The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Default Ultrasound amp Question

Ok so for some reason I am considering trying an acoustic amp for small gigs or such and singing with it. so the DS4( per Ultrasound site-- looks like the ag50) will the XLR inputs take the balanced cable from my Taylor ES just fine?? looks to be just the amp at a decent price to work well w/ES.

Lee

Last edited by leeasam; 03-26-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:30 AM

In a word...yes...that's exactly what they're for. They are a hybrid TRS/XLR input to handle both plugs. You have two identical channels so it doesn't matter which one you use. EFX are assignable to one or the other or both at the same time. My DS2 has XLR for vocals and TRS for guitar with EFX only to the guitar side. I use a Radio Shack adapter to use my ES and it works just fine. If I really felt I needed a new amp I'd upgrade to the DS4 in a heartbeat but I really love my DS2 and as far as sound and transparency it's no different.

The DS4 just has more features. You will do just fine with the DS4. The Hybrid inputs allow you to use any guitar set up.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 03-26-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
In a word...yes...that's exactly what they're for. They are a hybrid TRS/XLR input to handle both plugs. You have two identical channels so it doesn't matter which one you use. EFX are assignable to one or the other or both at the same time. My DS2 has XLR for vocals and TRS for guitar with EFX only to the guitar side. I use a Radio Shack adapter to use my ES and it works just fine. If I really felt I needed a new amp I'd upgrade to the DS4 in a heartbeat but I really love my DS2 and as far as sound and transparency it's no different.

The DS4 just has more features. You will do just fine with the DS4. The Hybrid inputs allow you to use any guitar set up.
so with the DS4 all the FX and EQ and such will also work with the XLR input. I do know of many Acoustic amps that have both but many of the fx and eq options are only avail on the 1/4" instrument jack.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
so with the DS4 all the FX and EQ and such will also work with the XLR input. I do know of many Acoustic amps that have both but many of the fx and eq options are only avail on the 1/4" instrument jack.
Hi lee…
Pretty sure they do, but if in doubt, just give UltraSound a call - their service is very personal.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
The effects are all available to both channels on the DS4. As Nelson said, you can switch it to one or the other or both at the same time. The only thing you can't do is send a DIFFERENT effect to each channel (like a chorus to the guitar and a reverb to the other channel for vocals).

The channels are not quite identical, however. Ch. 2 has the shaping switch (a fixed mid range dip) and a feedback notch filter. It's designed especially with the guitar in mind, although for what it's worth, when I had one of these, I actually used to use ch. 2 for my vocals and put my guitar into channel 1. I just liked the effect that the shaping switch had on my vocals, and the guitar sounded fine on channel 1. I had a PADI in front of it, so I used that to take out a chunk of the mids.

Louis
Old 03-26-2011, 02:59 PM

thanks everyone. The shop I frequent has one in stock. ( about 65 miles away though) so next saturday if they still have it I will drag my Taylor and cable along with me and try it out. It can give me the ability to do some solo stuff with out dragging around a full pa and if I happen to play with a larger group at a strange venue I can use the amp as a monitor with the sound and eq already like I want and either mic or use the direct out to FOH. I usually like my guitars with no FX but if I had the ability to add something like a tad of reverb or mild chorus at times it could be an interesting thing. just would give me some options.
hmmmm reading many posts on stuff like this just got me thinking-- and possibly costing me some more cash
Old 03-26-2011, 04:54 PM

so anyone have any experince with an acoustic AG60 amp alot of features and less money than the Ultrasound
Old 03-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
so anyone have any experince with an acoustic AG60 amp alot of features and less money than the Ultrasound
I've only played through one very briefly in the store. Sounded OK to me, but I balked at the weight, so I nver really considered it seriously. The thing weighs almost 60lbs! More than twice the weight of the DS4. My GB Pro LT, with its 12" speaker and 300 watt amplifier weighs only 37 lbs.

Louis
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
I've only played through one very briefly in the store. Sounded OK to me, but I balked at the weight, so I nver really considered it seriously. The thing weighs almost 60lbs! More than twice the weight of the DS4. My GB Pro LT, with its 12" speaker and 300 watt amplifier weighs only 37 lbs.

Louis
ya that would be a tank. just checked their website and 58lbs. not crazy about dragging that kid of weight around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification