The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesport View Post
...The Cordoba has adjustable truss rods, because the quality isn't there. Cordoba's are put together on an assembly line in China, so they need to be able to be adjusted. The rods also absorb string energy, and deaden the sound....

The Kremona is dovetailed as they should be....
I was going to highlight your completely erroneous statements but then realized your first post is a zombie thread resurrection so....I lost interest

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 02-21-2017, 11:12 AM

I've found them very good. I have an Orchestra 12 with European Spruce. It sounds very nice. It's resonant with bright clear trebles. The only real issue I had with the guitar was the rough fret edges which I dressed. As far as truss rods relationship with quality; I respectfully disagree.

Last edited by Turp; 02-21-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:35 AM

Default Huh?

What is a zombie thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I was going to highlight your completely erroneous statements but then realized your first post is a zombie thread resurrection so....I lost interest
Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What is a zombie thread?
A zombie thread is a discussion that ended years ago and is buried and the participants are no longer around or have moved on, but someone comes along and brings it back to life as if it's a current conversation.

This conversation was from five years ago.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:23 PM

Ah, yes, I guess I did resurrect it. I just recently had done the comparison, and bought the guitar last week. Didn't check dates. It came up when I was comparing guitars. Didn't notice the dates. Sorry to have upset you. We aren't all up to date on forums
Old 02-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I played the Cordoba C9, C10 and the Kremona Fiesta FC. The C9 is priced like the Fiesta FC, but is not in the same league as the C10 or Fiesta, so I will compare the C10 to the fiesta FC. C9 is mahogany, while the C10 and Fiesta are Rosewood (much better for classical). While the sounds are similar, the high strings on the Cordoba C10 just sounded cheaper. They have good sustain, but just sounded kind of crappy to me.

The Cordoba has adjustable truss rods, because the quality isn't there. Cordoba's are put together on an assembly line in China, so they need to be able to be adjusted. The rods also absorb string energy, and deaden the sound. Also, the polyurethane is very thick on the Cordoba C10, leading to more deadening.

The Kremona is dovetailed as they should be, and the Luthier has his name in the serial number. These Luthiers start their training as young teens. BTW- Mr CF Martin trained in the same area, if that says anything to you. All handcrafted, not an assembly line.

I'd rather have my guitar made by a family owned company since 1928, except when Bulgaria took over during the war, but has since gone back to the family. They only employ 150 highly trained Luthiers, and this guitar is 100% hand crafted in Bulgaria. Cordoba's are mass produced in China, yes China. No thanks. Bought the Kremona and never looked back. The workmanship is beautiful, and the sound is amazing. Try one; I think you will probably like it more than the Cordoba. That's just my opinion.
Wow... yeah... I've owned 11 Cordobas and gigged them for 7 years because I am inspired by guitars where "the quality isn't there".

I sold my $4K American handmade Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova to buy my second Cordoba -- a Chinese GK Pro blanca... gasp! I've owned three Spanish-made Cordobas from their Espana series. All are gone and what remains are a pair of GK Pros and an F10 from the Chinese Luthier series. I must be horrible judge of guitar quality. Or... maybe I don't give a hoot about where a guitar is crafted, only how it sounds and plays. I dunno... maybe I'm just clueless.

Last edited by Red_Label; 02-21-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah, yes, I guess I did resurrect it. I just recently had done the comparison, and bought the guitar last week. Didn't check dates. It came up when I was comparing guitars. Didn't notice the dates. Sorry to have upset you. We aren't all up to date on forums
I wouldn't go as far as to say you "upset me". It wasn't so much resurrecting an old thread but resurrecting it with controversial statements that seem critical but are based on falsehoods and wildly inaccurate claims.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:56 PM

Cordoba's C12 lattice, S/R is respectable, and then some. Full undercurrent with good definition in the highs.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Musical minimalist

I've got a modified C9 Spruce I wouldn't trade for anything

Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

I have a C10 Parlor size Cordoba I acquired 2 months ago, I find it really pleasing in all areas(tone, playability,looks, wood). Its light as a feather and sounds really nice.

spruce top, EIR back

d
Old 02-21-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
The Cordoba definitely has a Flamenco sound (as opposed to my Takamine TH-5C).
Please describe the tone and playability of your Takamine TH-5C vs that of the Cordoba flamenco. For example, I've read that the TH-5C is very heavy and, as a result, somewhat dead-sounding.

True? Completely off the mark?

The more details, the better!

Old 02-22-2017, 05:58 AM

The spruce top on my Cordoba GK Pro has opened wonderfully.

2 years of a minimum of 1 hour playing it everyday certainly helped...
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

I bought a Cordoba M12 crossover a few months ago. Maple lam and Euro Spruce top. It is a very good sounding nylon, even and relatively bright (for a nylon) across all the strings. No complaints here.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 AM

I agree with Fazoo...

Those comments about truss rod affecting tone in a classical guitar is rooted in the dark ages of classical guitar superstition. I've even heard people claim that the supposed added weight of the truss rod makes the neck too heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-22-2017, 09:23 AM

If it is true Classical guitar, the neck is thick enough that if crafted properly does not need a truss rod, especially adjustable ones. Anytime you cut holes and insert metal into wood it changes the tonal properties. Thick lacquer finish, which the Cordoba's I saw had, also deaden the free vibration of the top sound board. Don't know how you can say either of these don't change the tonal properties.

If it is a hybrid that many here seem to own, then yes an adjustable truss rod is probably needed. The neck is much thinner and needs the extra support.

As far as dkstott saying I made erroneous statements, please let me know what they are.

1. Cordoba C9 and C10's are assembled in China on a mass assembly line. While they are full wood, and very nice, it is still made in China. There is no hand craftmenship. (From their own website).

2. Kremona Fiesta FC's are made individually made by true Luthier's in a family owned small business.

3. We all have different ears when it comes to the sound of a guitar. If we all liked the same sound, there wouldn't be too many different guitars out there.

4. Apparently I hit a nerve with Corboda owners. Sounds like everyone here owns one. That was not my intention. I was just stating my views on the guitars I played.

Peace out..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical