The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Anyone used Aqua Coat pore filler?

In the past I have used West systems epoxy to fill pores on the back and sides of my builds. I have always liked the look but it sure takes a lot of sanding.

I decided to try Aqua Coat pore filler from LMII after watching a video on their web site. It looked like a much easier to use product.

The problem is the first guitar ended up looking cloudy after the lacquer finish was on. The wood just did not "pop" like it did before the filler was put on.

I followed the procedure on the video, which was to put it on bare wood and lightly sand and repeat until all pores are filled, then spray.
The actual instructions say to put a seal coat on before filling so on my next build that I am working on now, I mixed up some fresh shellac and put a seal coat on and then filled and sanded 3 times with the aqua coat. I then put a couple of light coats of shellac on and it also has the same cloudy look to it.

I plan on sanding everything off because I am not happy with how it looks.
Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? I would appreciate any input.
Thanks
Travis
Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 PM

I've used a water-based filler called "brite tone" that is manufactured by Crystalac. It explicitly states that it is not compatible with shellac finishes.

It might be that the product you are using also isn't. My suggestion is to use as few different finishing products as possible to avoid compatibility issues. If you are applying lacquer as the top coat, use that, or the same manufacturer's sealer, as a sealer. If that solves the problem, it was an incompatibility with the shellac finish. You might want to contact the manufacturer directly to ask about compatibility with the shellac you are using.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:14 AM

I use aqua coat with Cardinal Nitro products. First time I used it I noticed white spots in several areas and realized it was AC that had not been sanded off. It was difficult to spot before finish went on but lit up under the finish. Now i am careful to sand it back so it is just in the pores. Since then I have had no problems with it but I have NOT used it with shellac.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I've used a water-based filler called "brite tone" that is manufactured by Crystalac. It explicitly states that it is not compatible with shellac finishes.

It might be that the product you are using also isn't. My suggestion is to use as few different finishing products as possible to avoid compatibility issues. If you are applying lacquer as the top coat, use that, or the same manufacturer's sealer, as a sealer. If that solves the problem, it was an incompatibility with the shellac finish. You might want to contact the manufacturer directly to ask about compatibility with the shellac you are using.
Thanks Charles, I will check on the compatibility issue, I have always heard that fresh mixed dewaxed shellac was compatible with just about anything.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Had View Post
I use aqua coat with Cardinal Nitro products. First time I used it I noticed white spots in several areas and realized it was AC that had not been sanded off. It was difficult to spot before finish went on but lit up under the finish. Now i am careful to sand it back so it is just in the pores. Since then I have had no problems with it but I have NOT used it with shellac.
Ben,
I suspect you are right. On the first guitar I used it on, there was just a few places here and there that were hazy. I know I sanded most of the filler back off to wood. There may have been a few spots I did not get down to the wood completely.

I watched Robert O'Brien's video on Aqua Coat before doing this guitar and in his video he stated to just lightly scuff between coats of Aqua Coat. This is what I did and the whole guitar has a haze to it. Guess I get to start sanding again
The joys of finishing!
Thanks again
Travis
Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Had View Post
I had the same experience with Aqua Coat under a PU finish. It doesn't have the same refractive index as the finish, so you have to sand right back until its only in the pores, with no film on the surface, otherwise it telegraphs through as white patches.

The problem is that sanding back to bare wood risks opening fresh pores. I now pore-fill with medium viscosity CA, which can be sanded level (not back to bare wood) without showing through the finish - at least with my PU, not sure about compatibility with other finishes.

Drew
Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
... just about anything.
Operative words, "just about anything".

You might find a scraper to be faster that just sanding to remove the surface filler. The stuff I used was just awful to sand, but scraped very well.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Operative words, "just about anything".

You might find a scraper to be faster that just sanding to remove the surface filler. The stuff I used was just awful to sand, but scraped very well.
Yes, I will be putting a new edge on my scraper tonight. Thanks Charles
Old 04-20-2017, 08:48 AM

Here is what I was talking about with the haze.

This first picture is with the Aqua Coat pore filler on.

After scraping everything back off I put a coat of West Epoxy on it. This is what it looks like now.

I don't think I will be using the Aqua coat any more.
Travis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair