The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Default *SOLD* 2001 Santa Cruz OM Standard Cutaway with Baggs Lyric Pickup

*SOLD*! Thanks, AGF, and thanks for all the kind words AGF friends.
===========================================
2001 Santa Cruz OM Standard with cutaway and new LR Baggs Lyric pickup. Sounds, looks, and plays great. Big, full, "piano-like" tone. Gorgeous golden aged Sitka spruce top, East Indian Rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard and bridge. 1-3/4" nutwidth, 2-3/16" saddle spacing, 25.4" scale, soft "V" neck profile. Waverly tuners. The cutaway Santa Cruz OM is sought-after and somewhat hard to find.

There are two professionally sealed hairline cracks in the rosewood back (pictured), each about 3-4 inches. My nationally-known luthier Dennis Berck says he's happy to confirm to any serious prospective buyer that he sealed these and they are stabilized. Two edges of the headstock have scrapes down to the wood (pictured). There are relatively few other scratches from normal use, and none that break the finish that I can see. The finish is clean and glossy and looks great.

Recent professional setup and fret dress. Currently with Elixir 0.053"-0.012" strings, the action is 3/32" and 2/32" at the 12th fret. It frets cleanly all the way up the neck, with as perfect intonation as my tuner can measure. Includes original deluxe TKL case.

One take on my cell phone, sorry I messed up in the middle: https://soundcloud.com/peter-walker-...omc-2017-04-21

The low price for a Santa Cruz reflects the fact that the guitar has repairs and wear from age. (So do I.) But it looks and plays great, and it has the big, wide-open tone you get only from a well-aged guitar. I'm selling only because I have my sights on another one that's different but not better; and I can't fit more guitars under my bed.

Last edited by Peterw; 04-25-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous darkened top. Beautiful backdrop too.

GLWS

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Thanks GLWS-- yes, the golden aged sitka is gorgeous. That's torrification the old fashioned way.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Wow, this is a giveaway for an OM Standard, even with the repair work! Just check the price of a new one! That aged sitka is drool-worthy! Someone should grab this one up!!
Steve
Old 04-23-2017, 09:13 PM

Amazing photos! Very nice SC OM

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19, Larrivee OM-03R, Voyage Air VA-OM 04
Old 04-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Is there a truss rod? I've seen some older SCGC models that didnt have them.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I have some SCs that go back to '78, and they all have truss rods -

As far as I'm concerned, a well played-in SC like this is even better than a new one - they really do improve with age & playing. I dont need this, but that price is almost too tempting -
Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 AM

SCGC OMs are tone monsters and it's quite hard to find ones with cutaway.

I just acquired one with the specific appointments I've been looking for and it's an automatic keeper.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Hi JHB, yes-- it has a truss rod. The access is from inside the soundhole instead of from the headstock, so you don't see it. Dennis Berck really hotrodded the setup on this one-- it plays like a new guitar; sounds like an old one. Believe me, giving this one up isn't easy-- the one that's on its way to me better be insanely good or I'm gonna be hurting on this sale.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:28 PM

Bump for a sweet deal
Old 04-24-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I have some SCs that go back to '78, and they all have truss rods -

As far as I'm concerned, a well played-in SC like this is even better than a new one - they really do improve with age & playing. I dont need this, but that price is almost too tempting -
Yup, they all have truss rods. And at that price, it's really quite tempting....it'd be something like $8-12k with all those appointments new, IIRC.

If I didn't already have a pretty spectacular OM Cutaway that's ten years older than this one, it'd be very tempting. Hey tadol, want to go in on it? We can tell our significant others that it's actually the other person's guitar, and we're just borrowing it

-mh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars