The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 08-28-2017, 02:24 PM

Default *SOLD* 2013 520 Taylor First Edition #84 of 100 (Hog) Dread - Unplayed Cond.**

NOS 2013 520 all hog CV-Braced First Edition (#84 of 100 made) (excellent/unplayed**) with a 25.5" scale and First Edition OHSC. I bought it new as NOS in Dec. 2016 and it's been played almost not at all (less than 2 hours). Only selling because a bad shoulder means I'm limited to smaller-size guitars, so I've replaced this dread with a Taylor M522.

Priced to sell at **** (shipped and PP'd), Buy through Reverb https://reverb.com/item/4767995-tayl...ahogany-w-ohsc and eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-520-F...C/232505042861 or **** for local Seattle-area pickup https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/m...282548007.html Too many guitars, so no trades.

It sounds amazing for strumming or fingerstyle (vids below), with huge mahogany bass projection you feel against your chest - the CV bracing on these First Editions (normally reserved for the 800/900/Presentation series) in combination with the dread size driven by the full-length scale gets everyone's attention, and has to be heard to be believed. It's a loud, articulate, and pronounced mahogany guitar. The videos I added at the bottom are all 2013 First Editions, and that's how it sounds. The 2013 FEs are the only stock all-hog Taylors with CV bracing, and it really does make a big difference. The tone, volume and headroom are different from any other 510 or 520 I’ve heard, with the mids and lows of an all-hog, the brightness and clear separation of the Taylor CV bracing, with volume and power galore, while experiencing no breakup from the dread shape. Great punch, bottom end, volume, note clarity, and balance, it has more sustain than most expect out of an all-hog guitar. I don’t know what else you could want in a hog dread. In contrast, the "regular" 520's bracing is "Forward Shifted Pattern With Relief Route." Taylor on CV Bracing, see - https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...atures/bracing

See attached doc re: Taylor's description of the all-hog guitar sound/application.

If it's such a great guitar, why hasn’t it been played?** When I started learning guitar last year, I bought 3 Taylors (and a couple of lesser choices) to get a rapid handle on what types/sizes/woods/tones/necks, etc., I preferred, with the understanding I'd sell off the ones that didn't fit. I quickly found lower bouts > 15" irritated a bad right shoulder after 15 minutes, so I stopped playing the big ones (also had a great GA8, since sold on Reverb, so you can check that feedback), and focused on Taylor's Grand Concert size. The 520 has been in its case since purchased new,** kept in a humidity-controlled room except for its time with Taylor (grrrr, below), no animals, no kids, no smoke, no aftershave, never out of the house, never gigged, case hardly opened.** No dings/dents, no scratches/scrapes, no fret wear, no marks on pickguard - no excuses or explanations. If you want a "new" 2013 Taylor Mahogany Dread First Edition, this is your only option, but it's a good one to have.

I put this on the market back in April, but pulled it when a small finish lift at the bridge necessitated a warranty finish repair by Taylor that took between mid-June and the end of August 2017 to complete. See attached docs for what Taylor did:

Taylor:
  • Refinished the entire top
  • Reset the neck, though it didn't need it - straightedge now sits about 1/32 above the bridge under tension (used to just kiss the leading edge of the bridge).
  • Gave it a Factory setup - Action is Taylor-spec 6/64 and 4/64 w/original unmodified nut/saddle
  • Checked it over from top to bottom and wrote a letter confirming the guitar has no issues as of August 28, 2017

Original saddle and nut are unmodified. Spacing is standard Taylor spec at 1 3/4" nut and 2 3/16" saddle. Significant to the prospective purchaser, Taylor’s inspection found no defects or other issues in the guitar, as noted on the attached letter.

The exterior looks perfect, like new, although it appears Taylor's repair shop spilled a small drop of something on the inside of the back during the refinish, 1" to the upper-left of the label, just beneath the brace, during the refinish - at least I don't remember that being there when it left me in June (grrrrr). Measures about 1/4" X 1/2", oblong. You can't see it when looking straight at the soundhole or playing, you have to peer in and look up, and to the left of the label. It's just a slight discoloration, but whatever, it's there now (grrrrr). You'll want to see it, so see the last soundhole pic and look just to the right of the bass E string, just below the brace, or you can just follow the arrow to the circle, your choice. Seriously, Taylor did a great job and I have no complaint about any aspect of their work here, or their handling of the issue. A top-notch company that takes very good care of its customers - reason enough to get a Taylor, if you don't already have one, or even if you don’t want a guitar - they’re that good.

It's a spotless (almost, except for that spot of whatever it is inside on the back (grrrrr)) superior Taylor mahogany dread that comes in its original Taylor First Edition hard case (excellent condition, complete with "First Edition" plaque), shipped in a new Taylor box. Includes all original case candy, and all of the First Edition goodies listed in one of the pics. Price includes shipping via signature-required UPS in continental US. I have a 3-day return policy if purchased on Reverb, in the unlikely event you don't like it.

NOTE: Guitar is a pure acoustic - no electronics - that's either a plus (me) or a minus, depending on your needs. Thanks for looking.

** I refer to "unplayed condition," and "never played," and by that I mean there is no evidence that anyone has played this guitar, and in fact there has been less than an hour spent on it since I bought it new. As a 2013, normal expectation would be that it's been used over that period, but not this one, and I want to make that clear because it influences my price point. It was NOS in a brick/mortar store for 3 years - someone could have asked to strum it. Since I've owned it, I have spent less than 2 hours trying a few cowboy chords and single note melodies as I went through my decision process. I assume the Taylor shop personnel must have done what they needed to, to ensure all's well. That's what I'm selling. I knew early on I was going to sell it due to its size, only, so I deliberately didn't put any playing time on it to keep the max resale value, simple as that.

Thanks for looking.

Binding and Taylor letter: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4417/3...5f3a9200_b.jpg https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4381/3...dc5e3d92_b.jpg

Interior Stain

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4476/36826399173_bc89fe2a54_b_d.jpg[img]

Last edited by ChrisN; 11-12-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Not only is this one the least expensive Taylor 520 First Edition on the internet, it's the least expensive Taylor 520 - period. If you've considered trying a like-new Taylor mahogany dread, this is one to consider. Life is short - don't let passing this opportunity become another regret.

Last edited by ChrisN; 10-04-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

As the proud owner of a similar Taylor 524 First Edition, I can only imagine what this dread version brings to the party. I hope that somebody purchases this amazing guitar before my last bit of willpower leaves the top of the hour glass....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-22-2017, 02:34 PM

Thanks RP - it sounds like it's carrying its own amplifier. Looking for someone who's in the mood for mahogany and doesn't mind being loud.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:03 AM

I've reduced the price on this beautiful Taylor mahogany dread. If you've had a hankering (ask your grand dad if unsure what that is), now's the time to pull the trigger on this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars