The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2010, 03:49 PM

Default Periodic Breaks?

I lost my enthusiasm recently, which is quite the norm. I switched over to my Stratocaster and started playing more bluesy electric stuff. Then I sat that guitar down and laid off for about 2 weeks.

Last night, I picked up my Taylor and plugged in to my new Marshall amp. Within seconds, I was very happy with the results. Everything sounded good, the tone was right, and I was hitting most everything without fumbling. I started playing an impromptu riff, or trying to compose, and had a fantastic time.

I rejoined my family after about 20 minutes and had a totally bright outlook on things. This is what I love about guitars.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Hi Bullsprig,

Sounds like fun! Sometimes we all need a break. Nobody really wants to eat steak every night, sometimes just beans are OK. It's all about what makes you (or anyone else) feel right. Music should be fun, it should provide a break from the monotony or trials of getting through life.

Regards, Glenn
Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 PM

For me that's been the best way out of a rut. Take a week or two off and then go for it. A lot of times the improvement is much more than I ever would have achieved playing straight through.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM

This is totally off the wall and not meaning to hijack the initial post. I took a 25 year break and now that i am back on the guitar has been the best thing. Bullsprig, my main reason for the 25 year hiatus was the plugging in part. I only had the electric cuz the Gibson Dove was my Dad's and i left that behind.

Only since i have been here in Gibson country that i have started the acoustic guitar kick. Totally revolutionized the way and my viewpoint of always having the arsenal ready and electronics hindered that issue.

For persons that are learning i believe periodic breaks should not be a concern. Like i recommend in another thread, take some time off and just listen to your favorite music and maybe analyze a bit or whatever to get your mind off.

We are all individuals so your mileage may vary,

Harmonics101
Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM

I think everyone has points where they begin to loose interest. This very thing was one of the points I found interesting about the Jerry Garcia interview thread. He said it even happened to him. And that he felt remaining focused was something a person had to put some effort into. And the way he combated it was so consiously search for something that inspired him.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
...This very thing was one of the points I found interesting about the Jerry Garcia interview thread. ... And that he felt remaining focused was something a person had to put some effort into. And the way he combated it was to consciously search for something that inspired him.
This is what I do... Constantly looking for new music to learn so that I am always evolving. (I might evolve into some kind of zombie, though... I gotta be careful....)

- Glenn
Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yup, we all need a break sometimes. I cringe when I see people dumping their guitars of one type or another (acoustic or electric) because I know that a change of pace is often just the thing to give you back your drive and/or sanity.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Thanks, folks.

I did the same thing last night. Had some real good results (in my eyes.) Its interesting what happens when you lay it down and come back a week or two later.

Last night, I found myself "discovering" the art of tapping the strings with my right hand fingertips. Keeping a percussion rhythm going, while changing chords. I see a lot of you doing this and I like quite a bit of it. But I never really tried it, and the few times I did, it was a fail.

Somehow or another, last night it all came together. Granted, there are a lot of speed bumps and it wasn't perfect. But I gained progressive improvement. Add a touch of reverb in there, it sounds nice.

As to the unplugged comments, I'm also discovering that my guitar sounds quite good - ala natural. I might even dabble with the idea of a good mike and experiment with that whole process. This is virgin territory for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion