The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-03-2011, 02:45 AM

Default La Patrie Etude

Hey there, folks. I'm interested in purchasing a La Patrie Etude, but there's one thing that's holding me back: I don't know a thing about its neck profile.

I own a Seagull Coastline Folk, and the size specifications are remarkably similar to the majority of the La Patrie line. However, there's no telling what the neck could be like.

So my question is, for anyone that has played an Etude and is familiar with the Seagull S6-style neck, how do the necks differ? I know I should probably demo one first, but I will not have the opportunity to do so.

Comments are appreciated.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM

I don't know about the Etude, but the LaPatrie Presentation has a slim neck and it is very easy to play. I can't image there would be much difference between the two.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:53 AM

I have an Etude and a mid 90's S6. The profiles are similar, both are what I'd call a "D" profile, relatively slim, but not "electric guitar" like. Very comfortable, IMHO.

The Etude neck is a bit slimmer than other nylon strings I've played, but not as slim as many "crossover" nylons.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-03-2011, 12:44 PM

I think the LaPatrie cnylons are real winners. I have trouble with a standard classical.neck but have found the LaPatries to be comfortable. They have a nice sound. They are a little on the quiet side but they sound sweet. I think you will be pleased.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Can't wait to get one now, thanks everyone.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 PM

I have a La Patrie Collection, got it used from Ebay, i'm very impressed with the guitar, is not common a classical guitar with thrusroad, sound is beautiful.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 PM

I have an Etude. It's a nice guitar but I now favor my beater which is a 25 yr old Yamaha G235-II. Sounds deeper on the bass notes and I actually favor the wider neck now for rasgueos and arpeggios. The Etude is easier on the barre chords but once one gets past that I'd go for the wide necks.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 PM

Speaking of neck widths, what is the "typical" string spacing at the nut of a classical guitar?

My coastline folk is 1 7/8", wider than the average steel string, and I'm pretty comfortable with it. The Etude's spacing, according to the La Patrie spec page, is just a hair over 2". I'm looking forward to it, but is there that much of an advantage in going even wider than that?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofDirt View Post
Speaking of neck widths, what is the "typical" string spacing at the nut of a classical guitar?

My coastline folk is 1 7/8", wider than the average steel string, and I'm pretty comfortable with it. The Etude's spacing, according to the La Patrie spec page, is just a hair over 2". I'm looking forward to it, but is there that much of an advantage in going even wider than that?
Hello. String spacing and nut width are two different specs. A guitar can have the same nut width and have slightly different string spacings. String spacing is measured from high e to low e strings. Nut width is measured overall width of the nut. 50mm to 52mm nut widths seems pretty common in the nylon string guitars. There are crossover nylon string guitars that can have smaller nut widths (1 3/4" to 1 7/8", the latter being more popular) so as to make the transition from steel string to nylon string guitars easier.

I had the little LaPatrie Motif a while back and it was a very cool little parlor sized nylon stringer. Lately I've been wanting to get one again - either the Motif or the Art and Lutherie AMI nylon... Congrats on your Etude, I think you'll really like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical