The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-02-2017, 10:08 AM

It's all good!!
Old 10-02-2017, 11:36 AM

A couple weeks ago, I'd never been in the CF subforum. I'm very impressed by the discourse here as compared to the general discussion subforum.

I missed whatever antics spawned this thread, but in general, I hope y'all can keep it classy - I'm kinda to the point where I try to avoid the general discussion area.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
A couple weeks ago, I'd never been in the CF subforum. I'm very impressed by the discourse here as compared to the general discussion subforum.

I missed whatever antics spawned this thread, but in general, I hope y'all can keep it classy - I'm kinda to the point where I try to avoid the general discussion area.
I think a lot of us here feel that same way. I do peruse the first page of posts on the main forum, but there are so many posts made there that I'm sure I'm getting just a small percentage of discussion there.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:50 AM

An Invitation http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=214410

NOTE: the above is a great reminder, but it is quite old. The current FAQ is here http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/faq.php

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
The AGF is now over ten years old. We have nearly 55,000 members scattered all over the globe, and average 12,000-15,000 different people here every day. That means that we have become a fairly large community.

Like other communities, we have certain requirements, "rules" if you prefer, for participation here. Lately our moderators have noted an increasing number of people who choose to ignore those requirements, sometimes claiming they are not even aware of them. This is curious, since one must agree to abide by our rules before becoming an AGF member.

Full details of our rules can be seen in our FAQ, but I invite everyone to consider this summary.

1) BE NICE! The Acoustic Forum is a happy place. Mean people are not welcome here. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Treat others with respect...

<snip>

Our FAQ has other helpful information, such as details on our Sponsorship program, how to post a picture within posts, Privacy Policy, etc. Being a part of this community will be a happier experience for all if all will make it a point to know and abide by our requirements.

Thanks for reading, and cooperating!

cotten

Last edited by Mr Fixit eh; 10-04-2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Update FAQ link
Old 10-04-2017, 03:12 AM

I have to think that owners of CF guitars are very open to change and eager to hear about innovation and possibilities. Open minds are more often polite by nature. Even we from the older guitar generation can enjoy the possibilities that make our love for guitars and making music with them seemingly new. Composite materials certainly have a place in our future for all products it seems.
Living by the golden rule doesn't have to be a thing of the past either.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-04-2017, 04:16 AM

Stay classy Carbon Fibre Forum
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 10-04-2017, 10:51 AM

I just looked through all threads in the CF forum going back to Dec 31, 2015. Guess how many threads got locked because people were arguing??? The answer is 1, just this most recent one. I tired of looking through all the General Discussion threads, but in 1 month there were 2 locked due to arguing (I looked through 23 pages in both sections). This is arguably the most civil part of AGF. I don't even go to General Discussion anymore for 2 reasons. (1) Too many arguments and inane responses. (2) Because of me (which also entails point 1). I get annoyed by the same questions being asked again and again... and again. I get annoyed at the same arguments. That's MY problem, MY weakness. As such, I stay away. Other people are fine dealing with the same matter repeatedly. I probably won't type anything of benefit there, so why bother. I hate it when I spend an hour plus working out the wording of a new thread, then some joker chimes in with a useless, sarcastic, unhelpful response. Next thing you know, the whole thread has gone sideways. So then... I don't do that to other people. It's simple.

Last edited by Carbonius; 10-04-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I'll try to behave. Well in my own way anyway. But sometimes nylon string talk ...sigh..
Oh man. Now I'm controversial.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Guest 928

Carbonius;

I've enjoyed your contributions to this forum and relate to your current comments. I sometimes get irked by redundant questions but over time I've realized that as new people come on line relatively new members address the question with freshness and interest. And there are some questions that I like hearing over and over, those dealing with nylon string guitars, for example.

When I get irked, or I am irksome, I try and ask myself "what would a civilized person do or say?" Sometimes that works.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Your concerns could be justified, I find myself not coming to this area of the forum as often, maybe it’s that I’m finding my wood guitars more compelling right now. But I find the custom wood area more fun right now.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Your concerns could be justified, I find myself not coming to this area of the forum as often, maybe it’s that I’m finding my wood guitars more compelling right now. But I find the custom wood area more fun right now.
I have liked that area too. I love it when Howard Klepper chimes into a thread. Few words but insightful. In fact, I recall him having interesting words about composite materials a while back.... I just went to check and it was my thread in the General area... go figure!! Here's what he said;

"Wood itself is a composite material: cellulose fiber in a lignin matrix, with some hemicellulose filler. All-composite necks have therefore been around as long as there have been guitars. I see no reason to limit the word 'composite' to carbon fiber in an epoxy resin matrix. But I began using that material in my necks 16 years ago."

It was from a discussion about the seeming lack of dead spots in CF guitars. It was a VERY informative discussion with several reputable builders chiming in. In retrospect, many people lurk in the General area for topics of interest. I guess my thread title drew their attention. Here's the original thread http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=455875
Old 10-04-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
What the?? Why I oughta... I mean uhhh... Well that is certainly lovely that you enjoy old school materials and took the time to share in a most honorable way... shoooeee that was close. How'd I do?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-04-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
What the?? Why I oughta... I mean uhhh... Well that is certainly lovely that you enjoy old school materials and took the time to share in a most honorable way... shoooeee that was close. How'd I do?
Trouble free ..., kinda dull.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:50 AM

Yikes I did not mean my comment above as a wood vs. carbon thing. I just have a love now for my hand builts and have found the “Custom” area to be “nicer”. This area less so recently. I just think the OP’s concerns are valid.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-05-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Subtle, yet compelling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber