The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-19-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Elusive new Córdoba C5

I was perusing the Córdoba web site a couple weeks ago and noticed they now have a C5 Limited. It is a standard C5 model, but they used a flamed mahogany for the back and sides laminations. The site says for a limited time and in the note below the description it says only available through select dealers. I love the C5 as I see it as a great value in an entry level classical guitar. The added aesthetic from the flamed mahogany sort of turned my head away from my thoughts of the C7 model (not a huge fan of rosewood from an aesthetic viewpoint) and I would really like to get my hands on this new model. My local dealer finally learned they cannot get this guitar. I inquired via phone call to Córdoba today and found there are no dealers within several hours of me that can get this guitar. The two dealers they noted do not show this model in their Córdoba listings and neither appear to do much mail order type business outside of Reverb.. why would a maker make it so difficult to buy a new guitar??? I do apologize for my long rant. I am having a bit of a time understanding the business model for this new guitar offering.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:14 PM

Just changed strings on my Cordoba C5ce and cleaning/waxing it up. Had some time to take a Real Good look at the construction and finish of this model. Fit and finish was Perfect,frets all in a row and level with No sharp edges,No adjustment ever needed after 2 years of playing/recording. Neck still straight and intonation right on even though I sanded the saddle down to lower the action a bit. The color is gorgeous and the fingerboard is still like butter,What a Well made instrument! And for the $350 I paid for it I consider myself Lucky!.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 AM

It is nice to hear that you are very pleased with the C5. Your comments certainly reflect my thoughts of the handful of these models that I have played. I have not played the C5ce, as I am wanting the non cutaway non electric version. I think I have found a source! The C5 is certainly the winner in my search if I can get my hands on the Limited model.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:57 AM

My guess is that the C5 Limited may have been introduced to be timed for the summer NAMM show. Which might explain the scarcity of it on the market.

Guitar Salon and All Strings Nylon are typically the 1st dealers to get their hands on any limited models from Cordoba.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
I am having a bit of a time understanding the business model for this new guitar offering.
I guess when they named it "Limited," they meant it!
-Bob
Old 07-20-2017, 07:23 PM

Yes Sir, it indeed appears that way! After a lot of "sure, we can get that......uhhhh, I guess we can't get that" kind of communications in the last couple days, I think I have found a source. But then again, I have thought that few times today...
Old 07-21-2017, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Just keep an eye out on Ebay and Reverb.com. One will turn-up there eventually. I have also bought several of my Cordobas from Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, and Sam Ash... so keep an eye on their sites as well.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:57 AM

I have inquired to both my local dealer as well as a few well reputed online retailers, none of which are part of the small group of retailers this C5 version is available to. Córdoba sent me the names of the two dealers closest to me (one five hours away, the other 7 hours away). I had some correspondence with one of the dealers Córdoba recommend to me. They told me they can order them and told me the cost, so I hope I am on the right track in getting one. I have been on a C5 vs C7 fence for months. My preference waffles back and forth every time I get a chance to A/B the two. My only relatively consistent preference is the back binding detail and the color contrast between the cedar top/rosewood back and sides on the C7... strictly aesthetic. Every now and then, I come across a C5 with some exceptional grain patterns ( though nothing that approaches a flamed sort of pattern) in the Mahogany back and sides that makes me appreciate the simple back strip on the C5. The flamed mahogany version of the C5 has me interested enough to Just go ahead and order one....if I can find one to order. Even entry level guitars can carry the ability to inspire a rudimentary player like me if it has just a little extra visual appeal. Sorry for the far too long explanation. Thanks to all!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:55 PM

I finally found a dealer who is part of this new limited run of The C5. They are going to order one for me. These are expected to ship around the end of August. Hopefully that will be the case.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:19 PM

After a few false starts on projected delivery dates to retailers, the C5 Limited is finally available, at least to some degree. I found a dealer who is authorized to carry these and had them order one for me. The store is a day away from me but I was going to be in the area last month so the timing seemed great. Well the guitars had not shipped by the time my trip came around, so no guitar yet. Just got notice it had been received last week. It will be a few more weeks before I am to be back down near the area where the dealer is located. They did send pictures. Since every C5 I have played have all been very nice entry level players, I don’t expect this new one wil be otherwise. The flamed mahogany does provide a keen aesthetic to the C5 model line.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:33 PM

Passed through Austin today and picked up this new Córdoba C5 Limited Edition. As expected, the craftsmanship is very much in keeping with Cordoba’s quality consistency. The flamed mahogany back and sides are a very nice aesthetic upgrade from the base C5. Same great value as the standard C5. I am glad to have taken the chance and ordered one of these. And do stop in at Strait Music in Austin if you are ever in town... fine place!
Old 12-29-2018, 10:17 PM

Default Cordoba C5LE owner

This guitar has better sustain than the Base C5 for 2018. Not sure how that could be as the difference is the laminate type..yet both myself and the luthier noticed the difference back to back. We tried two of each and the C7. C5 LE has significantly more resonance and sustain.

Anyone know what strings that model uses? I bought it as the sound was wonderful and my old C5 neck warped and pinged the high E.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:24 AM

Savarez high tension, like the rest?

I see the spruce tops are generally not selling for the same difference they were introduced a few years back- Wouldn't mind getting one, but cedar is sure to sound better, in my own opinion. I acquired my C5 on ebay very cheap over a year ago- cheap because the bridge had unglued- absolutely new otherwise. I simply repaired it wit wood glue and it's holding nicely. I have a Cadete I got the same way a year before that.

The C5 has got to be a new standard in used guitars- I'm seeing them now for sometimes under $200 used at GC, where you can return it to the store if you are unhappy with it.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:02 PM

I have the Cordoba Fusion 12 in maple. This is one nice guitar. If you cant find the C5 dont overlook this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical