The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2015, 06:00 PM

Default considering an LR Baggs Lyric for my OM

Anyone have a Lyric in an OM (madagascar/adirondack)? Opinions for playing through a small amp (Ultrasound DSX or equivalent) in a small venue (coffee shop, living room with guests). Do you like it?

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I have Lyrics in several guitars and they work great with small acoustic amps. I use a Fishman 100 typically. Have one in my 000-18GE, 0000-28H and Kevin Kopp L-02.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:02 PM

I have a Lyric in a J-45. Does the job.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 PM

I had a Lyric in my Martin OM-28V for a while. It was fine it just didn't have that bigger than life kind of amplified tone that I like.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Default had one..

I had one in a D-18...the new D-18...it sounded thin to me....I have the Anthem in both my Bourgeois's and love love love them. They are so much better in my opinion. Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 PM

I have the Baggs "Lyric" in my Eastman AC812 OM which is Englemann over EIR and also in my Eastman AC508M all mahogany Grand Concert.

I play both guitars in small venues through my Fishman Loudbox Artist and love the sound when playing solo.

It is just a microphone after all, so it may not suit all situations. I probably wouldn't choose it if I played in any sort of band situation.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 PM

I have Lyrics and Anthems--not currently in an OM but in 00-18, 0, and classical. had Lyric in 000 that was traded. Frankly all other pickups sound like a banjo to me when compared to these Baggs.

Jon
Old 02-26-2015, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjond56 View Post
I have Lyrics and Anthems--not currently in an OM but in 00-18, 0, and classical. had Lyric in 000 that was traded. Frankly all other pickups sound like a banjo to me when compared to these Baggs.

Jon
Jon.....which did you like best (Lyric or Anthem) for fingerstyle?

I currently have Lyric in my Voyage-air VAOM 1C (an OMC Sitka/mahogany) and it sounds a little cold. That could be the guitar or the amp (ultrasound DSX). Thinking about moving it to my Bourgeous OMC (adi/madi) or my Bourgeois OO (aged tone/hog) or my Bourgeois O (italian/madi).

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 02-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

My friend has a lyric in an OM guitar and I have an anthem in my jumbo.

Lyric:

-- incredible natural tone. surprisingly resistant to feedback when eq'd.
-- in our system (church PA) the Lyric needs drastic eq cut at 200z, or else it feeds back. With the cut, it can manage a full band AND cut through the overall sound. I'm blown away by it.
-- the Lyric has a very "live" feel to it, i.e., the whole guitar feels mic'd, so it accentuates string noise, rubbing against shirt type sounds.

Anthem:
-- almost equally natural tone, but a much stronger bass response which I prefer. Note, I think the Lyric provides actual acoustic response and the Anthem provides a heightened bass response, but I prefer the bigger sound of the Anthem
-- it still sounds incredibly natural, and has a similar "live" feel with its mic.
-- Anthem under saddle pickup may dampen the acoustic response of the guitar. I think it did to my guitar, but I can't tell if it is in my head, (I'd heard that it might do this before I installed then, then I think I detected a difference.) OR if, once the saddle settled, the acoustic properties came back.

My vote is the Anthem overall. Both are great options.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Anyone have a Lyric in an OM (madagascar/adirondack)? Opinions for playing through a small amp (Ultrasound DSX or equivalent) in a small venue (coffee shop, living room with guests). Do you like it?
Hi Larry...

I'm monitoring friends as they go through pickup/mic crazes. They want to love the Lyric, and often begin to amend that after a few gigs, and consider other options because of 'issues' (as they refer to them). Their issues are either lack of volume or feedback (actually the same issue expressed different ways).

I encourage you to go ahead and put one in and go for it, then work out all the kinks you can and decide whether to keep it or replace it.

People who tend to focus on an idea/dream are not easily swayed. If you like the idea of a Lyric, then I think you should install one. Only then will you be able to decide for yourself.

In the living room with friends it's not likely to get over the top out of control. And with a little creativity, and any extra feedback control you can bring with you to a gig, neither should a small coffee house.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2015, 12:24 PM

I'm one of those that was romanced by the idea of the Lyric. I installed it into my 50's Gibson LG-2, struggled with it for six months, and sold it. Replaced it with a K&K pure western mini, which had been my default pickup prior- and will continue to be in the future.

In short, I found it to be very impractical for gigging. It needed a ton of EQ that most pre-amps and mixers couldn't deliver. Sound men hated it. I didn't have (too many) problems with uncontrolled feedback, but the feedback loop was such that the louder I played, the worse it sounded.

Simply my experience; there are other posters here that love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Larry...

I'm monitoring friends as they go through pickup/mic crazes. They want to love the Lyric, and often begin to amend that after a few gigs, and consider other options because of 'issues' (as they refer to them). Their issues are either lack of volume or feedback (actually the same issue expressed different ways).

I encourage you to go ahead and put one in and go for it, then work out all the kinks you can and decide whether to keep it or replace it.

People who tend to focus on an idea/dream are not easily swayed. If you like the idea of a Lyric, then I think you should install one. Only then will you be able to decide for yourself.

In the living room with friends it's not likely to get over the top out of control. And with a little creativity, and any extra feedback control you can bring with you to a gig, neither should a small coffee house.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 02-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

I really like the Lyric for small acoustic groups or solo, but I would go for the Anthem for louder, larger groups.

The Lyric is natural, but sometimes natural may not be what you want.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I was surprised that I like the Lyric. The biggest surprise for me is how well it cuts through a full band (acoustic drums, bass and double electric guitar with amps on stage.) For a condenser mic solution, its an impressive beast.

BUT

I agree with Aaron and Larry above. Pickups are surely good at destroying the fantasty of "my guitar, only louder."

The Lyric has issues. Its preamp utilizes major low frequency compression to keep it from howling and in our case needs significant eq work. We live with the lack of bass because we have a bass player and piano.

Our other high end guitar has a K&K and we can't get rid of the boxy sound and low end feedback. It is less feedback resistant than the lyric. I don't think it is a pure mini, I think it is an older K&K. That may be the issue.

My Anthem is perfect for what I want, except for the invasive under saddle pickup.

Sheesh.

Others on this forum with great ears and serious track record LOVE the K&K - it is their favorite of all solutions. With its hot response, no quack and almost zero invasiveness on a guitar, I totally get the attraction.

Each pickup and each guitar have their own thing going, add to that various sound systems and environments and you end up with several good solutions, depending on your situation.

I like Larry's recommendation - go for it, once the thrill is gone baby, you'll know what to do next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
I'm one of those that was romanced by the idea of the Lyric. I installed it into my 50's Gibson LG-2, struggled with it for six months, and sold it. Replaced it with a K&K pure western mini, which had been my default pickup prior- and will continue to be in the future.

In short, I found it to be very impractical for gigging. It needed a ton of EQ that most pre-amps and mixers couldn't deliver. Sound men hated it. I didn't have (too many) problems with uncontrolled feedback, but the feedback loop was such that the louder I played, the worse it sounded.

Simply my experience; there are other posters here that love it.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I personally use K&K mini's but I played a show with a guy who had a lyric in his OM-28V. He ran it through an Avalon pre amp of some sort (said they did not make it anymore) and it was the best plugged in sound I have e
Ver heard. A guy came behind him and used a mic only and I swear the lyric sounded better. The guy who had it said that the pre amp he had mad ALL the difference and it was a very expensive pre amp. I will take my KK and mach 2 pre, but that lyric sounded awesome ...and by the way, it was on a full PA at a large club.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:45 PM

I had the Lyric in my Breedlove OM, and I loved it...at first. But FOR ME, for my playing style, it didn't work. We tweaked and tweaked the EQ, the presence dial, and tried different preamps, but for MY STYLE, predominately strumming and flatpicking, I could never get a pleasing tone. It was very "honky" and harsh.

Now, for fingerstyle, it was incredible. Absolutely wonderful tone. But dig in at all, and it was too much.

I spent a year with it and finally switched it out for a K&K pure mini, and couldn't be happier. Still a very natural tone, but more full, and no harshness.

YMMV! You don't know u til you go!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification