The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-16-2017, 08:31 PM

Default arch top cases

Hi everyone. I'm new here and to arch tops. I've been around acoustic strings for 30+ years. Mainly Dobro. I have a '48 L4 in route via Fed Ex that should be here the 20th. What would be a good case to protect it with? I want to keep it safe. thanks huckster
Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 AM

I suppose it depends on where in the world you live in order to get quality without having to import, but over here in England Hiscox make some nice, durable, quality cases to fit most sizes and types of guitar. I own two and have had no problems at all.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:18 AM

Have a look at Cedar Creek cases.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM

I have a new TKL case that I thought was good value for money. http://www.tkl.com/?siteid=home
Old 02-17-2017, 04:09 PM

TKL cases in the USA are very reasonably priced and are quite sturdy. Cedar Creek is their upmarket brand, a little nicer, a little more expensive. Guitar of a lifetime? Custom case from Hoffee!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 PM

Most mini-jumbo cases should fit - the Gibson 16" archtop shape is pretty standard - as well as the Godin TRIC case...

Forgive me for asking, but a '48 L-4 isn't exactly common even among archtop aficionados - just what did the seller use to ship it in...?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Most mini-jumbo cases should fit - the Gibson 16" archtop shape is pretty standard - as well as the Godin TRIC case...

Forgive me for asking, but a '48 L-4 isn't exactly common even among archtop aficionados - just what did the seller use to ship it in...?
It's on the way. Should be here monday. I'll find out then. huckster
Old 03-24-2017, 02:58 PM

If it is not too late I have a smaller one of these for a Paul McGill nylon string guitar:

http://www.sagamusic.com/products/pr...spx?item=TL-50 .

A 1948 L4 has a 16" lower bout. Should be a good fit.

Otherwise, a Hiscox Pro 2 GAD-Dreadnaught fits an ES-175. Bought directly from Andertons UK it is about £109 plus £17 postage!
Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Default there are arched top cases and archtop cases - different!

Be advised - cases designed for flat-tops are not an ideal match for archtops.

Many good cases for dreads etc are described as archtopped. This means that the lid of the case is arched to give more protection for the top.

It doesn't mean that they are designed for archtop guitars with the high floating bridge and steeper neck angle than flat-tops.

Although I was not entirely happy with the guitar shipment from them, the Archtop.com website says they can supply cases for archtops.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:10 PM

If you're still looking and are on a budget like me, you could consider a Gator GW-Jumbo Acoustic Case. I just picked up a discounted open box one at Musicians Friend for $92.99.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...condition=used

I bought it for my '45 Epiphone Triumph which has a 17 3/8" lower bout size, so it should be fine for your '48 L-4 with the 16" lower bout.

I do want to stress this is definitely a budget case. It is sturdy enough but when you close it you have to guide the top down and push down gently to make sure the latches line up. If that bugs you, then this is not the case for you. At $92.99 I can live with that.

There is a great case at archtop.com for 16" archtops for $299 if you are willing to pay that and it would be much better than the Gator, but it should be at three times the price. Hope you have found or will find a case you like!

2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops