The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 PM

Unhappy For some reason I don't like cordobas spruce top guitars...

...I just don't. I like alot of other manufactures spruce guitars, but for some reason I just don't like the cordoba spruce guitars. Cordoba is by far my favorite factory made classical guitar, bar none. But the spruce models, of anything, just don't seem to do what they are supposed to do. I understand that spruce needs time to open up, but when I am comparing a cordoba spruce top model to another spruce top factory guitar, like a kremona spruce top that I had a chance to compare for example, the kremona will show the brilliant highs and colors of a spruce top off bat, where (typical to the ones I play, and the spruce c9 I own) the cordoba spruce top will just seem muted, sound plasticy, and have almost zero resonance. Where the cedar cordobas, like the cedar c9's I have owned, will resonate so much that the entire guitar will vibrate. Am I just asking too much of a new spruce top or being too hard on new unopened spruce, or has anyone felt the same way? I think the biggest example to me of this is the cordoba gk studios that I have played.

(Note, this is a copy/paste of a post I made just now on the delcamp forum, I just wanted to see if I could get as much input as possible. You see, I just purchased a spruce cordoba c9 for 700, and after like 2 and a half weeks of constant playing, it is not showing even a hint of potential or resonance, which is really important for me in a guitar. I need to, even if slightly, feel a guitar resonant when I play. The cedar c9's I have played have been incredible, but this guitar is hard to even tell it is a solid wood when I play... ...)

Last edited by toomanyknots; 06-26-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:27 PM

Interesting; as I just posted, I received my $340 + $37 shipping used Cordoba GK Studio from Ebay (eddie-spaghetti - I think he has one left). The guitar arrived like new, with only the slight defect mentioned in the description. Without AB'ing them, I had assumed it was a different tone than my other (high-end) Flamencos.

I just AB'd it with my ($2600 list) Sanchis Flamenca Blanca, and the tone was almost indistinguishable, enough so that it may have been subjective switching between the guitars. The Cordoba definitely has a Flamenco sound (as opposed to my Takamine TH-5C).
To my ears, it sounds very Flamenco, with that slight Flamenco growl that is sometimes interpreted as buzzy strings; and it is SUPPOSED to lack resonance. In fact, my only criticism of it originally was a perceived over-bass, which I assumed were the strings. But now I think it was my imagination, since it sounds so close to the Sanchis.....

Very surprising to me, but what a deal!

I'm going to take a chance on it at my gig tonight to see how it sounds in a real situation.... Then there is that beach party tomorrow.....
Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 PM

I have the C9 Spruce, and am completely happy with the tone I get out of it. Every bit of the spruce character one could hope for.

It did take a bit of playing to start opening it up, but I'm only talking about maybe a weeks worth. I can definately feel the guitar vibrating when I play. Very responsive instrument.

I also have the Fusion 14 RS (spruce top).. which is OK, but the tone is a lot tighter than the C9. It's opening up a little, but not much.

Just received the GK Studio Negra, and the spruce top on this one is pretty lively. I'm looking forward to seeing how well it matures.

I've also seen 2 C10 spruce tops, and thought they were outstanding.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 08-27-2012, 01:00 PM

I'll have to disagree. Cordoba is no different than any other maker when it comes to spruce vs cedar tops. The cedar will give you very nice highs and fuller mids than spruce, but it just doesn't having that driving, thundering bass of spruce that I associate with a well-made classical or flamenco guitar. I would never own a cedar topped guitar of any kind as I have yet to play one that had the bass I was looking for. Perhaps there's some way to voice the top and struts to give cedar more bass. If there is, no one seems to be doing it.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Cordobas must be very different from any other classical guitars that I know about.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyknots View Post
...where (typical to the ones I play, and the spruce c9 I own) the cordoba spruce top will just seem muted
One thing to keep in mind is that the C9 has mahogany backs and sides, and that will make the guitar a tad dark sounding. A cedar top on a C9 would give it some nice highs and mids out of the box, but not the big lows. On the other hand, since it's already a little dark sounding, a cedar top may in some ways be a better match for a guitar with mahogany backs and sides.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Toomanyknots:

Have you considered changing the treble strings to high tension strings or perhaps titanium strings? It might help give that high end sparkle you are looking for.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
Toomanyknots:

Have you considered changing the treble strings to high tension strings or perhaps titanium strings? It might help give that high end sparkle you are looking for.
Agreed.... I switched to carbon trebles to brighten up my C9 and they worked perfectly. (Oasis GPX HT)
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
Cordoba Stage
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woa_horsey View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the C9 has mahogany backs and sides, and that will make the guitar a tad dark sounding. A cedar top on a C9 would give it some nice highs and mids out of the box, but not the big lows. On the other hand, since it's already a little dark sounding, a cedar top may in some ways be a better match for a guitar with mahogany backs and sides.
I wouldn't expect that mahogany would generally produce the characteristics you suggest. And it turns out that my experience with the specific guitars you mentioned support that. Maybe the ones you played were different.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:16 AM

Really? I don't think it's as pronounced in classical guitars for some reason, but mahogany (including the tops) has traditionally been used for steel string blues guitars because of its dark tone. I have played a C9 once, and it wasn't real dark or anything though. That's why I say a "tad" dark.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
Wow, Cordobas must be very different from any other classical guitars that I know about.
+1

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 PM

I just bought a spruce top Cordoba Fusion 12 and recorded a few songs with a flip camera. I really like the spruce and rosewood combo and the neck is the best ever! I have a set of Savarez high tension blue card strings on it. Had it for a few months and it is opening up nicely. It sounds better in person than these videos and I am very happy with it so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCUL5E6MvN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWvqA...hannel&list=UL

Last edited by strongdad; 08-30-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
I know, it seems stupid for me to think that. After a month or so, my c9 spruce is singing pretty nicely. Although no where near as resonant as the c9 cedar's I have played. I played one c9 cedar, that my wife said it sounded like a being in a cathedral. (Her words, not mine, ). Maybe I am just expecting too much of spruce too soon, or the other spruce top guitars I played were lighter built and more responsive. Although I don't personally like the cordoba gk studio or lower end cordoba flamenco models, it seems I am in the extreme minority. I would absolutely recommend any of their classicals c5 and up though, spruce or cedar.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyknots View Post
I know, it seems stupid for me to think that. After a month or so, my c9 spruce is singing pretty nicely. Although no where near as resonant as the c9 cedar's I have played. I played one c9 cedar, that my wife said it sounded like a being in a cathedral. (Her words, not mine, ). Maybe I am just expecting too much of spruce too soon, or the other spruce top guitars I played were lighter built and more responsive. Although I don't personally like the cordoba gk studio or lower end cordoba flamenco models, it seems I am in the extreme minority. I would absolutely recommend any of their classicals c5 and up though, spruce or cedar.
The more you play the c9 spruce, the more you'll like it. I've had mine for about 4 months now, and it keeps opening up more and more. I also switched to the Oasis GPX carbons, which seem to suit this guitar very well.

You can't compare the Cordoba Flamenco's to the Cordoba Classicals in the Iberia series. I had an experienced Flamenco guitarist play my GK Studio Negra, and for Flamenco repertoire, it sounded amazing (kinda weak for classical, but OK for practice). The guitarist's only complaint was that the neck felt "thin", but he liked the sound and the access the cutaway provided.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
Cordoba Stage
Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 AM

I played the Cordoba C9, C10 and the Kremona Fiesta FC. The C9 is priced like the Fiesta FC, but is not in the same league as the C10 or Fiesta, so I will compare the C10 to the fiesta FC. C9 is mahogany, while the C10 and Fiesta are Rosewood (much better for classical). While the sounds are similar, the high strings on the Cordoba C10 just sounded cheaper. They have good sustain, but just sounded kind of crappy to me.

The Cordoba has adjustable truss rods, because the quality isn't there. Cordoba's are put together on an assembly line in China, so they need to be able to be adjusted. The rods also absorb string energy, and deaden the sound. Also, the polyurethane is very thick on the Cordoba C10, leading to more deadening.

The Kremona is dovetailed as they should be, and the Luthier has his name in the serial number. These Luthiers start their training as young teens. BTW- Mr CF Martin trained in the same area, if that says anything to you. All handcrafted, not an assembly line.

I'd rather have my guitar made by a family owned company since 1928, except when Bulgaria took over during the war, but has since gone back to the family. They only employ 150 highly trained Luthiers, and this guitar is 100% hand crafted in Bulgaria. Cordoba's are mass produced in China, yes China. No thanks. Bought the Kremona and never looked back. The workmanship is beautiful, and the sound is amazing. Try one; I think you will probably like it more than the Cordoba. That's just my opinion.

Last edited by sesport; 02-21-2017 at 11:04 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical