RTAs (Road Traffic Accidents) on the way.

I retired at 59 (in 2007), and drove more leisurely - no business/time pressures. My hair turned grey then white. Now I AM one of those drivers that I used to hate.

Right now, traveling daily to another town for my cancer treatment, I see the same old bad driving in others.

Defensive driving, no rude hand signals, (sometimes I allow myself a shake of my head), and I remember that advice : "Assume that every other driver on the road is a dangerous idiot".
Old 04-20-2017, 04:56 PM

Haven't read all of this thread but when it gets right down to it, there is indeed a time and place for a well-placed horn honk. It can help to bring an inattentive moron driver back to the real world. All that aside, yes there are a zillion really crappy drivers out there and it's no wonder they test the limits of many of us.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-21-2017, 04:28 AM

You can't change people, just change yourself.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 AM

Again, this has been a lovely discussion. I learned a few good things that will prevent me from getting killed.
- It's not personal
- Be yourself and don't let someone else bring the ugly side of you
- It simply isn't worth the risk
- He could be just having a bad day
- It is out of my control
- Life is too short
- Folks who play guitar the smartest people on earth
Old 04-21-2017, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudals1281 View Post
Again, this has been a lovely discussion. I learned a few good things that will prevent me from getting killed.
- It's not personal
- Be yourself and don't let someone else bring the ugly side of you
- It simply isn't worth the risk
- He could be just having a bad day
- It is out of my control
- Life is too short
- Folks who play guitar the smartest people on earth
Don't know about smartest but music is a healthy constructive "escape"

Also to add just one more thought If you start organizing your day (and you start to begin to frame your life to always be in the habit of) being 15 to 20 minutes early, as opposed to being on time or late.

About 80 % of personal frustration at dealing with drivers will magically evaporate.

Being late is just a habit of poor planning

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-21-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Being late is just a habit of poor planning
True dat.

I laugh when people arrive late for various occasions, (here in London), and go "Sorry,,,, bloody traffic was murder ...."

You live and drive here every day ! Didn't you remember it's ALWAYS bloody murder ?!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazervalley View Post
I drive defensively and try to leave lots of room between me and the other vehicles on the road. I remember learning in driving school not to box myself in among cars whenever possible when traveling down a road, so I had room to brake or accelerate or move left or right, if a car moved unexpectedly into my path. No one is expecting me to supervise other drivers on the road, so I do not do it. I am solely responsible for the most important people, the ones in my car and pedestrians. I drive in a manner that offers us the best protection.
This 100%. I've calmed down a lot myself. Use the brake, not the horn...

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM

I live in pill/meth/moonshine country.

When I encounter bad drivers, I do my best just to stay away from them.

If someone is tailgating me, I pull over and let them pass. If someone is going way too slow, I try to pass safely or take a different road.

In addition, there's a really good chance that whomever is in the other vehicle is probably armed.

So, if you flip off the wrong person, it could quite possibly be the last person you encounter.

Be careful!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
True dat.

I laugh when people arrive late for various occasions, (here in London), and go "Sorry,,,, bloody traffic was murder ...."

You live and drive here every day ! Didn't you remember it's ALWAYS bloody murder ?!
Yes but I probably should have said " continually being late" as sometimes actual unforeseen issues do arise.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I live in pill/meth/moonshine country.

When I encounter bad drivers, I do my best just to stay away from them.

If someone is tailgating me, I pull over and let them pass. If someone is going way too slow, I try to pass safely or take a different road.

In addition, there's a really good chance that whomever is in the other vehicle is probably armed.

So, if you flip off the wrong person, it could quite possibly be the last person you encounter.

Be careful!
That reason alone should stop all of us from using our finger.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

How to Overcome Habitual Road Rage?

One word ..... Uber

Sit in the back.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-21-2017, 11:32 PM

Windshield washer fluid! Yes! Me too! Lol... just spray them, and when they pass act like you don't even see them.

You know what really pisses people off, is when you act like you're not even bothered. Like it's no big deal.

I've sped up to get in front of the d bag that cut me off, or just HAD to be one car ahead even though we're going nowhere in bumper to bumper traffic.. in those cases, think military like. When you're in front, they can see you.. follow you. Just stay back, watch THEM.

People riding your @ss usually don't even know they're driving dangerously. I've looked over to watch their face as they pass and half of them are oblivious that they are even passing anyone. And guess what.. you're better off with them in front of you anyway. That way YOURE in control.

See, the weird thing about traffic is that unlike most other things in life, being at the back actually gives you the advantage. It's easier to pay attention to what's in front of you, than what's behind.

I've told people a hundred times.. if you take your time, vs rush and cut in and out.. sure, rushing will get you home quicker, but that extra stress of cutting in and out, looking for an opening here there everywhere, will have you so wired and angry when you get home. Vs if you take your time, sure you'll be an extra 5 minutes or so, but just relax and enjoy the ride.. you'll be much better off when you get to your driveway vs the guy who rushed and was giving you the finger. He's probably going home to a wife who cheats and kids who hate him anyway.

Cigarette butts in your grill.. Yea. That's probably the one I have hated for a long time and can't find the solution to me letting it go. Maybe just think about how you can pick the butt out of your radiator, but they can't pick the disgusting smell/taste/addiction out of their mouth. You ever met a smoker who hasn't had one in a while? Lol. They're punishing themselves. Plus, cancer. So....

I think I've covered most of the stuff you asked.

Just play it cool. Look forward. And assume they are mentally challenged

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic