The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Default New String Tension?

This was prompted by an earlier post, but I have played with light strings for awhile and am thinking of trying out new harder strings. What are the advantages of harder (higher tension) strings? Also, do you have any recommendations? Keep it on the cheaper side, I'm a grad student! I am used to Augustine Lights if that helps. Lastly, what are carbon strings exactly?

Thanks,

Dylan
Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 PM

Anyone care to answer?
Old 10-10-2017, 12:26 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'm lazy and cheap, so D'Addario extra hard tension as recommended by my manufacturer. Some people claim the higher tension strings get you more VOLUME and that's probably important for some people. I just like how they feel, I've been using the EXP coated strings because I don't play any shows and the basses last forever and ever without a huge dip in brightness. I bought some Augustine blue a while back, not really very pleasant to play for me. I haven't experimented with carbon strings, but I think the proarte composites come with two different g strings for people who aren't excited about the tubbiness of traditional nylon - I didn't like how the composite string felt, so I went old school. That could be a thing. I'm not as persnickety as most when it comes to strings. Or maybe I'm more, so I don't like to experiment...
Old 10-10-2017, 01:20 AM

The different tensions are more to do with the feel of the instrument than anything else although most instruments respond better to one tension over the others and this can only be found through experimentation I'm afraid, so if you are considering a change the first couple of months could be expensive!
The cost of these strings can vary, as I'm sure you know, so if you are getting on well with the brand you are currently using, stick with them as they are not the most expensive available. You may find at a later date that a change of grade will prompt a change of string manufacturer. My personal favourites are Savarez Hard Tension.
As to the "carbon" thing, I'm not a chemist but I imagine one of the many components added to the formulation for a particular string is carbon in one form or another, it does not mean that the string is made from carbon fibre or anything like that. So-called carbon strings do tend to have brighter trebles so if your guitar is lacking in higher-register projection then a setof carbon strings may help. More cost though.
I hope that has given you a bit of an insight to set you on your quest for tonal Nirvana...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical